• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Securing a New Laptop

Another day like this and I'll probably end up bald. I've been running into all sorts of weirdness:
- Windows Media Player: Apparently doesn't always add new music properly (not just my problem) and the
- Windows Media Player: I can't have my usual red bars visualisation on the screen at the same time as a small album art cover
That was DEFAULT BEHAVIOUR in the previous edition
- Had to uninstall and reinstall McAfee to allow it to use my still-valid and paid-for license
- The function buttons (F1-F12) all require the Fn button (WHY???)
- Windows Live Messenger doesn't nicely use the System Tray anymore when minimized, but instead fills up the taskbar
- The "Go to desktop" button went to the other side of the screen
- The "Quick Start" buttons disappear when the program is running
However, a download is considered "Internet Explorer", so when I'm downloading,
then close all windows and want to open a new window, I can't use the "Quick Start" button

In other words: WEIRDNESS GALORE!!! :shock

- The function buttons (F1-F12) all require the Fn button (WHY???)
- Windows Live Messenger doesn't nicely use the System Tray anymore when minimized, but instead fills up the taskbar
I think I found a way to fix these. :woot

I have always despised Windows Media player, especially the newer incarnations. Personally, I prefer the old style simple clean look, I just use Media Player Classic myself.

The function key thing is a real pain, why they default them like that is beyond me! :rolleyes:

I know you can fix the Quickstart button thing, but I can't remember right off, I'll look around and see if I can find it for you mate.

Function buttons is fixed now. The only issue is that F1-F12 is written in dark blue, which is a bit hard to read if there isn't much light.

I also ran into this post. LOL! :rofl
I know this has nothing to do wiht this post, but while I am on this totem pole, I want to also complain about things being moved around all the time. EVEN in the new version of windows 7 and office 2007 sometime the printer is on the right on the toolbar and sometimes it is on the left at the top, depending on what MICROSOFT program I am in. why cant ALL the programmers at Microsof tjust agree to drive on one side of the road... Make a decision and stick with it for a while. I mean come on... XP was the best OS you have ever had. The sales prove that... so many businesses decided to skip Vista and wait until the next version comes out... Sales slump. and now windows 7 is nothing more than a modified Vista. So hopefully we can hang on to XP PRO for a few more years until Microsoft gets the message. REDO XP Pro... make windows 8 more user friendly like XP was. so I dont really caare about all the fancy pretty stuff. I want a FREAKING FAST computer that is reiable. But I also NEED Microsoft due to compatibilties of other programs....

Microsoft, Listen to your users. the people in the trenches that use it daily. Come of ViJay B... Are you still listening? There are some of us that dont want the pretty boy graphics and changing background screens and fancy colors... We actually wnat to use our computers and do some work... Create a version for us thats Fast, simple, light, and most of all realible... OH and some standardizations would be nice also.
True though! :shock

Have a look at THIS Pieter, not sure it exactly what your looking for, but it may help some.

QuickStart RETURNS! WITH "View Desktop" button on the LEFT side of the screen. Thanks a lot, Thagarr! :woot

Welcome mate, glad you got it sorted! Microsoft has a bad habit of "fixing" things that aren't broken. and adding all kinds of new "features" that are! :rolleyes:

I'm getting all sorts of bizarreisms with this new laptop of mine. Here's a list of the main ones:
- Computer sometimes automatically, randomly and instantly reboots after logging in my user. When the reboot is complete, I got a "Windows was unexpectedly closed" error message on my screen.
- I cannot "register" Photoshop CS2; it gives a weird error message.
- WinZip 11 and 7-Zip are not added to the right-click context menu, even though they should.
- Trying to register for "My Dell" downloads center thingey, I get an error message stating "if this happens again, please contact customer support" (it DOES happen again).
- Sometimes, randomly, the PiratesAhoy! forum becomes really slow or doesn't work anymore at all, while Thomas the Terror confirmed that it WAS still working for him.
- Sometimes, randomly, web pages refuse to open in an Internet Explorer tab, but if I copy the link, then try in ANOTHER tab, it tends to work. Usually, but not always.

Can anyone confirm any similar issues? Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
Or is it again me being cursed with finding bugs and weirdness in whatever computer programs I use?
Because I DO seem to be cursed that way; I've always been finding all sorts of weirdness in all sorts of computer programs.
Especially professional sailing/engine room simulators. :shock

Sorry to hear your having problems Pieter, I was going to ask how things were going. Once again, I think your Adobe problems are the result of Microsoft's "security features" in Windows 7, why they chose to treat any program installed into Program Files as protected operating system files is completely beyond me!

Try this mate, uninstall Photoshop, or delete it by hand if you have to, then try running the install app as administrator by right-clicking the installer icon and selecting "run as administrator". You may have to set Photoshop to run as administrator as well. CS2 should run on Windows 7, once you convince windows that it actually should be allowed to run! It's not just you mate, this is all Microsoft BS! I would also try that trick with the other programs you are having trouble with, those should work as well. If this doesn't work, let me know and I will have you try something else.

No idea what to do with your Dell app mate, I am not that familiar with Dell computers, I'll look around and see if I can come up with something for you.

I'm not sure about your IE problems Pieter, it could be a lot of things. Are you running a firewall mate? IE has always had problems with PA, and a lot of other sites as well, that was one reason I first made the switch to Firefox. I know you like IE and I am not trying to convince you to switch, just explaining that was part of the reason I did. About the only thing I can suggest is have a look around www.Sevenforums.com, chances are if someone has a solution for you, you will find it on their forums.

I managed to solve a little bit of the issues by disabling User Account Control.
Still no WinZip and 7-Zip context menu though. :(

I remember UAC from Windows Vista. I was sooo happy to find out how to turn that evil piece of coding off.
It's close to being a virus in and of itself, asking me "are you sure" even every time I wanted to run a sailing simulator! :whipa

I remember UAC from Windows Vista. I was sooo happy to find out how to turn that evil piece of coding off.
It's close to being a virus in and of itself, asking me "are you sure" even every time I wanted to run a sailing simulator! :whipa
um

DON'T INSTALL TO PROGRAMS

then your sailing simulator would work as anticipated

and UAC would go off and play with itself.

Oh; I re-enabled it already. But at least disabling it allowed me to use Photoshop properly.

Jeez; this whole 64bit thing just REALLY doesn't compute with me.
Anyway, got the other installer and now I got the menu. Stupid, stupid, stupid! :whipa

It is really quite confusing sometimes mate, Microsoft sure doesn't help much either. Just think of all the fun we are gonna have when 128 bit processors start to become standard ... :wp

Back