• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily: Andre Juliao Does Not Appear

Have you already done anything else in Martinique? In particular, did you help port master Turpin Cabanel to deal with smugglers?

You may have talked to Andre Juliao during an earlier visit, in which case the conversation is liable to end with a fight, and if you're still alive then he isn't. If you haven't already killed Andre Juliao and haven't helped Turpin Cabanel break up the smuggling ring then he should be sitting at one of the tables.

i did not help turpin, but i've done most martinique quests, like patric and the idols, saga of blacque. the only people in the tavern are the tavernkeep, tavern wench, the smuggler, snorri baldurson, and an officer that i could hire. no andre juliao.

honestly i dont know what a log file is.

mod pack, is it the build 14 4.1 WIP?

saved game....

Attachments

• -=Gian=- Martinique.rar
    752.4 KB · Views: 88
honestly i dont know what a log file is.
They're the files named .log found in your main game folder. They contain details of all sorts of stuff going on during the game.
So if you play through and encounter an error, you should post those logs together with the report as they might indicate what went wrong.

mod pack, is it the build 14 4.1 WIP?
Just to be sure, what date is shown in your main menu?
You can also post your compile.log as that would contain the same information.

There is no one named Andre Juliao in martinique tavern.
Yep, you're absolutely right.

To solve this:
1. Execute this through console:
Code:
ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Andre Juliao"), "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern", "candles", "sit3");
See here point #4 for how: Tutorial - Modding Tips & Tricks | PiratesAhoy!
2. Exit the tavern
3. Enter again
4. Now he's there

The reason for this error is because of a fix made to avoid NPCs sitting on the wrong "sit" locators.
To do that, a whole bunch of those locators were changed to "candles". Such as this one:
upload_2016-6-7_19-59-19.png

Most of the affected spots in the code have been updated to match, but you found one that we missed.
So thanks for catching it! Easily fixed. :doff

The proper fix is in PROGRAM\Characters\init\FalaiseDeFleur.c to replace this:
Code:
// Andre Juliao - SMUGGLING FOR THOMAS O'REILY
   ch.old.name = "Andre";
   ch.old.lastname = "Juliao";
   ch.name = TranslateString("","Andre");
   ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Juliao");
   ch.id     = "Andre Juliao";
   ch.model = "man2";
   ch.sex = "man";
   ch.sound_type = "pirate";
   ch.location   = "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern";
   ch.location.group = "sit";
With this:
Code:
// Andre Juliao - SMUGGLING FOR THOMAS O'REILY
   ch.old.name = "Andre";
   ch.old.lastname = "Juliao";
   ch.name = TranslateString("","Andre");
   ch.lastname = TranslateString("","Juliao");
   ch.id     = "Andre Juliao";
   ch.model = "man2";
   ch.sex = "man";
   ch.sound_type = "pirate";
   ch.location   = "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern";
   ch.location.group = "candles"; // PW: was "sit"
But that only works on a New Game.

Strange that this has not been reported before, since the problem can't be all that new. Personally I've never done this side quest, partly because I usually go to Martinique early in the game and get 5000 from Turpin Cabanel for busting the smuggling ring at a time when 5000 is a significant amount, and partly because the "improved" smuggling requires that you do some freelance smuggling and become known to the smugglers' guild first. I wonder if that's putting other people off this quest as well?

But it does tie in with another character who hasn't been appearing in St. Pierre tavern for some time. @Pieter Boelen's fix for Andre Juliao gave me all the clue I needed to put Thierry Bosquet back in place as well:
Thierry Bosquet does not appear

Strange that this has not been reported before, since the problem can't be all that new.
Indeed @pedrwyth changed those files months ago, so not new indeed.
Well, it's not the first time that quite obvious errors get reported way later than we might hope. :facepalm

partly because the "improved" smuggling requires that you do some freelance smuggling and become known to the smugglers' guild first. I wonder if that's putting other people off this quest as well?
That "smuggler liking" requirement could be easily removed if desired. Or the requirement reduced.
Or swap it around: Quest is ALWAYS available, but you GET "smuggler liking" from it instead of that being required.

As far as I'm aware, the "improved" smuggling should actually be functional now at long last and I am not aware of any real problems with it still remaining.
If there still are any issues that you know of, please enlighten me. :doff

It's only a problem in that the only smuggling I did was at the beginning of a "Stormy Start" when you're supplied with contraband, or if I'd acquired some contraband as a result of piracy / privateering, and handing it to the nearest smuggler was less inconvenient than keeping it until I went to a port where it wasn't contraband. The new system is probably more interesting for people who like smuggling, but less convenient for just disposing of unwanted contraband, so now I ignore the smuggler and always wait until I can sell the cargo legally. And I never got round to doing "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" even before the new system because I generally prefer to get 5000 early in the game, rather than whatever Thomas O'Reily offers for the smuggling job after you've also done his cargo run, which in any case requires you to be friendly to France, which usually I'm not. :rpirate

The new system is probably more interesting for people who like smuggling, but less convenient for just disposing of unwanted contraband, so now I ignore the smuggler and always wait until I can sell the cargo legally.
Why is the new system less convenient? If you use it the same way you used to, it should function effectively the same way as it always did.
The "chance of being caught" is now technically no longer random. But if your timing is random because you don't bother with finding a good time, then your own timing makes it random anyway.

The only substantial difference that should exist is that now you can deliberately avoid the soldiers if you put in a bit of extra effort. But that is only optional; it isn't required.

Back