• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Level and me

stethnorun

Landlubber
So maybe I'm dumb, but how do I know what level of ship I can use without penalty? Is it Leadership? And if so, how is that calculated?

Also, in the description for Exchange Experience, it says something about sharing items. What is that about? I understand the boost to the percentages but if my crew is going to start stealing my stuff, forget it.

And lastly, for Peter Blood, once the initial story is over and you are free to do as you will, are Jeremy Pitt and Ogle needed for more story? Or are they just like every other kind of officer now?

Right click your navigation skill. It will give you a list of the navigation skill required for each class of vessel.

Not sure about your second question.

Jeremy and Ogle are just normal officers, but they will never mutiny and will never leave you.

Cap'n Drow

<!--quoteo(post=332447:date=Jun 24 2009, 03:16 PM:name=Cap'n_Drow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cap'n_Drow @ Jun 24 2009, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right click your navigation skill. It will give you a list of the navigation skill required for each class of vessel.

Jeremy and Ogle are just normal officers, but they will never mutiny and will never leave you.

Cap'n Drow<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok and as long as my navigator has the higher skill, I'm fine right?

<!--quoteo(post=332453:date=Jun 24 2009, 11:31 AM:name=stethnorun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stethnorun @ Jun 24 2009, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=332447:date=Jun 24 2009, 03:16 PM:name=Cap'n_Drow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cap'n_Drow @ Jun 24 2009, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right click your navigation skill. It will give you a list of the navigation skill required for each class of vessel.

Cap'n Drow<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok and as long as my navigator has the higher skill, I'm fine right?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Higher navigation then required for the ship class - you're fine.
Crew doesn't steal , i had the skill.
It's ambiguous what the skill does (regarding the sharing of items) but I think your boarding crew and officers will use items [as those] in your chest, so they will be better equiped , without you losing anything(you'll find your items in your chest always ).The reason I believe that is becaus as soon as I stored some cool wpns in the chest ( like musketons) I began seeing members of the boarding crew(soldier sailors) using similar wpns a lot (during boarding) .

Yeah, not really sure what that bit about items means either. I'm guessing it's another wonky translation there. But you get musketeers in boarding parties with the musket volley perk, not by storing a musketton in the chest.

<!--quoteo(post=332496:date=Jun 24 2009, 04:54 PM:name=Sordid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sordid @ Jun 24 2009, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, not really sure what that bit about items means either. I'm guessing it's another wonky translation there. But you get musketeers in boarding parties with the musket volley perk, not by storing a musketton in the chest.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again to avoid creating another thread, I'll just ask here: I read near-unanimous reviews of this game saying that difficulty was THROUGH THE ROOF and that even on the easiest settings, the game was impossible. But I've been sailing around and just letting pirates (big and small) attack me, they board, I butcher their crew, the captain is a joke, and then I'm getting ships like Corevettes and War Galleons without even trying. I currently have half a million gold and I haven't even really started any quests yet.

Is the difficulty exaggerated? I'm on sailor currently...should I not even bother continuing and instead move up to captain or even further? The ship combat seems adequate difficulty wise, but the sword combat seems way too easy. Or does it get hard as you go along (though with infinite money, I can't see how that would be the case). I remember in Seadogs and PotC, successfully nabbing your first captured ship was a big deal. In this game, it's like flys to wax.

Well you are playing on a very low difficulty. From my experience playing on the middle setting I'd say the game gets easier rather than harder as you go along, but also less well balanced. Most of the time I have a jolly old time tearing apart whole fleets and butchering people left and right and then along comes an impossible fight and I spend half a day in savescumming agony.
See this thread here if you have doubts whether or not higher difficultly levels are challenging, the amount of frothing that went on in there should give you an idea: <a href="http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?showtopic=13731" target="_blank">http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?showtopic=13731</a>

<!--quoteo(post=332505:date=Jun 24 2009, 05:28 PM:name=Sordid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sordid @ Jun 24 2009, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well you are playing on a very low difficulty. From my experience playing on the middle setting I'd say the game gets easier rather than harder as you go along, but also less well balanced. Most of the time I have a jolly old time tearing apart whole fleets and butchering people left and right and then along comes an impossible fight and I spend half a day in savescumming agony.
See this thread here if you have doubts whether or not higher difficultly levels are challenging, the amount of frothing that went on in there should give you an idea: <a href="http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?showtopic=13731" target="_blank">http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?showtopic=13731</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok well then I guess I'll just stick with what I'm doing. At least the ship combat is challenging enough. Maybe I should just sink more ships than I capture.

Another question: Is the musketoon purely for selling purposes? I can't equip it and I don't see a personal skill related to it.

<!--quoteo(post=332579:date=Jun 24 2009, 08:46 PM:name=Axet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axet @ Jun 24 2009, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah the musketoon is just for selling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For one officer.You'll get other musketon, don't worry.

Back