• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Sea Relations: When commander of group surrenders the whole group surrenders

That is probably what's needed to get true, clean nation relations code too. We'll see how far we get with all the rewrites.
At least this issue isn't generally a game-breaker.

Have you guys been keeping an eye out for fleets surrendering?
Did you notice anything going wrong with them with this week's updates yet?

This still happens in the 13 August update. However, I have not had a CTD problem looting the dead during boarding multiple ships - well done on this.

This still happens in the 13 August update.
Would've been too much to hope for that this one would have been fixed, eh? :facepalm

If you encounter it again, please make a Save At Sea and post it here so I can try to check what is going on.

However, I have not had a CTD problem looting the dead during boarding multiple ships - well done on this.
Uh? I wouldn't have expected anything to make any difference on that one. :confused:

Would've been too much to hope for that this one would have been fixed, eh? :facepalm

If you encounter it again, please make a Save At Sea and post it here so I can try to check what is going on.

Uh? I wouldn't have expected anything to make any difference on that one. :confused:
Might be that's my contribution because every character is now forced trough a extensive character check so his level is set right. Might be some characters where missing some attributes which they do get now.

Here's hoping you're right Levis. This always was a major pain in the stern because after a couple of small engagements you forget not to loot on a bigger one and then...CTD.

It seems that even after a complete rewrite of just about every code related to this problem, it still occurs.
That makes it a "Engine Limitation" for mysterious reasons, so I'm archiving this for the time being.
I'd still welcome reports of how frequently this happens and if ANY further relevant information becomes available.

When it happens, it would also be interesting to make a Save At Sea and then load that save and see if it is still wrong after that or has corrected itself.
I may have had this myself when I did a test with my Sea Relations code, but when I wanted to look into it based on the save I made, it was no longer the case. o_O

I think I did manage to get SOME improvement on this problem.
Apparently this DOES still occasionally happen, but when you make a Save At Sea and reload that, the ship(s) that turned neutral will have turned properly hostile again.
That seems to be its current state. Not entirely sure why, but it isn't worse than it was. ;)

This being my first post on this forum, I'd like to start out by thanking you guys for all that you'be done, creating something like this from such an old game I used to play in my childhood!

I'm using the latest build + update, and have no save game available since this happened a week ago and I just played further haha :')
Now on-topic; I was sailing as Michiel de Ruijter on his first ship, the Sloop-of-War, when I encountered a Spanish Royal Galleon and a Spanish Treasure Galleon. After giving them chase the Royal Galleon decided to chase after a small sloop I had conquered before, so I decided to set my sights on the Treasure Galleon. After a few minutes of fighting, when my hull was starting to give out, the Treasure Galleon finally surrendered, which also prompted the 'go to world map' icon in the upper left corner. After going in for the goods (couldn't swap the ship due to my rank) I decided to quicksave, and started chasing the Royal Galleon. (which did sink my other small sloop in order for revenge) Upon arriving at the Treasure Galleon turned out to be friendly to me, and the 'go to world map' icon was still in the upper left corner. Is this because of the surrender of the other ship? Am I supposed to let the other ship go after a surrender before boarding?

What I found out was that if I loaded the quicksave I previously mentioned, the remaining ship WOULD be hostile against me. Not that I would be able to defeat it in this case, but that was just something I was asking myself. Is it supposed to be this way?

On another note, If I reload a save which I saved on the world map, often I cannot move anywhere unless I first hit escape/f1 for options, which also prompts all messages like xx days of food and run into one message line, making it unreadable at all. Is this a known issue?

I'm sorry if I did not post this in the correct subforum, I hope me being a newbie here makes up for that whenever applicable.

Last edited:
Welcome! This is indeed the correct forum for posting suspected bug reports.

The problem whereby, when the flagship of an enemy fleet surrenders, the entire fleet sometimes surrenders with it, is known and unfortunately is built into the game engine so can not be fixed. As you found, if you save and then reload the game, the wrongly surrendered ship becomes hostile again. You can read more about it here:
Engine Limitation - Sea Relations: When commander of group surrenders the whole group surrenders | PiratesAhoy!

If you're too low a rank to command a ship, it doesn't prevent you from commanding the ship anyway. You'll just be operating at a disadvantage because you're not yet capable of handling such a large ship efficiently; this disadvantage will be shown by a couple of your skills being reduced. Likewise, if you want to put an officer onto a ship to take it as a prize and you get the warning that the officer lacks the skill to command it, disregard the warning and assign the officer anyway - it just means he won't be much good at commanding the ship in a fight, which isn't a problem if all you want to do is get the ship to a port and sell it. But your "Leadership" skill must be at least 5 if you are to command a fleet (which presumably it is, since you mention a second sloop on your side).

I only mentioned I'm playing as Michiel de Ruyter, not that he's standard a Naval Officer, which prevents me from swapping. This also prevents me putting officers on prize ships, because it says this officer can command ships up to rank X: what defines the level up to which an officer can command a ship? Is it his leadership or sailing skill, or his overall level?

And thanks for the quick reply! :)

Ah, yes - naval officers aren't allowed to swap ship until they're Commodore or higher (or the equivalent in different nations' navies, for Holland that would be "Kapitein ter Zee"). You have been assigned to your ship and you will command it, that's an order! But at that high a rank you're officially allowed to command a fleet and re-arrange it however you like, including pick a different ship as your flagship, which means you're allowed to capture a bigger ship and then swap to it.

The bit about the officer being able to command ships to rank X is determined by both "Leadership" and "Sailing". But, as I said, you can disregard that. You must have at least "Leadership" 5 if you're to put any officer onto anything. If you have that, and then put an officer onto a ship which is too good for him, then he won't be able to command it effectively in battle but can at least keep it afloat so you can take it to a port. Even if the officer is only capable of commanding tier 7 (some of the smallest ships you'll encounter), you can put him onto a tier 1 (big battleship) - he won't be able to do much with it but he'll be there, so the ship will stay with you until you can dispose of it.

@CaptainVane: To be certain, what modpack version are you playing?

I had hoped my recent(ish) rewrites of nation relations and on-sea relations would solve the "ship surrender" problems. But it didn't.
It partly did, because after loading a savegame now, the correct relations are restored.
Still some weirdness left, but we've run out of tricks to try to prevent it.

If you assign an officer with insufficient skills for his command, then he'll get a penalty for it.
Should be marked in RED now on the F2>Ship screen, assuming you're running a recent Beta 4 version.
This applies only on Realistic Game Mode though; on Arcade anything goes.

Ah, I thought putting an incompetent officer on a ship wasn't even possible. I'm playing on Realistic Game Mode with fast travel on land enabled. It's great that its possible to tweak settings to your likings.

I'm playing the Build 14 Beta 4 yes. It isn't too much of a hassle to quicksave/load whenever the flag ship surrenders, so to me it's not a problem.

On another note, If I reload a save which I saved on the world map, often I cannot move anywhere unless I first hit escape/f1 for options, which also prompts all messages like xx days of food and run into one message line, making it unreadable at all. Is this a known issue?

Do you know anything about this?

Do you know anything about this?
Doesn't sound familiar. While I have seen "piled up log messages" before, I've never needed to open and reopen the interfaces.
That being said, I don't usually play for very long because most that I do is quick tests.

Ah okay, also not that much of a problem to deal with.
I have tweaked some settings in internalsettings, but are there other files which you can also edit?

Another bug that I encountered a couple of times is that when you go from your ship deck to crew quarters or cargo hold (that are the ones which made it happen to me, there may be others) you freeze and in the upper left corner it says wherever you came from, but is locked. You are also unable to move or fast travel or do anything except for teleport somewhere. Upon teleportation you also won't be able to do anything... so i just reloaded haha

There are a few things you can change in "engine.ini". Display settings (resolution and windowed or full screen mode) will have been set when you first installed and ran the game, but if you change your mind you can edit them here. And I always set "numoftips" to 0 as I don't want graffiti all over the pretty loading screens. :)

There's also "BuildSettings.h", but anything which used to be set by that should now be more conveniently set from the "Options" menu available from the F1 screen rather than by editing the file.

Beyond that, not really. There's not much point in having options scattered across a lot of different files - better to keep them all in one or two places, then you can customise the game the way you like it with limited risk of fouling it up so that it doesn't work any more.

The files in "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\ENGLISH" are plain text and contain all the things people say, except for characters specific to storylines. You can play with those without much risk of breaking the game.

Back