• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Won't Fix Ship feature bug

SaltySeas7

Powder Monkey
I bought a british Sloop o War ship from a british port and when I walk to the back of the ship I can barely peek through the walls, it seems like the "stopline" have been misplaced, I can peek through the "texture".

I do not understand what you mean. You have a screenshot of that?

When playing with my nephew we found these offpist sailors.

Attachments

• Sao Feng's ship.jpg
    Sao Feng's ship.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 165
I do not understand what you mean. You have a screenshot of that?

It's basically a Direct3D glitch where you're seeing texture in a deeper z-level than you are supposed to do because the camera is too close to the texture in front. If you're familiar with Direct3D programming you have seen this a hundred times already. The artificial "stopline" is too deep, so you're basically "walking through the wall". It's called z-order fighting. You have to draw back the artificial line a tad so the player can't walk to far back in the ship, or else he can peek through the walls of the ship. It's not serious but it's just one of those "bugs" I would be glad to see gone. Keep in mind this bug may not appear on some screen resolutions, if you only test the game in one specific resolution, you just might miss out on bugs and glitches.

Last edited:
When playing with my nephew we found these offpist sailors.
Happens sometimes on all sorts of ships. Not sure why.
Possibly an error in the ship walk file?

It's basically a Direct3D glitch where you're seeing texture in a deeper z-level than you are supposed to do because the camera is too close to the texture in front. If you're familiar with Direct3D programming you have seen this a hundred times already. The artificial "stopline" is too deep, so you're basically "walking through the wall". It's called z-order fighting. You have to draw back the artificial line a tad so the player can't walk to far back in the ship, or else he can peek through the walls of the ship. It's not serious but it's just one of those "bugs" I would be glad to see gone. Keep in mind this bug may not appear on some screen resolutions, if you only test the game in one specific resolution, you just might miss out on bugs and glitches.
Not something I am familiar with. If you get a chance, a screenshot would still be welcome. :doff

Sorry I don't have access to the game as of right now, but I can show you a picture of the milky way (Not a real picture), it has up to 400 billion stars in it, it's a medium sized galaxy. I'm sure you already know this, it's probably over 14 billion years old. Sorry, that's all I can show you right now, I don't have access to more :doff

If you stare long enough into that, you can see all of human history long before you arrive at the galaxy if viewed from a distance that would make it look as small as that, or perhaps maybe at the exact same time human history began.

rfRl71O.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a british Sloop o War ship from a british port and when I walk to the back of the ship I can barely peek through the walls, it seems like the "stopline" have been misplaced, I can peek through the "texture".
Sounds like the ship's path mesh lets the player walk slightly too close to the sides. That's something a modeller would need to fix.

Last edited:
Ah, that is not such a huge issue then.

We'd need to know which exact ship, of course.

@SaltySeas7: Please let us know the exact ship type where you have this issue, possibly including screenshot/savegame.

It is not likely it will be fixed soon (minor issue that requires a LOT of effort to fix), but at least then we'd know for if we find the opportunity one day.

I just report bugs and wait until another guy jumps in to provide the resources to solve them I do 50% of the work and make people aware of them hopefully someone will jump in later with a second report. I do not have much time for being a full bug reporter with all the resources needed. If people are unfamiliar with the bugs then maybe it's not a bug, I like to wait and see if there are more players.

It's not a question of opportunity, you have the opportunity and you've chosen that role consciously, if you regret that choice you can step back if you want to. This is your job, this is what you've given yourself to and this is what you want to do. I might add to that, I am not the guy who have that job, but in friendly manners I can make people aware of something, it may or may not be worth knowing. But this is most definitely not my job and duty, this is your job and your choice. Did that make sense? (But also, in that choice you get a lot of credit and people get to experience a new 'touch' of the same good game, it's also worth adding)

Be a bit more aware of your choices :napoleon

I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO!

Last edited:
Did that make sense?
No, it did not.
What you describe must be ship-specific, so I asked you to tell us the exact ship type where you noticed the issue.
If we don't know that, nothing can possibly be done about this.

If you don't give us the information I requested, this issue will be archived without anything being done.
If you do, then I'll mark it as "Low Priority" and it may end up fixed one day. Your choice. :shrug

Also, fixing bugs is in no way, shape or form "my responsibility" and I do not appreciate you claiming that.
It is 100% voluntary and the only reason I do it is because I want to help the players.
In truth, it is the responsibility of EVERYONE here.

If you mark it as low priority, thats your choice, it's not mine. And it will affect all players, but I will see if I remember to catch some resources when I play the game next time, I may or may not provide it. (It's also important that we don't get into a fight over this, it's never a wise thing to do)

I get it, I could influence your choice indirectly? I have the choice to partially alter your choice? I am currently playing with the highwaymen behind the bushes and as soon as I get off that place I may find the ship again and report it back to you. I don't have the ship right now.

I will report the resources for you on Thursday, July 28th, that is when I am able to play the game the next time.

Last edited:
It's very simple: We don't know what ship to fix = we can't do anything = this gets archived.
It is rather pointless to try to fix a bug if we don't have the specifics to actually know what the bug is. :shrug

Without knowing the exact ship ID, this report refers to a needle in a haystack, making it quite useless.
Even if we did know the ship, the only way to correct it would be with re-exporting through Maya.
That's a lot of effort for not much gain, so this is being archived.

Back