• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Some after-game thoughts/comments

Naal and pirate crews are indeed tough. The Oiseau was a quest ship with a low level captain and similarly weak crew.

So I am to understand that there's a disparity of crew toughness depending on the level of the enemy captain? Is there a "set" level for random enemy ships (e.g. "Level 10" for Tier 7-6 ships, "Level 20" for Tier 5-4 ships, "Level 40" for elite ships like lineships) or is it pretty much random?

I have a feeling that it's the enemy captain's level that's the deciding factor of a boarding, because this determines their HP. Ultimately no matter what your morale/weapons are you will get slaughtered if their men are double your HP.

See post #22 for advice on how to get rid of locked perks. (I never liked the whole idea and always play with locked perks disabled.)

Maybe I should consider that. I was just thinking what it would do with the balancing of the game. Maybe have "Arcade" mode be as close as possible to the original game? Idk lol.

There was once an attempt to make cannons take up cargo capacity. The gunboat has enough capacity so that, if this mod had been implemented, it could carry the biggest possible cannon.

Not related, but feel compelled to share this, I tried the Castaway mode to play the part of a street thug/highwayman with a dingy, but boy did this role die out quickly - all i had to do was to ask for a merchant from the tavern, enter their cabin, and kill the captain, and i would get a sum much higher than he promised me. I was out of the lowlife robbery business in no time. I could keep doing this, i feel, and end up really rich.

Not related, but feel compelled to share this, I tried the Castaway mode to play the part of a street thug/highwayman with a dingy, but boy did this role die out quickly - all i had to do was to ask for a merchant from the tavern, enter their cabin, and kill the captain, and i would get a sum much higher than he promised me. I was out of the lowlife robbery business in no time. I could keep doing this, i feel, and end up really rich.
I don't think you could keep it up for too long. Your reputation would drop rapidly and tavernkeepers would refuse to give you work.

When I play as a Castaway in Nathaniel Hawk story, I skip a tutorial using a second option (you get washed off from your ship and you will be on a random island).
When I do that, I have to make sure that I can "sell" my ship and throw all my belongings away (usually works when I kill brigands, I put everything inside)

This way I'm starting from scratch.

I just want to rob traders crossing the jungle. :p Petty crime and the like...

Robbing sounds like a quick way to get money, but it's rigged.
Either you can pick up any pocket you can explode, get poisoned or get killed by the guards in the jungle.
You can get killed by killing a merchants in jungle and have -40 reputation.

I don't want to be a pirate - it's too high stakes. I just want to rob traders crossing the jungle. :p Petty crime and the like...
As @Jacob says, robbing traders is even higher stakes. They have hidden protection. Robbing random citizens is easier, you only lose a few points of reputation and they don't have a secret army.

When I play as a Castaway in Nathaniel Hawk story, I skip a tutorial using a second option (you get washed off from your ship and you will be on a random island).
When I do that, I have to make sure that I can "sell" my ship and throw all my belongings away (usually works when I kill brigands, I put everything inside)
When playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I recommend playing the story. ;) If you just want to do your own thing, try FreePlay instead. As a FreePlay castaway, your "ship" is a tiny dinghy and your belongings are a few stones. I did indeed throw them away, at high velocity in the general direction of a random citizen whom I then robbed.

As @Jacob says, robbing traders is even higher stakes. They have hidden protection. Robbing random citizens is easier, you only lose a few points of reputation and they don't have a secret army.

Yeah whenever I killed a merchant, a bunch of guards arrive to kill me and if I take them out, everything is locked so I have to reload the game. That being said, I never got much loot from traders as far as I recall. So i just stick to fighting the "armed villagers" (?).

What I do is I hire three boatswains to make up a full gang. This makes survival easier. The problem with this type of play as I see it, is that's it - you fight random people, get a few thousand gold, then there is nothing more to do. So I guess the path of a highwayman is quite mundane.

What I do is I hire three boatswains to make up a full gang. This makes survival easier. The problem with this type of play as I see it, is that's it - you fight random people, get a few thousand gold, then there is nothing more to do. So I guess the path of a highwayman is quite mundane.

I disagree to that, have you ever thought about infiltrating into garrison?
After killing soldiers you can talk with nobles and learn who they are. You can get over 15k gold, you can get supplies, bombs, random weapons, Letter of marque or even rob the town of it's gold or simply give it to a nation you like.

When I get bored over fighting I explore the islands.

But I do like your idea of playing as a Highwayman.

I disagree to that, have you ever thought about infiltrating into garrison?
After killing soldiers you can talk with nobles and learn who they are. You can get over 15k gold, you can get supplies, bombs, random weapons, Letter of marque or even rob the town of it's gold or simply give it to a nation you like.

When I get bored over fighting I explore the islands.

But I do like your idea of playing as a Highwayman.

Do you mean going to the Fort location in the town and then fighting the soldiers there? I haven't tried that...

Back