• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Risen 2: Dark Waters

guenthar

Powder Monkey
Risen 2: Dark Waters has been announced and they are going with a pirate theme this time. Below is a link to the press release which also has a link to their website.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/newthread.php?do=comments&f=10&ref=10&cid=16794

Thanks Gun, I got some more info ans artwork on the main screen.

This one might be a keeper :)

Well, from what I've been able to dig up on this one, you won't command a vessel or do any sailing. It will primarily be an RPG, in the same vein of the first one, only further along the timeline in the game with a pirate cutlass and firearm feel to it.

Never the less, it looks to be interesting, especially since I enjoyed Risen and its predecessors, Gothic 1, 2, 3 and 4 so much.

Cap'n Drow

It is supposed to be on several islands so either any ship travel will be automatic or you will be traveling between islands in a different way.

Here are 2 new articles about Risen 2 from GDC and it looks like there is a good chance of you being able to use a ship,

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1153294p1.html
http://gdc.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6301598&pid=622500&mode=previews

There is a new cinematic trailer for Risen 2.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/04/12/risen-2-dark-waters-cinematic-trailer

There is a new interview with Daniel Oberlerchner from Deep Silver in which he confirms that you play as a pirate with your own ship and crew. I posted a link to the interview below.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-risen-2/715970

Thanks for the heads-up mate! :dance

I posted this on the front page as well, but thought I would post it here because I know some of you never even look at the front page!! I was looking around for some infor about Risen 2, but couldn't find much until I ran across there forums. Here are a few of the things I noticed while I was reading through the list, some of them sound pretty cool, but there are a few that are very disappointing :

1. one of first tasks is to become accepted by pirate faction (source)
  2. the hero needs to climb the pirate hierarchy and become a pirate captain in order to have his own ship (source)
  3. hero uses his ship as a sort of base camp (e.g. to retrieve the companions he has recruited during the game) (source)
  4. it is not just a matter to visit an island and then leave it behind, going to the next island: the story is more subtile and will require the players to visit several times the islands (source)
  5. of course, expect many pirates; but not “Caribbean” type, rather the “bandits sailing the seas” type => parrots and wood legs are taboo (source: GameStar 2011/5).
  6. known factions: pirates, inquisition and voodoo-like (source)
  7. only one companion at a time can accompany the hero outside of the ship; he helps the hero with his skill set, participates to the dialogs and makes comments (source); the hero can heal the companion but not change his equipment, inventory or modify his stats (source)
  8. companions NPC are immortal (for story reason) but can be knock down unconcious (source)
  9. companions NPC are not leveling up and toward the end of the game, the hero will have to finish the job alone (source)
  10. there is a high probability that there will be a brothel.
  11. there are toilets (latrines).
  12. there are several islands (vs. only Faranga in Risen 1); each island will be between 1/3 and 2/3 of Faranga size (source), or equivalent size (source)
  13. travel between island is by ships
  14. the islands have different climates and environments.
  15. there will be fast travelling points (similar to teleporters): rowboats (source); they are located at strategic points along the coasts and it is necessary to find at least 2 before to travel fast from one to the other (source)
  16. the sea is populated by various sea creatures attacking the ships
  17. there are firearm: muskets, pistols, etc…; they will offer a larger itemization than the conventional (cross)bows (e.g. number of shoots); they can be improved with special ammunitions (source) and the best ones are reserved for people who have excellent relationships with the inquisition (source)
  18. there are even canons at certain point(s) of the story.
  19. the game is using the “bump mapping” technique and displays realistic clouds in real time instead of a skybox.
  20. each island corresponds to a loading zone but streaming is still used within a given island
  21. there are special movement skills (“dirty tricks”) such as sending sand in the eyes, using a tamed parrot, … ( source)
  22. NO BIG SEA BATTLE (it is a RPG game, not a battle simulation one) ( source)

You can read the full list of features over at the Risen 2 forums HERE! And you can read this story in it's full HTML glory on the front page HERE!

Taken from the FAQ:
faq_arrow_open.png
How do you get from scene to scene?

The player can go by ship from one island to the other.

Why do I have the feeling that all that means is you'll sail freely until you hit an invisible wall and serious temporary lag, then continue on into the next scene after loading is complete? That reeks of the random jerky horseback travel of Oblivion. Yikes.

Back