• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Ships to offer

Ah that makes sense! The information I needed was a couple pages down the FTP thread, even if the post he linked was inaccessible for me. In any event the files are uploaded now for anyone who wants them. :)

I've started converting Centurion so that it'll be easier whenever someone does get time to put it in the game. Could anyone who's converted a PotBS ship before please share their textures with me? I'd rather not reinvent textures from scratch and have this looking completely different from the other ships in the game.

Ok I got it all into maya with the PotBS textures. I gather from reading the tutorials that I need to convert the textures to *.tga.tx prior to game engine export? Can I load a ship in the game engine without setting up all the masts and rigging first? What's the next step after getting it all into maya?

Edit: Ok reading through a few more threads I found a link to a ship exporting tutorial. :)

http://forum.piratesahoy.net//index.php?showtopic=12178&st=0#entry274871

I've started converting Centurion so that it'll be easier whenever someone does get time to put it in the game. Could anyone who's converted a PotBS ship before please share their textures with me? I'd rather not reinvent textures from scratch and have this looking completely different from the other ships in the game.

I believe Jack Harrison and Armada converted the Poseidon for the game you may want to look at their textures they may help.

Ok I've posted in the Raa thread asking about textures. In the meanwhile I've been reading the ship exporting tutorial and I'm a bit overwhelmed. It had never occurred to me to make a path to walk on, etc. The model alone took me four years to make and I was hoping for some instant gratification hehe. What's the fastest way to just plop this thing down in some water and taking some screenshots without worrying about making it playable? If I can do that I think I can slowly add more to it over time.

You don't need to worry about making a path straight away. You can just use a similar ship's path as a place-holder until a better one is made.
As long as you have all the necessary components, the ship will work in-game, even if they don't fit correctly. ;)

You can do the same with locators if you wish, by copying those of a similar ship to a text file and making your converted ship use them (using Inez Dias' TOOL).
Then, you can modify the ones that count, like masts and sails, and leave the rest for another time.

If you need any help getting your head around any of this, let me know. :doff

Welcome aboard, KrisWood. With us you no longer need to wait 4 years to see your stuff ingame, we all be motivating and cheering friends here - not a corporation :onya

...And once ingame, I´ll bet you agree that the Storm Engine present your work way better than the toybox PotBS engine ;)

I'm afraid I won't be able to put time into this any time soon. :( My job takes up most of my time, I've just started buying a house so there's a LOT of work to be done at home, and my girlfriend and I are expecting twins in just 6 to 8 weeks. o_O I'm just not going to have any free time in the forseeable future.

I can help with specific tasks that are outside of Maya, perhaps adjusting parts of a model in 3dsmax and exporting them to Maya for whoever's doing the conversion, but I cannot put time into learning Maya and the tools and doing the conversion itself. Can anyone take over my ships?

Once I finally learn how to convert the Neptunus into the game engine I will probably have a try of your ships Kris :) Unless someone who already knows how to carry out conversions takes the task it may take a little time for me to do it.

Also since I use 3ds Max 9 I can't open your ships and .FBX import crashes so if you get the chance could you put a copy in a format I can import into Max 9 on the FTP so I can take a look.

Regards,

I'm afraid I won't be able to put time into this any time soon. :( My job takes up most of my time, I've just started buying a house so there's a LOT of work to be done at home, and my girlfriend and I are expecting twins in just 6 to 8 weeks. o_O I'm just not going to have any free time in the forseeable future.

I can help with specific tasks that are outside of Maya, perhaps adjusting parts of a model in 3dsmax and exporting them to Maya for whoever's doing the conversion, but I cannot put time into learning Maya and the tools and doing the conversion itself. Can anyone take over my ships?

I use 3dsmax 2009, and Max isn't terribly good with backward compatability. The FBX files open in the version of Maya used for importing though. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to re-export it in a different format. :-(

Back