• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sailing Problem

Danny Morgan

Landlubber
I have managed to play the game for a few hours and I am having a lot of fun with it, but I have now run into a problem. When I try to sail to another island, if I am in the 3rd person view initially sailing out of port I can go anywhere and make progress. However, I can see land disappearing behind me, but I never see any land approaching. I have to go to the overhead view to see where I have made it to and even if I have somehow managed to steer in the right direction and make it near land, I still had not seen the land in the sailing mode. That is problem #1.

Problem #2 starts after going from sailing view to overhead view. At that point, no matter what I do, my ship never makes any progress after that. I can speed it up from the overhead view and watch all these other ships moving, but mine will not move except to change directions. No forward progress at all. I can also switch back to sailing view and speed it up to 30X and leave it that way for a long time. When I then go back to check for progress on the overhead view I find that I am still in the same place.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Any ideas? All help is appreciated.

1: just keep on going and you'll be fine. wait and see. some voyages can take rediculously long. be sure to actually have the directsail mod installed, as it doesn't come with build 13 final.

2: directsail doesn't work when going from overhead view to 3D sailing view from a random point on the sea. you have to start at an island so the game has proper coördinates.

I will check the downloads for the directsail mod. Also, I know that some voyages can take very long, but when in the overhead view I can leave it running in x3 mode and see the messages at the top advising that I been at sea *** number of days. This number goes on and on for weeks and my ship never moves. Also, all of the other ships as well as storms seem to move very fast even while I am sitting still.

Sailing from island to island is done in the worldmap mode using the usual character forward/backward/left/right controls. By default you cannot sail from island to island in 3D sailing mode. However, you can find the DirectSail mod in the downloads section which DOES enable this functionality. Voyages in 3D sailing mode do take a long time though and it only works when you left from an island. When entering 3D sailing mode in the middle of the sea, you indeed will not make any progress.

Pieter,
This is very helpful. As for the controls: "Sailing from island to island is done in the worldmap mode using the usual character forward/backward/left/right controls" I use the left mouse key for forward. Do I need to use this key for forward in the World Map mode? I will download the direct sail mod next.

I just downloaded the directsail mod. One quick question, it says to install it on top of the build 13. Does that mean to open PotC before installing it?

Another edit: I may have found out myself (that's what everyone was suggesting I do anyway, right?) I unzipped it into the "Program Files\Bethesdasoftworks\PotC". I will give it a try and see if that worked. If this did, WOW! I may actually be learning something here!

you're supposed to use W and S to move your ship on the worldmap. A and D are for steering.

arrow keys? never tried that before.

oh: try pressing TAB when on the worldmap. could be useful.

The arrow key seems to only work for forward and back. I still have to use A & D for steering. I will give the TAB key a try next time I get a chance to play.

D.

you could try putting your name in your signature. saves the time adding it every time.

does modifying the keys so you steer with the arrow keys work? if it does, i think i'll give it a try.

Back