• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sea Titans - Pirate Theme Survival/RPG

I am using UMA, so the character will eventually have clothing, hair, and a LOAD of customizations available. The same goes for all other characters in the game, as they are generated through an automated process then stored out as the 'recipe' of the character for use when loading back in. It will be fun to be able to change an NPC's clothes over time so they aren't always wearing the same thing. Maybe have a merchant wearing more or less fancy clothes based on how rich they are in game.

So, I would like to start roughing out the factions in the game. Eventually to become the 'Sea Titan' factions themselves. I would love some input from the community for names and flag ideas. Each faction will have certain abilities, styles (buildings, ships, etc), color styling, and some other small uniqueness that will make them a bit different to each other. Since the world concept is a bit stylized, the faction logos are going to be a bit simplistic, and a bit abstract. We don't want a lot of real world representation in the game. The only specific color that will exist will be a black flag for the independent pirate faction. Which, I believe, should still have a skull of some kind.

So, toss out some ideas for factions and we will see what makes it into the end game!

So, toss out some ideas for factions and we will see what makes it into the end game!
How real or fake or serious or funny would you like to go?

My first thought would be a bunch of realistic seafaring nations, but not the usual ones.
Take some Mediterranean corsairs, for example; or something Asian.
If you forget about historical accuracy altogether, you could throw Vikings and Romans in there.
At least all factions would be wildly distinctive with that approach... :unsure

Distinct is a key concept of the game design. The world will have different biomes that are similar to what we are used to, i.e. tropical near the equator, temperate in the middle, cold/arctic at the n/s. So we want some themes for the factions to be able to really utilize/enhance those biomes, e.g. the pirates will stick to the tropical tiles, the viking/nordic units stay more north, maybe even let it go to Aztecs or Polynesian stylings. There won't be massive towns, so we are trying to limit the building styles to modular ones that can be made fairly small and are visibly unique.

Well the hurricane set me back a bit, but here is the latest progress. Build menu prototype!
4fOVvT5.png

eUQwAEN.png

Ls63nn3.png

mUj7IDf.png

Good to see you back in business, mate!!
Yeah, things are starting to settle down here but I still tend to spend a lot of time down at the community center helping get supplies to those in need. I just had a couple of hours today in between work meetings that I tinkered with the building system again. Hopefully things get even more smoothed out because this is a bit tiring.

Yeah, things are starting to settle down here but I still tend to spend a lot of time down at the community center helping get supplies to those in need. I just had a couple of hours today in between work meetings that I tinkered with the building system again. Hopefully things get even more smoothed out because this is a bit tiring.
I'm sure it'll continue to get better. It has to, right? :onya

This is an old thread all ready - but I thought it still necessary to get some info out to those who still follow this thread and our work (Salty Sea Dogs) on our different projects - and not the least, Capt. Murphys cherished updates.

Capt. Murphy sadly passed away 28 of March after a few years battling cancer. This is the sole reason for the projects halting the last year's. Words cannot describe how sad I am about this, and the magnitude of the loss this is to his family, friends, Salty Sea Dogs and I would dare to say the Pirate/Age of Sails indie game genre.

I have not yet decided how to move forward with our projects - but I will be looking into possibilities of moving them forward again at some point.

Atm Murphys passing is too close for me to really make any solid decisions or inquiries. But I do promise to get back to you with some concrete info when the time comes, and I feel ready for it.

Best regards

Flannery

Last edited:
Back