• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship descriptions - suggestion for *GoF* ?

HundertzehnGustav

Watchman... up there, thinking.
Hi yall.

Running CoAS and CMV 3,2 here, and the extra 96 Captains mod.

I have one suggestion concerning the descriptions of the ships: in the warf they are pretty generic, except the historical shops inserted by the Community. For the chase frigate, it says
"This version has been optimized tfor speed and is ideal for chasing down smaller faster ships such as those used by smuglers"
,,,wich does not telll me a lot, and i once lost a Career on one, because i did not understand her purpose and her limits properly.

Me, as a Naval History and armchair pirate Newb, was hoping for something more pecise, indications of her strong and weak points, and how to use them.

"The chase frigate is a Frigate with two cannon decks, shallow draft and big sail area"

Structure:
She is lightly built, with the necessary sturdiness to sail the seas, but no more than that - she is not built to fight battles with Bigger or even equal ships. Her Hold is meant for the Cannon Balls, not for Cargo.
Sailing properties:
The Chase Frigate has big square Sails that are good for sailing with the wind coming from your back, and is very fast in that position, able to outrun most smugglers.
However, she does not turn as well as smaller ships, and sailing into the wind is a Pain in the Arse.
Guns:
the Chase frigate can be armed with [28] pound guns, but Its recommended to use smaller guns of [12-20lbs], else she will become slow and even more sluggish, not able to perform her duties and easy prey for big enemies.
Crew:
The Chase Frtigate has a Crew of [396] wich is very big. The extra Crew Members have the purpose of manning the smugglers, wich were often taken as prizes and sold later on.

Nice idea and it can be done however there are two enteries which would require more of a open mind approach because the ships stats are randomly generated, so one Chase Frigate could mount only 16Ibs cannons while the next could mount 24Ibs cannons. Also crew sizes can't be put down to a actual amount of crew since that can be different with each model generated. So giving info for a crew size of up to 450 would mean its not a specified crew size and allows for differences even if its over 70 crew less than the 450 set above people will be more open minded to that entery.With over 120 ships thats a lot of ships to do and right now we are testing for bugs before we start editing files again and thats a if we even do continue to work on GOF once the bugs are fixed, we might release the mod because of it been stable. We will see i guess but for now we are just testing and fixing any bugs first.

If your idea above is not implemented into GOF V1.0 then it will be in a patch or the next mod. :onya

i know about the numbers, that is why i put them in Brackets. I have at the moment two "mordaunt" ships, which are, looking at the stats, quite different from each other, even tho they are sister ships. they have had each one different upgrades in Bermuda, and are complementing each other well in trade and battle. (one agile and hard hitting with half Cannon complement, the other sturdy with cargo upgrades and a lot of lesser canons for selfdefense)

I do not think that the numbers must be in the ship description, it is not the most important thing. I guess the basic numbers of a ship are fixed by the creator, and have a "+" or "-" tolerance applied to them randomly in the game.

What i find matters, is that the Player is given some very basic info on the ship itself ,if it is not a representation of a Historical ship. The info can be generic, but since sail/structure/hold/sailing properties are defined somewhere by the creator, and that not each ship can fare well at every task, i find it primordial that the player is given some info on the "do´s" and "donts" of a given ship type, so a Captain can make a wiser decision on which ship to spend his dubloons...

The creator of the ship, when building a generic ship, can, when things are programmed, define what the role of said ship should be.
Or, alternatively, he can point out what the role of a historical ship was, and what its pro and contra facts were.

English is not my native tongue, and what i know about sailing ships in general is limited, and was acquired in German Books. But i can, and am willing to help out in the writing of these descriptions.

cheers!

Ok bud if you are willing to spend time getting the discriptions up to speed then go for it, that will most likely garantee it makes it to GOF then and shouldn't require testing as long as the discriptions fits the ship type. Take the fearless, she's a Frigate and she is the largest Frigate in game so she would be i guess suited to more of a Lineship kind of role with the benifits of been fast and agile which is something the Lineships are not. Also i do not see anything wrong with your English. :onya

Ok bud if you are willing to spend time getting the discriptions up to speed then go for it, that will most likely garantee it makes it to GOF then and shouldn't require testing as long as the discriptions fits the ship type. Take the fearless, she's a Frigate and she is the largest Frigate in game so she would be i guess suited to more of a Lineship kind of role with the benifits of been fast and agile which is something the Lineships are not. Also i do not see anything wrong with your English. :onya

Lets go for it then :)

CoAS woke up a long forgotten interest... anything with square sails, a bunch of guns and a richly decorated Cabin.

Well good luck, a suggestion. Fix the ship discriptions for the main ships you feel are wrong, so in effect you are working backwards. That way the big fixes are done, just in case GOF is released before you get to finish them all. :onya

Back