• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Skills and Abilities - which ones do you favour

hangar18

Landlubber
I'm starting a new game with the post 12 build + update and was wondering what skills and abilities people focus on first (and why unless its obvious). I realise a part of this will have to do with what kind of pirate you want to be but it would be interesting to hear how everyone "develops" their character, particularly in the first level ups or so.

well in the first few levels i focus on fighting and defence, then i improve sailing, but i usually get officers for sailing... then wen they start to die, damn pirates! i do sailing abilities my self. ive started a new game... the may 30th mod is fun!

Skills go into leadership and luck. Abilities go into fencing. With high leadership I can hire officers with the other necessary skills and abilities.

I usually try to get fencing abilities and skills first, so I won't die very quickly. Also very important to get early in the game: Basic Ship Defense ability to be able to perform a firedrill when you get set on fire. Depending on whether I want to sink ships or board them, I try to get accuracy skills or boarding skills. Once you are reasonably good at sinking or boarding vessels, you can make lots of money and get lots of level ups pretty fast. Also hire officers to give them the skills you don't want to focus on. Important skills for the player character (captain) are luck, fighting and leadership (naturally). Try to get a navigator for the sailing-related skills and a cannoneer for more cannons skills. Then at least a third officer for the rest of the skills.

Back