• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some first impressions

openyourmind

Landlubber
Let me start off with that I loved original PotC when I played it back in the day.
However, playing it today you see a lot of bugs.
This is why I wanted to try this mod and so far it's amazing.
I only have one complaint, I read different versions thread and didn't see this mentioned so forgive me if this is common knowledge.

Russian version had received an exclusive 1.03 patch (i believe last one was 1.01 for international) that received a lot of things. Amongst which were:
  • slaves as goods (cheapest in pirate island, contraband everywhere, unlocked in regular stores with trustworthy perk, double price on non pirate island, otherwise obtainable through boarding)
  • significantly harder combat on foot (enemies block a lot more, every fight is a real risk)
  • Ship AI was revamped quote from patch notes "more accurately analyse situation" which results in better ammunition switching.
Edit: it also changed Daniella's model to a green eyed redhead
From what little I played in the mod, I see some things were implemented already but not others (AI doesn't block at all).
Are therer any plans to implement these? If necessary I could provide my game files albeit they are from Russian version if that would help.

Perhaps this will help if someone could integrate the patch changes, some people uploaded patch 1.03 with opened up scripts, I will share the link
KOPCAP2.RAR

Last edited:
Slaves as goods: absolutely not, especially in today's political climate!

Harder combat: we already have some players complaining that boarding is too difficult. Also, the frequency of highwaymen in jungles mean that making combat significantly harder will make it much harder to walk across an island, which is necessary in some storylines.

The green-eyed redhead is available in PoTC:NH as "50__Aine". Danielle Greene in the "standard" storyline, alias "Tales of a Sea Hawk", still uses her original model, but you may meet "50_Aine" as a random officer for hire in taverns. Or you can buy the outfit from a Dutch tailor; look for him selling an outfit called "Beauty with eyes as green as emeralds and hair as red as blood." (Or you could edit "PROGRAM\Storyline\standard\characters\init\Officers.c", find the entry for Danielle - it's right at the top - and change the 'ch.model' line to "50_Aine".)

In land combat, AI certainly does block. It is relatively easy to defeat, wait until the enemy attacks you and then hit back before he goes back to blocking. If you just hit wildly without regard to timing, he will block you most of the time and may hit you while you are recovering to block.

slaves as goods (cheapest in pirate island, contraband everywhere, unlocked in regular stores with trustworthy perk, double price on non pirate island, otherwise obtainable through boarding)
I didn't know the official patch added that. Thought that was part of the SLiB mod.

Technically, I think we DO have the interface pictures for slaves in the mod; just not any of the code for it.
We wouldn't really want to encourage players to become slavers, but they do feature in certain storylines where you get to free them.

Ship AI was revamped quote from patch notes "more accurately analyse situation" which results in better ammunition switching.
I wonder what that does.
We did do a LOT of revamping of the Ship AI in New Horizons too; but I don't remember 'enemies switching ammo types' being part of that.

The green-eyed redhead is available in PoTC:NH as "50__Aine".
That skin isn't from the official Russian patch though. It is a custom one by @Petros .

I thought Danielle was already a redhead in the original game?

Slaves as goods: absolutely not, especially in today's political climate!
I disagree as we get games today featuring slaves in one way or another and nobody seems to scream. I mean look at Rimworld featuring selling people to slavery and organ harvesting from said slaves, only thing that it got bashed for is "sexuality" on one of the gaming journalism websites. Or more recently released, Battle Brothers with a DLC featuring slavers and culture with one of focuses on slaves . Yes, these aren't triple A games but then neither is this mod. If anything the "Brothel" feature in the game will generate publicity. I also assume it is accurate for the time period. However slaves do take up a lot of space (7 per good), cost a lot compared to other goods (if I recall around 40-70 price range to buy on pirate island) but when sold to smugglers for 165 it is worth the risk.

Harder combat: we already have some players complaining that boarding is too difficult. Also, the frequency of highwaymen in jungles mean that making combat significantly harder will make it much harder to walk across an island, which is necessary in some storylines.

Perhaps I should have mentioned this: according to patch notes, fencing AI was made harder but only when an added option "arcade fencing" is off. Granted you can easily avoid highwaymen by either taking money with you or re entering the zone until route is clear but unless I am playing arcade mode, I shouldn't clear Oxbay dungeon with 1 fencing skill and a default saber. Not to mention the mod does a great thing by allowing the player to change the chances of perma death, meaning experience can be akin to Mount & Blade games where you can't really die. But if you are playing on fully realistic settings, imho (and according to patches for stock game) fencing should be hard.

In land combat, AI certainly does block. It is relatively easy to defeat, wait until the enemy attacks you and then hit back before he goes back to blocking. If you just hit wildly without regard to timing, he will block you most of the time and may hit you while you are recovering to block

I have fenced with Malcom on stock 1.03 non arcade settings and current mod version all difficulty modifiers on highest. The difference is huge. Unless of course mod realises the blocking somewhat differently according to player's rank, but to me - a player - the difference is significant. Perhaps I could record a video to demonstrate but I imagine knowledgable people will see the difference in the code already provided in the first post.

Either way I hope the community at least will consider integrating the fixes provided by the patch since it's the actual "original vision" of the devs. Missing out features that existed in 2003 version is rather dissapointing.

Beckett: We had a deal, Jack. I contracted you to deliver Cargo on my behalf; you chose to liberate it.
Sparrow: People aren't 'Cargo', mate.

:aar:pflag:razz:razz:razz:pflag:aar IMHO, this scene should've been included as it tells people a lot more about Capt. Jack Sparrow and how he is as a person.

That skin isn't from the official Russian patch though. It is a custom one by @Petros .

Danielle is blonde and always has been:
danielle.jpg
Perhaps you're confusing her with Beatrice from AoP; or with Beatrise or Taegan, possibly from original Seadogs? (I don't have Seadogs, but I'm guessing from the quality of the face texture that those two are from the earlier game.)

It wouldn't do any harm to have the extra character models from the Russian mod, but I can't download it anyway. Firefox reports:
Secure Connection Failed
  • An error occurred during a connection to yadi.sk. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR
  • The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
I took a chance and tried using Chrome, and that didn't like it either.

Danielle is blonde and always has been:

Perhaps you're confusing her with Beatrice from AoP; or with Beatrise or Taegan, possibly from original Seadogs? (I don't have Seadogs, but I'm guessing from the quality of the face texture that those two are from the earlier game.)
Yep, Danielle has always been blonde.
She also is like this in TEHO. ;)

Ah; could be.

Or I had Triss from The Witcher 3 too vividly in mind. :rofl
Ah yes, it's about our dear darling Triss. :rofl
I guess that they play/played similar roles, depending on your choices.

It wouldn't do any harm to have the extra character models from the Russian mod, but I can't download it anyway. Firefox reports: I took a chance and tried using Chrome, and that didn't like it either.
Shame, it would have been nice. :(

Beckett: We had a deal, Jack. I contracted you to deliver Cargo on my behalf; you chose to liberate it.
Sparrow: People aren't 'Cargo', mate.

:aar:pflag:razz:razz:razz:pflag:aar IMHO, this scene should've been included as it tells people a lot more about Capt. Jack Sparrow and how he is as a person.
100% agreed! :cheers

It deepens the lore and gives more context about who Jack is.
Plus it is in line with Hoist the Colors. ;)

It is one of my favorite scenes in the series, and it is not even in it. :p
Much better than the on that did get in the movie.
And you have spared me any possibility of ending up as anything other than what I am. And for that, I truly thank you.

That scene appears to be from "At The World's End". At present the storyline barely touches on "Dead Man's Chest". So extending the story to contain the scene properly is unlikely to happen for a very long time. ;)

But if you're willing to forget that scene ever happened, or didn't happen, because it didn't actually happen, then the lines about delivering cargo and people not being cargo could perhaps be worked into the scene at the lighthouse in which Cutler Beckett sets the Wicked Wench on fire and arrests Jack.

Yep, it could work in the game. :yes
Though it isn't as important because the actual moment is in there. ;)

Still if the is further developed to include the later movies I would to include the cut scene.
But as you said this is unlikely, for now at least.

Back