• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Roche Brasiliano

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Playing the chapter "A Kidnapping", I tracked down Roche Brasiliano's ship, pounded it with grapeshot to weaken the crew before boarding, and the coward surrendered. Before boarding to take Brasiliano prisoner, I saved game in case this did silly things to the quest.

It did. A little while later he jumped overboard and escaped. That didn't prevent me from handing him over in Havana.

After reloading the savegame and capturing Brasiliano again, I made it to Havana without him jumping overboard. After I'd handed him over for execution, Brasiliano was still a prisoner in my hold.

Normally you'd either sink Brasiliano's ship or you'd board, fight your way through the ship, and duel him in his cabin. The story presumably assumes that you didn't quite kill him, you beat him into submission; or that after sinking the ship, you dragged him out of the water.

@Bartolomeu o Portugues: the easy solution to this is to give Roche Brasiliano the "nosurrender" attribute so you can't take him prisoner, neatly avoiding any chance of him escaping or staying in your hold. The complicated solution is to allow him to be taken prisoner, set attributes so he can't escape and can't be ransomed, and then remove him when he's handed over. Your choice...

The "nosurrender" attribute means we must kill him in the cabin or sink his ship, right?
If so, we must add in a questbook, Roche was wounded during the battle but survived and now we must hand him over in Havana.
Another point, I'm not sure, but Roche is with Elting in the Havana fort when we hand him over?
In this case, you should confirm if Roche has a resurrection or no resurrection attribute.
Just to be sure, he will show up in the fort.

"Nosurrender" does indeed mean you will have to kill him in the cabin or sink the ship. Most of the time you'll probably do one or the other anyway. If the questbook is to have an addition saying that Roche was wounded but survived, we may as well go for the "nosurrender" option because that way we don't need to check whether he's a prisoner and then have another questbook entry.

Especially since checking that he's a prisoner is not that easy. When the battle is over, Roche Brasiliano is dead regardless. This is because when you take an enemy captain prisoner, he's cloned and then killed, and that's why any quest case triggered by "NPC_death" will work even if he surrenders. It's that clone, with a generic, random ID, who is actually in your hold.

Character "Roche Brasiliano" is not in Havana fort to be handed over. You defined your own clone, "Rock Brasiliano", and he's the character in the fort. That's why the quest has never broken in the past when the original Roche Brasiliano did not surrender.

ROCK Brasiliano?
I have "Rocoso Balboa" in the Devlin Opera by the way. ;)

(Google Translate if you don't get the lame reference)

By the way, I also killed Brasiliano in his captain's cabin and thus experienced that there is a safety clone for his arrest in the Havana fort.

Back