• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ship Upgrades

What should the Upgrades be like?

• Super Expensive upgrades with awsome results

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Middle Expenses upgrade with middle results

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Cheap upgrade but with cheap results

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

FireBat

Landlubber
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I had a built a mod to make the items used to upgrade the vessels more realistic...I also adjust the values so that it would be more expensive to get the upgrades done. But then i ran into a dilema...
Should the upgrades be really really expensive (ie for a manowar cargo space it costs 1 million pieces of eight) but the upgrade gives you like 2500 extra cargo space

Or should the upgrades be more middle of the road so it costs 650k but the upgrade only gives you say 1500 cargo

or

go with a cheap upgrade, but with cheap results. (But they will still be more expensive than the vanilla)

Im leaning towards the super expensive but super effective upgrades...That way, when you do purchase the best vessel, you can drop a few million into upgrading your vessel, and have a really great vessel that will strike fear into your enemies...YAR!

How about have a cheap option a middle option and an expensive option :shrug
I had thought of that, but I am no where near that level of coding yet...If someone would be willing to teach me how to add the necessary lines and what not, I would be more than willing to add the options of the more expensive upgrades. In the meantime, i will upgrade the one option we have when i am satisfied that enough people have weighed in with thier thoughts.

If limited to just one choice, go with the expensive and very effective choice.

Though like Maggee, I think you should have each option available. Just my feelings about it.

Cap'n Drow

I prefer available upgrade at all shipyards! The problem I have is the amount of goods you need to come along with. For a class 2 or 1 ship you need to run 4 - 6x for bermuda and you have no option to repair your ship when it's still not enough mahagony or what ever and I always get attacked underway. That really anoys me!

I prefer available upgrade at all shipyards! The problem I have is the amount of goods you need to come along with. For a class 2 or 1 ship you need to run 4 - 6x for bermuda and you have no option to repair your ship when it's still not enough mahagony or what ever and I always get attacked underway. That really anoys me!
yes, but unfortunatly, thats kinda the point. If it would be as easy as going to any shipyard with just 1 full load of goods to upgrade, and then get a vessel that totally owns...it would be way too easy.

The way around thaat, and its what i do. Is take note of what goods are required, do not accept the upgrade till you have been and purchased all required goods. Then you can do that upgrade without a problem. The other way is to write down all upgrades you intend to do, and amount of each good they need, then purchase as much as you can trying to get enough goods for at least 2 upgrades covered. :onya

Yes i feel the upgrades should cost alot too. ;)

yes, but unfortunatly, thats kinda the point. If it would be as easy as going to any shipyard with just 1 full load of goods to upgrade, and then get a vessel that totally owns...it would be way too easy.

I wouldn't say that you get a kickass ship...only if you have bought a ship with top values for its kind...if you buy a corvette with max 22 pounders or a corvette with max 26 pounders...if you have a 22 pounder you only can upgrade to 24 pds...the same you can see with every other value, too.
don't forget you can only upgrade one time...and upgrading cannons will lower your hold for goods...

but these upgrades have to cost a bit (or a bit more)...like it does...I think it's not bad how it works now.

The way around thaat, and its what i do. Is take note of what goods are required, do not accept the upgrade till you have been and purchased all required goods. Then you can do that upgrade without a problem. The other way is to write down all upgrades you intend to do, and amount of each good they need, then purchase as much as you can trying to get enough goods for at least 2 upgrades covered. :onya

Yes i feel the upgrades should cost alot too. ;)
I tend to do my upgrades in little chunks. So if in need mahogany, I'll go to an exporter, load up 1 vessel with mahogany I plan to sell, and Keep another vessel just for the upgrade. Usually its not enough, but thats okay, because i dont want all my upgrade goods to go in the sea if I get attacked.

I wouldn't say that you get a kickass ship...only if you have bought a ship with top values for its kind...if you buy a corvette with max 22 pounders or a corvette with max 26 pounders...if you have a 22 pounder you only can upgrade to 24 pds...the same you can see with every other value, too.
don't forget you can only upgrade one time...and upgrading cannons will lower your hold for goods...

but these upgrades have to cost a bit (or a bit more)...like it does...I think it's not bad how it works now.

I havent changed much when it comes to cannon refits. The reason is because it would be way to easy to throw the balance off. No sense in having a sloop with 48 pound cannons, if you could only have 1..lol
I have been a bit more liberal in my experiments when it comes to speed and maneuverability. However, I have not allowed the speed of any ship to go higher than 20 knots (as far as I have seen)
I may decide to bring that number lower, as I have recently found out that the fastest known ship of the 17th century was a Pinnace and only did 14knots. Of course, we also have ships in COAS cmv3 from the 18th century, and as of yet, I have been unable to find much speed data on vessels of that period.
I have also kept the maneuverability within reason, even with the 'Gold" upgrade. I may have shaved 10 secs off a 360 turn at 9.5 knot winds.
None of these values are set in stone, as I am just experiementing and learning as i go.

I only bring the example of the cannons because it's the easiest way to show how different ships appear in the game.
you have the same with the speed and so on...
that the ships are so fast have nothing to do with upgrading...thats the values the ships get from ships_init.
as example the xebec have a speed rate of 15.2. now these values will get in game a bit better or a bit worser. (think it can go up to 17 and a bit)

and...normally you never get a very fast, very maneuverally ship with great cannons, much crew, a thick hull and a great capacity...
...you will have only one or two good values and some average and some worse values...
...I know you can make a "load trip" before buying a ship to get the ship you want with the values you want...but thats cheating...and we shouldn't mod for cheaters...if someone want to destroy the game it's up to him...but I don't think that a mod should try to prevent one from the consequeses he get because of cheating. (one consequenz is that you [at least me :rolleyes: ] will only have fun for a short time)

yea, cheating bites. If playes want to cheat...hit f11...
Thats why i am making sure that if you get these upgrades, that they are super expensive, but at the same time, the upgrades are not so rediculous that it gives the player a huge advantage.
Its hard work to get all the funds and materials together for an upgrade.

yea, cheating bites. If playes want to cheat...hit f11...

absolutly d'accord

Thats why i am making sure that if you get these upgrades, that they are super expensive, but at the same time, the upgrades are not so rediculous that it gives the player a huge advantage.
Its hard work to get all the funds and materials together for an upgrade.

mhhh...then I misunderstood your poll...but i need the option wich says: "it's cool how it is"
as Takeda-One said sometimes you have to traval 4 to 6 times to get all the goods you need...and if you are a real pirate you have to hurry or you can't repair your ship (there isn't a storage room for the goods; only the store)...and as REAL pirate you never buy goods you take them from traders :dance ...and this means as more goods you need as longer it will take to loot all the ships. if you have to loot dozens of ships the game will get stupid...and mostly I store the goods for upgrading in the shop but if it take to long the stored goods are sold...thats a question of balance...
...too much goods will cost fun...a too high price with a too little result will make these upgrades senseless...with this in mind I would say it's good as it is...

...but I can although be wrong, so teach me ;)

well, i have had some luck with a level 4 vessel. My total cost of upgrades (which included upgraded cargo hold, upgraded cannons and upgraded speed) total, plus the cost of materials cost me about 1.2mil I didnt have to do any runnning for materials, as they were all available for purchase at the store at bermuda.

I got 4 extra knots, an extra 1000 cargo space on top of the 3000 I already had, and of course the one extra level cannons.

I think its a fair value for the money, and still not an outlandish upgrade.

More testing is still required....

IT IS FINISHED
[sub]sort of[/sub]

Okay, I am releasing the beta version of this upgrade mod. Let me know what you think, and where you feel adjustments could be made.

READ ME​

Ship Upgrade Mod
By: FireBat
05/03/2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks goes out to Luke159 for pointing me in the right direction to get this mod started. Thanks also goes out to all the members of PiratesAhoy who gave thier input to create this mod.
My Goal with this mod was to, first, adjust the materials required for each upgrade at the Bermuda Shipyard. Some of the upgrades required really rediculous items, that would have no bearing on the constuction of the upgrade. As well, the amounts of materials needed were either much too high, and in most cases much too low.

Second, to keep the upgrades within the realm of reality. This means that no vessel will be going rediculously fast, a huge vessel will not be as nibble as a Cutter, and no, your Sloop will not have as much storage space as a Manowar. ;)

Third, it was to provide the player (thats you matey!) with something to spend thier pirate booty on, that at the same time, would give them a substantial advantage over the competition. These upgrades are expensive. Some of them, depending on your ship's class may cost up to 2million gold. But let me assure you, it well worth the effort and expense.

Requirements:

You must have Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships installed. You also must have cmv3 and Trade Overhaul Mod v1.2
How to Install:

Cheap and Cheaper: Install the mod in this folder to change the good types used in upgrades at the bermuda shipyard, but to keep the old upgrade prices and results.

Rich and Rockin: Install the mod in this folder to change the good types used in upgrades at the bermuda shipyard, and to increase the cost, and results of the upgrade.

Vanilla: If you dont like any of the changes you can install this mod, and all the old good types used to upgrade your vessel at the bermuda shipyard will be back.

Issues:

This mod will not work without Trade Overhaul Mod v1.2 being installed.
Notes:
If you discover any bugs in this mod, please do not hesitate to get ahold of me at the contact information above. Please provide me with a screen shot along with your error report.
If you have suggestions on how to improve this mod, please let me know.

Thank you for downloading this mod, and happy pirating!

Attachments

• Ship Upgrade Mod beta.zip
    40.5 KB · Views: 308
This is all based on CM V3 code? Correct?

Cap'n Drow

:dance :keith It is finished :keith :dance

With the beta testing finished, and no bugs being found. I am officially releasing this mod. A couple of price and results of upgrades changes have been made. I have also changed the name of the mod for the purpose of clairity. You can download Bermuda Shipyard Upgrade Mod v1.0 here

Please note that in order for this mod to work, you also must have Trade Overhaul Mod v1.5 installed.

Enjoy!

:dance :keith It is finished :keith :dance

With the beta testing finished, and no bugs being found. I am officially releasing this mod. A couple of price and results of upgrades changes have been made. I have also changed the name of the mod for the purpose of clairity. You can download Bermuda Shipyard Upgrade Mod v1.0 here

Please note that in order for this mod to work, you also must have Trade Overhaul Mod v1.5 installed.

Enjoy!

Do you still have this file around FB? Filegator is giving an error about it. Or is this already included in 3.1.5?

Thanks!

Cap'n Drow

Back