• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Some questions relating to perks and init_officertypes.c

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Thanks so much for any advice! :) Tried figuring these out with searching myself but without much luck...

1)What does OfficerTypes.(type).rankbonus do:

A) to captains? Many have positive numbers, like CAPPRIVATEER has an 8

B) to crew types? Many have a negative number here, like pirates have a -3.

2) When hiring captured captain, do they use the pricemod setting of their captain role? IE, if you hire a navy captain, will he have whatever initial salary multiple is defined for his prior role as a navy captain?

3) Can NPC captains use brander/fireship? What I mean is, does the AI know how to use this during battle? Can they use club hauling instant turn perk?

@Levis Would you be able to offer guidance on these issues?

I have one more question to add to the 2 above:

New Question: I have been experimenting with some changes to a couple of officer types perk lists and nonctronbituing chance. However, most of the changes don't seem to work on current saved games (new contributing perks get added, but previous ones aren't removed, even for new officers, and the noncontributing perk chance doesn't seem to be changed for the current game).F11 reinitilization doesn't work to fix this.

Is there some console command I can give to reset an officer type and have it once again draw the perk list and non contributing chance from the init_officertypes.c? Ie something to reset OFFIC_TYPE_FIRSTMATE so they become the new ones from my edited file?

And here are the old questions from above that Pieter couldn't answer:

2) When hiring captured captain, do they use the pricemod setting of their captain role? IE, if you hire a navy captain, will he have whatever initial salary multiple is defined for his prior role as a navy captain?

Thanks for the advice. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for any advice! :) Tried figuring these out with searching myself but without much luck...

When an enemy or officer is created with this rank and a randomlevel this bonus will be applied. It's to make sure captains will always be better then their crew. And also to make sure if you have 2 captains of the same level but one being a pirate and the other being a navy character then the navy one will have a crew with a higher level.

Yes, even better you will hire him and his first role will be a captain. You could keep him this way and assign him to a ship again. Or keep him as shore party. He will contribute some more perks then normally but he won't contribute skills. You can set him to be any role you want offcourse.

3) Can NPC captains use brander/fireship? What I mean is, does the AI know how to use this during battle? Can they use club hauling instant turn perk?
I believe they should be able to but I'm not 100% sure.

New Question: I have been experimenting with some changes to a couple of officer types perk lists and nonctronbituing chance. However, most of the changes don't seem to work on current saved games (new contributing perks get added, but previous ones aren't removed, even for new officers, and the noncontributing perk chance doesn't seem to be changed for the current game).F11 reinitilization doesn't work to fix this.

Is there some console command I can give to reset an officer type and have it once again draw the perk list and non contributing chance from the init_officertypes.c? Ie something to reset OFFIC_TYPE_FIRSTMATE so they become the new ones from my edited file?
Initofficertypes should be called in the Reinit (F11) but indeed the old object doesn't seem to get removed ... I need to look into that. Could you please make a bugreport for it?

Yes, even better you will hire him and his first role will be a captain. You could keep him this way and assign him to a ship again. Or keep him as shore party. He will contribute some more perks then normally but he won't contribute skills. You can set him to be any role you want offcourse.
Does it do that now as well? I recall some stuff changed, but I don't know if that changed or not.
I'm still a bit iffy on that concept. You know what they say about "multiple captains on one ship". ;)

Does it do that now as well? I recall some stuff changed, but I don't know if that changed or not.
I'm still a bit iffy on that concept. You know what they say about "multiple captains on one ship". ;)
I believe it still does, and you can demote him whenever you want.

Levis, just one followup: so to make sure I understand, if a privsteer captain is generated at level 30 by the ship encounter code, since he has a 8 rank bonus:

He will actually be at level 38, not 30, so he gets the additional perks and everything for being level 38, even in the ship battle?

His troops will be generated based on his base level without the rank bonus, so they will be generated from level 30 stats?

Levis, just one followup: so to make sure I understand, if a privsteer captain is generated at level 30 by the ship encounter code, since he has a 8 rank bonus:

He will actually be at level 38, not 30, so he gets the additional perks and everything for being level 38, even in the ship battle?

His troops will be generated based on his base level without the rank bonus, so they will be generated from level 30 stats?
not really, but sort off

Back