• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Sidequest Characters Override Storyline Ones

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
As per thread title. To be fixed to prevent incompatibility issues in Beta 3.5 .

It's still happening after the latest update (5th May). Playing the "Bartolomeu o Portugues" storyline, I had rescued my crew from Havana, only to find Emilio Soares had already escaped by himself and got as far as Santiago. At Santiago port I talked to Juan Hernandez, who didn't recognise me but did recognise my companion, Peter Blood, as Emilio's captain. Except that my companion is William Klein, while Peter Blood was last seen in the tavern at Cayman.

This is because there's also the side quest available to all other storylines in which it is Peter Blood whose crew needs to be rescued and you help him do it. So when you get to Santiago, Juan Hernandez recognises Peter Blood. (This side quest is disabled in "Bartolomeu o Portugues" so you don't end up rescuing the same crew twice, and the problem of side quest dialog overriding main story dialog does not seem to affect this - if you talk to Peter Blood, he just says that he can't help you and you can't help him.)

Indeed I didn't yet look into this; perhaps I can figure it out tonight as this would definitely be a good thing to have sorted.

This only affects the character init entries from what I gather. Dialogs are definitely storyline-dependent like they should be. :yes

Last edited:
That was a stupidly simple fix. All that was required is to move this line:
Code:
n = CreateGameCharacters(n, "SideQuest"); ReloadProgressUpdate();
All the way up in PROGRAM\Characters\character_init.c so that sidequest characters will ALWAYS be overwritten by any other ones.
As it was, the storyline character was initialized FIRST and then overwritten by the sidequest version. Oops. :facepalm

Anyway, this should be "Fixed" and is bound to prevent a lot of other compatibility issues throughout the storylines.

Back