• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Ship combat destroys crew/leaves rest of ship untouched? Want to confirm it's not bugged. (GOF 2.0)

Alatar

Landlubber
As noted in the title, I have GOF 2.0 installed. I'm playing on the Captain difficulty setting which I believe is the 5th of 10.

I've noticed that whenever I get into a ship battle, cannons just destroy crew. The rest of the ship usually remains intact until long after the crew has been reduced to a single man. This is true of round shot, explosive shot, and even chain shot. I've found the best tactic (at least early on, I've only played 10-ish hours and have only taken about 15 ships) is to keep grape shot loaded, take whatever hits are necessary to close into range, unload a broadside, and board the enemy.

I'm wondering if this is intended as part of the realism modifications or if I have some setting set wrong or if it's just bugged. It seems like it must be extremely difficult to maintain even a half-decent skill level on your crew when you lose half of it in every single fight. Even if I get into a fight where they end up running away at the end because they have a faster ship, they still destroy my crew level before my chain shot can even touch their sails to slow them down.

I'm mainly asking since all the other games with Age of Sail era naval combat I've played (Pirates!, PotBS, Empire/Napoleon: Total War, etc.), my main tactic was to use a fast ship to dodge out of range of the broadsides while using chain shot to slow them down. Once sufficiently slowed, I'd close in staying out of broadside arcs firing grape shot until I felt safe to board and/or they surrendered. I honestly don't know anything about historical Age of Sail combat and whether the way it is in GOF2.07 is more accurate and thus intended or if I'm doing something wrong.

Am I just too low level and have too low a Defense skill to keep my crew alive? Will a higher Defense skill stop my crew from being destroyed when I get a high level ship and am fighting a similarly high level ship with tons of big cannons? Is it just that the difficulty setting being that high results in very high crew damage while the hull and sails don't take that much?

NB: It's perfectly okay if this is intended. I don't really have a problem with it. It's just different from what I'm used to and I want to confirm that I'm not just bugged or something.

you play higher than i ever dared... "bosun" here.

No approach:
culverlines shoot farther. bigger ones even more. Make sure you outgun your opponent.
Farther than chain shot goes ball shot. ball shot is aimed low, at enemy hull. To damage sails, aise the aim of your salvo above the red zone, into the sails area. Every Salvo.
have the fast reload perk at the ready when getting close and pouring shrapnell into his stomach... this is where it counts to not let him get off salvoes.
Have good gunner? gunnery-skilled sailors aboard?

Loss of crew:
have a doctor officer aboard? med supplies (at least the number of men)? have a maxed out crew with men to spare(red zone)? have "ship skill= basic ship defense, advanced defense, extreme defense", have "musket shot" upon boarding?
as you said, and probably saw in the skills description... defense skill increases the survival of your men during cannon fights.
check your captains stats, get the right officers and "ship skills" before doing more of that stuff.
...and find yourself a decent ship crew who are good at boarding.

and your overall Level must still be 20-25 at this point, with not enough experience to do... what you want to do?
Keep gaining experience in less dangerous elements(trade runs, independent trade, jungle duels, missions...), and use the ship skills you gain to enable a better defense.
Then, with all the elements combined to your advantage, come back in a more dominant position to haul some propper arrrrrrs :p

That's actually a great difficulty setting. I think one of the most balanced/challenging without being too difficult. I played on Captain forever, but I consistently play on Corsair difficulty now for more of a challenge.

I know what you are saying and no it isn't a bug. Once you collect all the defense books and get your skills up and have a great Doctor - AND - once you level up to above 20, you will not get your crews wiped out so badly.

Also you get Basic, Advanced and Elite ship defense perks. Chose those before others if you want to minimize crew damage. Once you have the Elite perk the damage is far less to both your ship and crew. You will notice the difference.

MK

This also happens with me,a single broadside enemy crew drops to 1(their captain probably),but when i board there are people on their ship.(2 bugs then)

must be a GOF 2.0 "BETA" thing, because 1.2 or 1.3 reintroduced the "surrender" option.
GOF 2.0 BETA is based on GOF 1.1 though... mwaahahhahaha:razz

I regularly almost wipe out crews in GOF 1.3... less than 10% of the original count... and they surrender.
No fight, no loss, experience gain, and a few slaves as an added bonus...:aar

one thing ive noticed is after a boarding action, if i still have another ship to go to, ill throw everything overboard on the recently captured ship and transfer the gold/silver to that ship to make room in my hold for the next ships gold/silver. here's the problem, after i have thrown overboard all the ships powder/ammo, they still continue to fire @ the next ship in line after ive set my capt and told him to sail away he just sits there, i didnt order him to lower sails, i ordered him to sail off to a distant area of the map so he wouldnt get sunk. smh idk.

there is still a round of powder/bullet in the cannon?
you seem to be one greedy Pirate!

i usually ask myself:
can you trust this ship to hold up the trip for the next friendly port?(check stats)
do you have a half-decent cap' to sail her, along with twice the minimum crew to spare?
CAN i, with the battle ahead of me, spare these men?

and if the answers to any of these questions are NO, then the new ship will not be kept, period.
many a time have i captured ship upon ship.. setting out in a full fluyt:ship ,
alone, to end up with having 4 extra ships (brigs, schooners, maybe a small frigate ...):sail:sail:sail:sail ,
all in mediocre condition, poorly manned.

and then show up the Bounty hunters with a Victory and dutch twodeckers.
Time for that Cyanide...:walkplank

and i play "DID" Dead is dead... There is no such thing as reloading a savegame (except for CTD)

Back