• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Risen 2: Dark Waters

I pre-ordered this one and just finished playing it (roughly a total of 40 hours to complete with pretty much all side quests etc completed).

I found it really enjoyable and the ending (while a little easy) felt quite satisfying particularly with the final interaction between the characters.

It was a little too short for my liking and unfortunately you can't continue afterwards (so if you buy some DLC you probably have to load a save game before the ending so you can play it).

Definitely there is no sailing aspect to the gameplay (just cutscene sailing between islands), however it definitely does feel like a pirate game to me.

I've been waiting for this one for a while and I'm only disappointed that it wasn't a lot larger.

So back to AOP2 for me...

Risen 2 Dark Waters is such a wonderful and amazing game. I just like it. It is full of enjoy. I just love this game.

I played this game and the first Risen, oh god was the first one bad... I mean, BAD! So the second one was coming out and I figured that the developers HAD to have improved on the game... right? Oh man I was wrong, so wrong.

Besides the fact that there is no naval combat in a god damned pirate themed game, lets look at the core of the game and see what's wrong with it.

1. The combat system. Oh my god, I don't think I've seen a game with a worse combat system before. The combat is impossible to enjoy. You will NOT have any degree of fun with the combat in this game. If you get hit by anything, and I mean ANYTHING, you get staggered for a couple of seconds. This is alone undermines the game in its entirety. The combat in this game ends up coming down to you trying to get the first hit in so you can stun your target before it stuns you, and even then some targets can not be stunned. There's no thought to it, no strategy, and most importantly no fun.

2. The skill system. I have not seen a more stupid design for how you learn new skills and progress your skills as well. First off, if you want to learn how to kick an enemy (and let me tell you, you WILL need to learn this skill if you want to make it anywhere in the game) you need to find someone to TEACH YOU HOW TO KICK AN ENEMY. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? It's not enough that you need to find someone to teach you how to kick, YOU NEED TO PAY THEM OUT THE ASS! Seriously, you better save every fucking gold coin you get (assuming you play this garbage) because you're going to end up blowing it all on one skill that you need. Now, here the best part. To advance your skills, you need to pay to advance your skills. Yes, you need to pay the fucking air to advance your skills that you already have or have learned.

EDIT: Disregard my statement on having to spend gold on advancing your skills. You need gold to buy new skills, but skills you currently have are advanced using glory, a fancier name for experience. My mistake.

3. The plot. The game failed miserably to draw me in from the start, and it was there that I knew the game was not going to be good. I didn't expect it to be good, but god I didn't expect it to be fucking horrible. The plot picks up from the first Risen. There are these titans who are awakening and just in general causing bad shit to happen. Unoriginal to say the least, but they could have made it work if they really wanted to. The plot is a fucking mess. I really can't explain it you just need to play the game to see what I mean here.

tl;dr: This game is so bad it should be considered as a replacement to one of the deadly sins. I've played terrible games in my life, and for a long time I thought Deep Black: Reloaded was the absolute worse I've ever played, or that could have been released even. While that game is so bad it makes me want to vomit, Risen 2 is a fucking mess and you should stay away from it at all costs.

Bit harsh but yeah most of what you say is right.. the game is a big disappointment.. but like you I figured that out in the very beginning when you can just TELL based on the limitations so I learned to accept it early on and not build my hopes up.. which made me enjoy the game quite a bit after a while!

Even the DLC packs were shitty and again another game releasing DLC within the first weeks of the game release.. AKA CON!!

I can't remember what DLC it was but one of them just made me stop wanting to play.. It was about some ridiculous so called "quest" where you had to hunt down some dinosaurs and destroy their eggs on EVERY island.. It was like one of those World of Warcraft quests where you have to kill 30 of this and 20 of that and then get a crappy reward.

I liked the characters though and the voice acting was pretty decent. But as you said they really haven't thought or tried hard with this game and its a big shame because the first one was a very enjoyable game with lots of room for potential. I expected to see new features but just found new limitations.

I think maybe the console platform was to blame for a lot of the limitations though, like most games these days..

The game is just another overhyped sequel like Dragon Age 2 etc. I recommend anyone who is curious to just wait for the Xmas Steam Sale and buy it for 75% off or whatever..

Luckily I got the pre order at a good price so wasn't stung for like £35 like a lot of people heh..

I played this game and the first Risen, oh god was the first one bad... I mean, BAD! So the second one was coming out and I figured that the developers HAD to have improved on the game... right? Oh man I was wrong, so wrong.

I gave this game two honest tries, and both times I just couldn't take anymore past the second island. The combat I was willing to overlook how horrible it was, but past that the game is just... boring. The game feels empty and... bleh. Take this from a guy who's played games like Morrowind. Morrowind feels lonely as fuck, but damn is it fun. It rivals Skyrim for me very closely.

It doesn't feel like I'm doing anything in the game. The game fails to draw me in. This just goes to show that a well designed game will always always always always always ALWAYS beat a badly designed game, where all it has going for it are the visuals. Risen 2 looks incredible, that's probably the only thing it has going for it. Of course this is the case for gamers that actually have a brain and use it for more than calling someone gay over a microphone.

Back