• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Shared XP: Share All XP with entire Shore Party

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Unless I am very much mistaken, both approaches would mean all your characters end up gaining the same XP.
I'm not convinced I understood you right on that, so I suggest you make your own section of code that does what you would want it to.
What I'd like:
Skill applicable to job: 100% / 200% depending on contribute level, as at present.
Skill not applicable to job, officer is not in shore party, no "Shared XP" perk: none, as at present
Skill not applicable to job, officer is not in shore party, "Shared XP" perk available: 50%, as at present
Skill not applicable to job, officer is in shore party, no "Shared" XP: 10% because he's with you and doing whatever you're doing

Basically, if the officer is in your party and hasn't earned a share of your XP gain already for any other reason then he gets the 10% for being there on the scene. Only shore party characters should get this - if the navigator is still on board your ship when you earn XP for sneaking, he gets 0 because he wasn't there and didn't learn anything about sneaking.

If that is truly what you want, we can add it to the game with a toggle on it that defaults to off.
We could even have it always on within your own storyline. Does that sound workable to you?
The toggle would be good so that players can choose for themselves whether they want it or not. I don't want it forced on in the "Ardent" storyline - regardless of storyline, it should be the player's choice.

What's different about Ardent is that other storylines and side quests were written under the old system where shore party got a share of your XP regardless of what the skill was, or what their shipboard job was, so their quest reward XP assumes that shore party will get some of it automatically. "Ardent" is written with the new system in mind, so if shore party are to get anything then a portion of the reward has to go to skill "". But if "leveling.c" is written to give the shore party back their share of XP then that won't be necessary and "Ardent" can go back to handing out XP the same way as other storylines.

What I'd like:
Skill applicable to job: 100% / 200% depending on contribute level, as at present.
Skill not applicable to job, officer is not in shore party, no "Shared XP" perk: none, as at present
Skill not applicable to job, officer is not in shore party, "Shared XP" perk available: 50%, as at present
Skill not applicable to job, officer is in shore party, no "Shared" XP: 10% because he's with you and doing whatever you're doing

Basically, if the officer is in your party and hasn't earned a share of your XP gain already for any other reason then he gets the 10% for being there on the scene. Only shore party characters should get this - if the navigator is still on board your ship when you earn XP for sneaking, he gets 0 because he wasn't there and didn't learn anything about sneaking.
I think you've seen plenty of examples to know how to tweak it exactly how you want it.
Once you got it where you want, let me know and we can include it with the toggle. :doff

The toggle would be good so that players can choose for themselves whether they want it or not. I don't want it forced on in the "Ardent" storyline - regardless of storyline, it should be the player's choice.
It was only a thought. :cheeky

What's different about Ardent is that other storylines and side quests were written under the old system where shore party got a share of your XP regardless of what the skill was, or what their shipboard job was, so their quest reward XP assumes that shore party will get some of it automatically. "Ardent" is written with the new system in mind, so if shore party are to get anything then a portion of the reward has to go to skill "". But if "leveling.c" is written to give the shore party back their share of XP then that won't be necessary and "Ardent" can go back to handing out XP the same way as other storylines.
Excepting Woodes Rogers and The Gold-Bug, I imagine most of the XP you get should not need to be given through the storyline itself.
It can give some as a reward/bonus/help here and there, of course. But a lot of the XP would be gained through general play.

What you can already do with the current rewrite already is to assign XP on specific skills to those specific officers you want to get it.
So you could give Two Dogs some "Commerce" manually if you happen to have a story reason to do that.
Regardless of his officer type, if you give it to him directly, he'll get it.

I still fail to understand why this is any concern though.
From what I understand, what you propose would make all characters in the shore party get skills in everything.
But why you would even want that, I do not know. They can't use all those skills at the same time anyway.

In any case, I'm tired of arguing. So that is why I proposed an alternate solution:
You make it how you want it and I'll add it with a toggle.

@Grey Roger: I made this into a Feature Request as otherwise this will for certain be forgotten about again.

Do you still want this done? I am not going to make it happen, but it should be easy enough for you to do.
If you want it and make it, I'll add it to the mod with a toggle on it.

If you don't mind the current Beta 4.0 version of this, I can also archive this as "Abandoned".
The choice is yours. :doff

For the moment I've yet to try the existing system long enough to see if it is really still broken, and if so, how badly. Then I'll see if I can fix it without breaking it even more. Anyway, if I'm the only one who finds it a problem then I'll fix it in my own install, whereas if anyone else finds it a problem then we'll presumably hear from them...

For the moment I've yet to try the existing system long enough to see if it is really still broken, and if so, how badly.
For starters, I'd definitely be interested in player feedback, including yours! :cheers

Back