• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Showstopping bugs in B14

Spitfire

Landlubber
Hi,

I just installed POTC with build 14 patch 3, and I've encountered a couple of bugs that pretty much render the game unplayable for me.

First of all, I have a dual-boot system with both Win 7 64bit and XP 32bit running on it. I have installed the game + Build 14 + patch 3 on top of both operating systems, and have serious problems in both of them. Curiously, neither of the OS's experience the same bugs!

First, I installed the game on Win 7. It looks great and everything seems to work ok and smoothly, until I go indoors. In indoor cells, the player's turn rate slows down horribly. I would need to move the mouse franticly for a good meter or so across the table to turn 90 degrees. Outdoors the same turn takes a 5 cm mouse travel.

Needless to say, this slowdown makes indoor melee almost impossible.

It doesn't happen in every indoor location, but especially bars and shipyards are the worst. In every outdoor location, however, the game runs fine and player turn rate seems quite consistent.

Ok, I thought this was an issue with Win 7 64bit, so I booted up to XP and installed the game there, to a different folder. So far looks like there is no such slowdown with player turning in XP. However, in the XP installation I'm unable to load any saved games! The question "Are you sure you want to load this game" pops up, and clicking either yes or no does absolutely nothing.

I have started several new games, saved them OK but loading does not work. It is definitely not a virus scanner / firewall problem, as I have none in the XP installation. Even if I did, I'd usually disable it before running any games.

I would be perfectly happy to get it running in either one of the OS's in a playable manner, but I'm not sure which OS's problems I'd better to focus on.
In Win 7, I haven't tried updating display drivers to see if the slowdown problem goes away, but I might try that next. The XP case is a more mysterious one and I have no idea how to proceed there.

Anyone have any good ideas what to try next? :modding

Hi,

I had the same indoor slowdown problem as your getting with XP.....re-installation solved it for me.

Do'nt know what's up with the saves issue...sorry.reinstall might solve it.
BTW...did you run the runme bat files?

damski.

Yes, I ran runme.bat and rename.bat in both.

They are both fresh POTC installs with Build 14 beta 1 patch 3 on top of the stock game, with no possibility of any leftovers from previous mods etc. In any case, I did a complete uninstall/game directory purge/reinstall in Win 7, and it didn't help for the slowdown, as expected.

Neither did the latest ATI Catalyst drivers.

Since I've got my new laptop (Windows 7 64bit), I occasionally also notice somewhat slower response in indoor locations.
However, it's by far not as excessive as I've seen in various reports.
I haven't got a clue where it's coming from, because it seems to differ from person to person (or computer to computer). :modding

For the loading of savegames, you could try emptying your "SAVE" folder and remove your "options" file and hope that resets something.
You are clicking on the "Yes" button, right? I recall Hook once added some code so it would only respond to clicking and not using the spacebar.
However, this was only for the "Delete" button to prevent accidental deleting of savegames. :wacko:

I have only had that slowdown once in maybe a dozen installs. That you get it twice in a row is scary. Try starting a new game. Every game is different for me. If it still runs slow, then it may be a bad download. I have gotten those. Hope this helps.

I have only experienced the slowdown in the tavern bedrooms - still have it and can always remember having it - not an issue as I have never had a fight in the bedrooms.
But a similar issue. :shrug

Following Pieter's advice by emptying the save game folder and starting a new game, it seemed I got the XP save game issue fixed - for a while.

Now after playing the game for some time and a few saves and reloads later, the issue reappeared.
I found a workaround, though, which is creating and saving another game under a different profile. The savegame seems to load OK after loading another save under a different profile, and then switching back to the original profile.

This is an intermittent bug, though, and sometimes the games load OK. Weird.

However, now on XP I have encountered some performance issues. There are few outdoor locations, for example Speightstown port, where I get a very choppy FPS (10-15), while other areas are extremely smooth . I do not seen such issues in the identical Win 7 installation. It's not bad enough to be unplayable, but it revealed another issue:

Player side stepping speed seems to be directly proportional to the framerate. In the jungle where there is generally very good performance, side stepping is a lot faster than running! While in ports with lower FPS, side stepping is painfully slow to the extent that it's almost useless. Anyone else noticed this? Looks like I have the same behavior in both XP and Win 7.

For your performance issues, did you install ENB or SwiftShader on either of those installs?
If so, try it without and see if that helps anything.

The game is known to sometimes, seemingly randomly, lose it's loaded profile.
This might be the case for your load problem. We've tried to fix it, but nothing fully worked.
So what we did is add a button in the Save/Load interface so you can always select a profile if none was active anymore.
It's not a perfect solution, but it seems to be the best we can do. :facepalm

ENB was included the first time I installed the game, as I was confident my nearly brand new hand-built number cruncher can manage it. Well, it couldn't, so I reinstalled without it.

The disappearing profile and poor performance I can live with, but now I'm suffering from occasional CTD's, which of course I should report here... However, being the lazy bum I am, I gave up and reverted to Build 13. I'm a returning PoTC long-timer from the times of Build 8 (or something), so I've been missing out a couple of years of Build development. So, I'm happy with Build 13 features, and so far it has been running flawlessly.

I'll attempt Build 14 again once it's got a bit more stable. I wish I had the energy to help you guys troubleshoot it, but I'm busy as it is with a full-time job and bughunting a game project of my own... So I just want to relax and play the damn game ;)

Keep up the good work, though!

Fair enough, mate. I'm sorry to hear your issues with the Build 14 files.
Although it's not finished and there's a bunch of bugs left with it, mostly it's been playing pretty stable.
Except for some people and I really haven't the foggiest why. Some issues just seem totally random. :modding

Back