• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily blocked by Martinique Smuggling Quest

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I cannot seem to get this quest?

I've added the savegame, right before ending the quest before (Cargo for Thomas O'Reily).
I get my reward from him (lousy 2k gold^^) and then: nothing.
As a job I only get the default "Cargo Quest"...

Attachments

• -=Player=- Jamaica.7z
    699.3 KB · Views: 76
  • logs.zip
    13.6 KB · Views: 66
A change was made so that now the smugglers "must like you" before you can get that quest.
So if you do a bit of regular smuggling, you should be able to get it afterwards.

This change is still a bit up for debate though, so if you have any comments/suggestions, I'd certainly welcome it. :doff

oh, ok. Well I think that's actually a fair change. The only recommendation I would like to make: he should tell me that.
  • "Right now, I need to talk"
    • "Might you be in need of a captain"
      • start normal cargo quest
    • "Do you have any special work"
      1. Yes...
      2. Yes, but it seems you are no friend to the smugglers; maybe try doing some work for them?"
Of course, if there is a relation score to the smugglers, he should point it out to you, so that you have a way of knowing that you need to make 4 smuggling sells or 1 million gold transfer (don't know how the score might be calculated)

The only recommendation I would like to make: he should tell me that.
That does make sense.

Yes, but it seems you are no friend to the smugglers; maybe try doing some work for them?"
Though that would be a VERY suspicious thing to say. What if you were a loyal privateer? :rofl

Of course, if there is a relation score to the smugglers, he should point it out to you, so that you have a way of knowing that you need to make 4 smuggling sells or 1 million gold transfer (don't know how the score might be calculated)
Looking at the code now, the way it works is that you must have smuggled at least 1500 units of anything.

This is the relevant section from Thomas O'Reily_dialog:
Code:
         if (NPChar.quest.first_job == "done" && !LAI_IsDead(characterFromID("Andre Juliao")) && characters[GetCharacterIndex("Andre Juliao")].location == "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern" && GetSquadronFreeSpace(pchar, GOOD_EBONY)>=134 && npchar.quest.contraband == "0" && CheckSmugglingAmount(pchar) > 1500)
         {
           Link.l1 = DLG_TEXT[25];
           Link.l1.go = "contraband";
         }

Something should be done about this, either:
1. Allow this sidequest to work regardless of that Martinique Smuggling business
or
2. Make it clear to players what they might need to do to be able to play it so that it isn't an invisible quest
(What kind of dialog text would make sense? Still open for suggestions here...)

Not sure yet which of those two would be the best option though....

Perhaps the easiest fix is to get rid of the requirement to have done some freelance smuggling. Then you don't need suspicious dialog to tell you to do some freelance smuggling. ;) While you're at it, get rid of the requirement to be at peace with France before doing "Cargo for Thomas O'Reily".

As for the conflict between "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" and helping Turpin Cabanel bust the smuggling ring, I still say that isn't a bug. You can't smuggle to Thomas O'Reily's contacts on Martinique if they've been caught. xD At most I'd have a semi-suspicious line for Thomas O'Reily to the effect that he had a nice deal lined up for you but his mates on Martinique haven't been in contact for a while and he thinks someone reported them to the authorities. It won't help you this time but maybe you'll rethink your long term game plan next time...

Perhaps the easiest fix is to get rid of the requirement to have done some freelance smuggling. Then you don't need suspicious dialog to tell you to do some freelance smuggling. ;) While you're at it, get rid of the requirement to be at peace with France before doing "Cargo for Thomas O'Reily".
That is easily done. :yes

As for the conflict between "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" and helping Turpin Cabanel bust the smuggling ring, I still say that isn't a bug. You can't smuggle to Thomas O'Reily's contacts on Martinique if they've been caught. xD At most I'd have a semi-suspicious line for Thomas O'Reily to the effect that he had a nice deal lined up for you but his mates on Martinique haven't been in contact for a while and he thinks someone reported them to the authorities. It won't help you this time but maybe you'll rethink your long term game plan next time...
Sounds doable. Just split that massive if-statement and add some explanations if the quest isn't available (yet).

As per the next update, this will be a lot clearer:
Code:
     case "contraband":
       if (LAI_IsDead(characterFromID("Andre Juliao")))
       {
         dialog.text = "There was indeed another job that needed doing, but word has reached me that my contact person in #sFalaise de Fleur#... passed away under mysterious circumstances.";
         link.l1 = "Hey, don't look at me like that! I'm sure I had nothing to do with it. Or did I? I don't think I did...";
         link.l1.go = "No quest";
       }
       else
       {
         if (characters[GetCharacterIndex("Andre Juliao")].location != "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern")
         {
           dialog.text = "Unfortunately I have not heard from my contact person in #sFalaise de Fleur# for quite some time.";
           link.l1 = "Maybe he got himself into trouble with that gang of smugglers that got caught there a while back. Better to steer clear of that!";
           link.l1.go = "No quest";
         }
         else
         {
           if(CheckSmugglerLiking(pchar) < 25)
           {
             dialog.text = "There is indeed something that needs doing. But I'm not certain my contact person would be quite willing to trust you just yet. You may have to get yourself a bit more well liked by a... certain group of people.";
             link.l1 = "'Certain group of people', eh? That sounds a bit shady... I'm not sure I like the sound of this.";
             link.l1.go = "No quest";
           }
           else
           {
             if (GetSquadronFreeSpace(pchar, GOOD_EBONY)<134)
             {
               dialog.text = "There is a cargo that I need to be transported, but it appears that you do not have enough space available to carry it.";
               link.l1 = "That can be rectified. I'll come back when I have some more room.";
               link.l1.go = "No quest";
             }
             else
             {
               dialog.text = DLG_TEXT[43] + GetMyAddressForm(NPChar, PChar, ADDR_CIVIL, false, false) + DLG_TEXT[44];
               link.l1 = pcharrepphrase(DLG_TEXT[45], DLG_TEXT[46]);
               link.l1.go = "contraband_1";
             }
           }
         }
       }
     break;
I did leave a "smuggling liking" check in place to at least attempt to maintain the spirit of @Levis' intentions.
However, most player types already start with 50, so this should not bother them. I think this will ONLY affect Naval Officers.

Back