• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sailing 2.0

HundertzehnGustav

Watchman... up there, thinking.
... if i were to climb the shrouds, to enlarge my horizon, look further than W,A,S,D...

Lay the Powder and the Cannons aside, and only focus on the Sailing...
With the ambition to learn the basics, but not stay on a one mast triagle sail cutter...
but to manage big stuff, up to sailing a fully rigged brig in adverse winds.
handling the sails in a correct manner, and being punished for lacking discipline by breaking my masts in a storm.

What Software could i try?
I seen a Demo of "Virtual Sailor 7"... but the 5 minutes of gameplay did not tell me much!
And i didnt see any Big sailor ships in there either.
...all ears for suggestions and ideas!

Virtual Sailor has HUNDREDS of additional ships to be downloaded. The official site has a few to be downloaded: http://www.hangsim.com/vs/boats.php?dzone=bsail
There are many more though. I remember an HMS Victory and Santissima Trinidad model, for example.

However, mast-breaking is not involved and neither is controlling separate sails. In fact, I don't think a game that has all that even exists.
Eventually it will do with the Hearts of Oak game we've started developing here, but that'll be a while.

that page has some ships that are similar to our "local" lugger, schooner or brig.
bashing a Cutty Sark or a Gorch Fock around the Baltics is not what i am, ultimately, aiming for.
More like, learning to push a Golden Hind, a Victory or a Constitution to its limits.

So Virtual Sailor7 is still a good way to go then.
I will buy me a copy.

BUT...
where are the ships to be found you are speaking of?
is there a Place o the net where the VS7 sailors gather and do their modeling?

screenshots.php
http://library.qualitysimulations.com/screenshots.php?id=1198919458&img=exterior1

Wasa...
always liked this tragic ship.
if the screenshot is anywhere close to accurate, it is no wonder she turned heads over heels...
even to a guy who hates maths and physics!

It used to be very difficult to find all the add-ons made for Virtual Sailor back in the days I was there. Then I made my website that had ALL of them on there.
Then my site died several times over a couple of years and eventually I gave up and moved over here. It seems that they have gone back to the old ways of "I can't bloody find anything". :facepalm

Anyway, you can find Alan Winter's EXCELLENT USS Constitution model here: http://millenniumdock.bravepages.com/Pages/VS-Boats.htm
Santissima Trinindad by my old friend Andrés Merino is here: http://usuarios.arsystel.com/naviost/nst/I-3D.htm
There are various historical sailing vessels on this page as well, including HMS Victory, HMS Bounty and some others: http://www.hangsim.com/vs/boats.php?dzone=hist
And don't forget the two "special" ships (not actually Age of Sail though) on this page made by... someone you might know ;) : http://www.hangsim.com/vs/boats.php?dzone=bship

BTW: It IS possible to download one of those ships and put them into the demo so you can see what it is like.
Just remove one of the existing ships from the demo and it will let you. Then you can try before buying it.
Because after all... Virtual Sailor isn't an amazing tall ship simulator from what I remember. CAN still be fun though. :onya

on facebook they have this button that sez " Like ". well...

hey you like "the far side of the world" don't you?
The "Bremen" is a specially built ice-strengthened eco-cruise ship which makes regular tours from South America to the Falklands and other South Atlantic islands as well as to the Antarctic Peninsula.

:)

Blooodyell?? WOW!
canon-03.jpg

I understand the game environment is not as complex as a true hardcore simulator associated to proper cutting edge graphics.
It is not a FSX for Sailors...
http://hangsim.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3236&start=40

50-395-thickbox.jpg

But the Visual department, especially for the 5 dollar addons, seems amazing!
no BS, a lot of accuracy and love in there!
here! a Bellona!! and without any Modeling limitations she is HOT! and self shadowing and stuff...
woah woah!!
34-230-thickbox.jpg

Yep, the Men behind these machines have done their homework...
O.O
Will check it out, and then keep myself informed on hearts of oak (HoO?).
Upping the complexity of handling a BIG sailing ship is the direction i want to go.

and then adding the Gunnery.
then the boarding
the Maintenance.
the Officers
the sailors.

Blow my mind...

24-144-thickbox.jpg

Well, I wish you a lot of fun with Virtual Sailor! I know I sure had a ton of fun with it in the past as well. :doff

Its the logical "next step" i think.
But still only an intermediate platform...
Hearts of oak might be the "have it all" Pirate sailing game from what i see.

6426995705_19a2eee90c_b.jpg
... look at the back... the doors and all the subdivisions are there.
an entire world of terms and descriptions, objects and functions to dive into.
amaaazing.
Got myself a copy of the Wicked Wench... Santissima trinidad... now off to see if i can not use my X-52 pro instead of the Keyboard.

I think my GOF1.3 Character will hate me because i neglect him.
:D

Anyone who has an interest in these kinds of ships (from triremes to Hanse Kogge all the way to SSNs or CVEs...
should at least take a look at this program!

Note- That game doesn't really simulate square riggers at all. That isn't to say that it isn't a good game. You just can't simulate such complex vessels unless your program was designed to do it from the start. Right now, the only way to really learn how to sail them is to join a crew. There is this, but it's very hard to master unless you already know what you are doing. For smaller modern vessels, I use Sail Simulator 5. It's about as realistic as it gets. The downside is hat it isn't moddable.

I see that... Virtual sailor..
is an attempt at complexity.
But complex...
it isnt.

took a look at vehiecle simulator.
what wasnt there in VS, is further washed out with vehiecle simulator.
proof of concept, okay. hardcore simulation... nope.

Taking a look at Surprise simulator, it completely lacks the game, enjoyment, passion factor - or it can not convey it.
But it is a much more useful, much more educative tool for this geeky fool.
I shall sink a few ships in that, see how i do.

weeehehehehehell? its the first time i made a sailing ship go fricking backwards.
wind came from the right aft quarter.
Told myself, look, this si cool, here you have all the tools you need.
Now turn into the wind and make the nose come around.
not turn from the wind to make it come round with the wind in the back, thats too easy.
you gots to approach the dead angle fast, so the momentum of the ship can be used to pass the dead point.
let the hull, and the forces that pivot your ship help you.
and once you pass the dead point (wind on the nose), and the nose comes , just a little, more and more into the wind,
... let the triangles above the bowsprit help you complete your turn. Increase the exposed sail area. increase the momentum.

i am proud to say i failed.
:D
I have the nose IN the wind,no idea how to use the rudder, no authority over the ship at all, and the wind is pushing me backwards towards an island.
Awesome fuck-up.

This is defnitely something i like.
This has got to go into hearts of oak... or at least a lite version of it.

This is much much better.
Its not only about having the wind push your shoulders.
that decreases your sail area that is exposed.
having the nose slightly mis-aligned to the wind axis (into the wind, not in the wind shadow!), and thereby expose more sail area, will make more wind push onto the sails.
less efficency in theory, but i guess the friction of the wind molecules is what matters.
because with the wind full back, the after most sails create a shadow area for the main and fore mast, affectively reducing the wind forces applied to these.
reduction of this shadow area is Key for speed.
(how to still manage course... we shall see)

The "spanker" (ah! i like the sound of THAT!) can be used to turn the ship, and is in fact a key element when turning.

This is amazing... 15 kt wind, i manage 7.1 heading straight north on the heading i desire, wind around 330°

because the heading desired is the basis of the sails being used or not.
and dictates rudder and spanker and jiib position.
I have a sense of slightly slipping north in fact, like a crab going a bit sideways to compemnsate the wind heading.

awesome.
lets see what this thing can do.
much deeper than VS7!
got to write the creator a mail...

wind 250°, still crabbing north at 6.1 kts... deck tilted 15°...
now manual control of rudder and yards.
do NOT touch that spanker, or it'll flip the ship off course by 30°!
Yeeee-haaA!

Shit man... this is the good stuff.

having the nose slightly mis-aligned to the wind axis (into the wind, not in the wind shadow!), and thereby expose more sail area, will make more wind push onto the sails.
less efficency in theory, but i guess the friction of the wind molecules is what matters.
because with the wind full back, the after most sails create a shadow area for the main and fore mast, affectively reducing the wind forces applied to these.
reduction of this shadow area is Key for speed.

You seem to be getting the hang of the basic part, so some more advanced advice: If you are sailing with the wind coming from your stern, you can furl everything on your mizzen mast, and furl your mainsail. That will let more wind get to the fore mast, which is where you want it when sailing downwind.

I have diagrams that will help you turn into the wind. I'll upload those the next time I upload references for Rossiya. Using the proper method, you can turn 180 degrees pointing through the wind every time.

Hey that would be much appreciated!
I keep getting stuck... sometimes i manage to turn... manytimes not.
It looks ridiculous... and i am glad its only a simulation of the elements.
In real life i would have killed myself and my crew by now.
Just by sheer incompetence.

Back