• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sail from Island to Island in windowed mode

Hornblower

Landlubber
Aye! My search didn't show it. As the topic says... is it possible to sail from Island to Island in 3D mode? Without using the Speedmap. And then.. is it possible to do this windowed, so that the game runs during one works at the desktop? I know this is possible in AoP. Is it posssible in AoP2? thx very much

Ok, so I found out that it might not be properly possible right now. How about the direct sailing mode... was that possible in AoP oder in PotC? Don't remember right now. And did they manage to get the ship encounters going? ahoy

POTC has the ability to sail from island to island and encounter other ships as well as goods floating as if a ship had been sunk or thrown things overboard to lighten the weight so they could go a little faster.

As for this has not been done yet although some people from time to time try to test some changes out and see if its made any difference. In COAS stock and modded version you can sail to a island unline POTC where in stock game you could not. This is why people thik it is possible to make the game generate the towns but it needs a coder to get this to work i think.

Playing in windowed mode does work but the game window doesn't minimize it just allows you to view or open new windows like interent explorer etc. You would have to have a short cut to your desktop in the quick launch so you can open things like text documents etc from there for faster and easier access. To play the game in windowsed mode open "engine Configuration" and look for the code bellow and change the 1 to a 0, save and exit the file and start COAS.
Code:
full_screen = 1

Thank you Luke! So.. do you or anybody use the direct sail feature? As far as I read it takes not only long but far to long to get from A to B. One day ingame takes one hour or so. So how long does it take to sail lets say from Guadelupe to Nevis (Next to each other)?

Ahh since Sea dog Im obsessed with this game. But still there is so much to achieve for the developers. I just wish they would be a little more like the guys who keep the Total War series running. After all the Jonny Depp films Im sure it would be a massive hit!! There are so many features which have not been seen or used in a game before. Imagine if you have the game running in a window at your Desktop while doing other stuff just because sailing is an important part of this game. You could sell Ads which appear from time to time and much more. I'm sure one day this will happen ;D

Well, I use sometimes "direct sail" option, especially on timed missions.

But, it's not exactly direct sail, because you need to go to map mode from time to time to switch the "map pieces" (that's what I call them, no idea what their actual name is) :)

It has it's advantages though, no encounters and you do cover a lot more ground - I made it from tortuga to curacao in 2 days using this method.

To answer your question, technically you could reach Nevis in about 6 or 7 ingame hours if the wind conditions are favorable, but you'd have to go to map mode somewhere half of the way in between to switch the "map pieces" (maybe even twice) - good method to determine where you are are forts - if you see distance to it with your spyglass you're in the right "map piece", and if fort is there, but you don't see the distance (or any other info) - go to map mode, sail for couple of seconds there and then go back - it will take you back a bit but in most cases you'll make the transition to the next piece. I experimented with this sailing from tortuga to la vega (that pirate colony on hispanola).

Colonies you can reach with direct sail are (from what I've seen): la francois(sp?) - fort de france, santiago - puerto principe, port-au-prince - la vega (maybe even santo domingo, but i'm not sure about that one), and port royal - fort orange (not 100% sure about this one, but i think it's possible)

EDIT: oh, and time consumption is not that bad, since in sail mode you can get time compression to x8 (x6 in battle), it's slow but it's not that bad

Ahoy Skodarab! Many thanks for your writing. This is really informative. Do you actually refer to PotC or CoaS? I did some serious reading yesterday and as far as i figured out there are ship encounters in d-s of PotC. Unfortunately the method using time compression like you pointed out goes in the opposit direction what I think d-s should be. Anyway...

I'm up to date now what concerns Akella, the game and the code. It's a sad thing but I hope the communities wish for the better game will triumph over the fear of violating some promises that were made to a diseased company (concerning the code). I think it's just not realisitc to think one could give it to a community for free and expect it to be a secret forever. If the code was under GNU License or something I think it could be a solution to get things going. That's just my opinion and I speak up because there is a thread concerning this matter and I think its just too quite there for too long as far as I read yesterday. But I also trust you guys involved and it's just amazing what this community achieved over the years. I also worship the guys that were Akella for staying on the topic for so long and giving their best giving us a dream and for keeping it alive over the years. Now I want the final Sea Dogs as much as I wanted it ten years ago already ^^ . Maybe I find the time to do something myself someday. All in all CoaS including up to date textures (like Empire Total War models maybe) and a working direct sail mode would do it for me. cheers

PS. "Pirates of the burning sea" is free to play since last week or so. I'll have a look at it now.

Regardless of what promises we have made concerning the source code, if there's no people interested in doing anything with it,
releasing it into the public domain is going to do no good. And if a person IS interested,
that person can gain our trust while doing work on the PROGRAM folder, where a LOT is possible already proven by the PotC Build Mod.
Additionally, it'll help that person get used to the game's structure, which always helps.
And then after a while, we can give him access to the source code and we can continue from there.
What we need is the people and that's what we need.

@Hornblower, it's CoAS I'm talking about, from what I've seen on this forum, direct sail is possible in PoTC

EDIT: well, not in PoTC but build mod

Back