• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Engine Limitation Ships Still Boardable After Abordage

Mere_Mortal

Free Like a Radical
Storm Modder
After boarding a ship, one of two things should happen; it is captured or sunk. Suffice to say, it should not be possible to immediately board the ship again after leaving the ransack screen. However, for a very brief moment the board option is still available and if the player is quick enough they can trigger it. If the enemy captain survives he can be recruited again, but sometimes the ransack screen appears immediately after the first deck is finished. It doesn’t matter if the ship is captured or sunk, it can still be boarded again afterwards. This can be repeated over and over again. I think the same applies to sinking a player ship, it can still be interacted with for a very brief moment.

Well that was funky. I just sunk a ship, boarded it again... and then swapped over to it. Upon returning to the sea, the ship was sinking. Then I managed to catch the boarding option for another ship which just so happened to come by, even though my own ship was completely submerged by this point (it might be understandable to be able to board another ship while sinking, but only if the player’s own ship is still mostly above the waterline). Now I could have swapped over to that ship, my current one was sinking anyway and most certainly would have after swapping, but I wanted to see what would happen - I saved it, got to the world map and my hull was repaired slightly with some planks, but after reloading the ship was no longer sinking, even though it had nil health, and so I don’t know if I would have eventually died.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 201
I'm going to recommend not making use of this. Sounds like a scary thing to do that could cause all sorts of weirdness. :shock

Actually, since the status of cargo, as well as everything else, remains constant (for example, if crew die in the fight then they stay dead)... I can loot people, remove the sail cloths if there are any, and then repeat the boarding. It’s probably really good for debugging stuff like the looting bug, but I certainly wouldn’t want to risk a ship-of-the-line messing around with it!

@Mere_Mortal: I think this is probably because the Battle Interface isn't quite quick enough with updating.
Since nobody ever reported it before you, I assume it is extremely difficult to trigger by accident.
So I'm tempted to just archive this without making any changes.

I wouldn’t say it’s that difficult, but nor would I be inclined to think it could be easily fixed either. It’s actually a borderline exploit, but then again it’s no different to going in and out of a jungle to find new enemies every time. I don’t think it’s that big a deal really.

Back