• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Saint Martin's Jungle Cannon

SillyWilly

Landlubber
Ahoy :)

On Saint Martin, when leaving Marigot to the jungle, there is a group of soldiers and a cannon facing the walls. Whenever I go near it the soldiers attack and the cannon kills me and the soldiers near me lol.

What's the story with this cannon? Doesn't seem to have a purpose other than to murder everyone.

France and Holland are at war with each other. The Dutch are besieging Marigot and the French are besieging Philipsburg.

There is a tunnel through the sewers with an entrance somewhere in the town. Try to find it. It's not entirely safe either but it's a lot less dangerous than Dutch artillery!

Ahhhh ok! I guess the Dutch attack me because i’m coming out of Marigot? I’m friendly to the Dutch.

Yes, although technically it's not the Dutch attacking you. Random explosions are set to happen at both Marigot and Philipsburg exits. The story is that it's the Dutch or French siege artillery, but the explosions don't care whether you're a pirate hated by both nations, a privateer loved by both nations, or the admiral of the Dutch navy.

But yes, the Dutch are firing artillery in the general direction of Marigot, and when you leave the town you are in the line of fire. Artillery is not accurate so the Dutch couldn't aim carefully to miss you even if they did know who you are.

The tunnel through the sewers is funny. Especially when the fiendish thugs that are lurking there are forced to swim towards you, but you're getting the high ground Obi-Wan style in one of the alcoves and shoot or slash them as they're swimming. ;)

I just wish the two towns were a bit more interesting, St. Martin could be a really cool island.

You mean apart from a war outside the gates, a flooded version of Speightstown dungeon, and raids from the other side if you talk to one of the guards?

Philipsburg has one more surprise. In the port area, find a citizen named Adam Groot and talk to him. Keep talking until... well... given his name, it had to be done. :D

You mean apart from a war outside the gates, a flooded version of Speightstown dungeon, and raids from the other side if you talk to one of the guards?
Exactly because of that! That's the interesting stuff that makes it stand out!

I'm just not a fan of the towns, which are purely recycled from stock game scrap. I know these locations as side-districts of other towns, and that's what they feel like. Especially Philipsburg looks exactly like the thing it is: Two overcrowded back-alleys of the Spanish stock game colony, not a self-contained dutch town.

Ah. I used the long rifle to shot the cannons men. Didn't realise the sewer dungeon would take me to an escape.

Back