• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Some rumours not usable at every time

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Started January 2, 1721, first day, in Grand Cayman town, townsperson gave me a dialogue about gentle summer winds.

Update: on a new campaign (this one actually playing, not just testing), got the same summer dialogue on start date of january 2nd from barbados citizens.

Then, on january 3rd, got dialogue about autumn months. Which isn't wuite right either (should be winter?), or perhaps the game only has 2 seasons, summer and autumn?

Maybe it takes time for a new game to update the season? Unsure of how any of this works, but that wouldn't be an issue if it were the case

And now on January 5th they think it is back to being summer (so it went Jan 2 summer, Jan 3rd autumn, January 5th summer again)

@Tingyun Do you have the exact text? I can't find anything about "winds" which also has the season mentioned in it in the dialog files

Hi Levis,

I was able to get a townperson to trigger both dialogues by trying again and again just now:

1) "Have you seen the summer weather yet? Nary a breeze. Wonderful stuff, but I'd imagine it would be frustrating for a captain such as yourself."

2) "Better be careful in those autumn months. The weather get's quite nasty here, so I'd suggest you get yourself a sturdy ship before venturing out into that pea soup."

The same townsperson, and reading it again, maybe they just are speaking generally, and aren't meaning that it is the current weather.

But these dialogues are triggered by the player asking "What's going on hearabout", "What's new in this corner of the world" etc, so it rather creates the impression they are talking about the current weather.

So I might have been mistaken it is a bug, reading them again carefully. But maybe some clarification could be added.

Found them.
They are rumours ... I understand they can be confusing.
I want to add some rumours about the officer system so I probably can remove or change these to make them fit better.

@Tingyun maybe you can fix this bug yourself :).
You can find the rumours in:
Rumour_Data.c (in PROGRAM).

There you can decide to just remove the rumour (comment it out please instead of deleting) or you can change the text. Mind these texts are translated so search for the text in the resources folder to find the right textfile which contains the translation of this rumour. Here you can just change the text to be something which can be applied always.

@Levis

How is this? I rewrote to be clear that they are general comments, and expanded a bit to make them a bit more flavorful:

"An old sailor told me he is considering retiring. The weather gets quite nasty in the colder months, storms and such. He said if he can't find a sturdier ship to sign on with before next autumn, he won't risk another stormy season at sea."
"I heard a captain in the tavern say that he prefers winter weather to summer, despite the storms. In the summer, there is nary a breeze. Wonderful stuff in my opinion, but I'd imagine it'd be frustrating for a captain with a schedule to keep."

Here's what I edited in the attached files. I'm not sure I understood the translation point perfectly, I edited the text in both of the files to be the new version. Please make sure it is ok.

In Rumour_strings.txt, here are the edited parts:

An old sailor told me he is considering retiring. The weather gets quite nasty in the colder months, storms and such. He said if he can't find a sturdier ship to sign on with before next autumn, he won't risk another stormy season at sea.{An old sailor told me he is considering retiring. The weather gets quite nasty in the colder months, storms and such. He said if he can't find a sturdier ship to sign on with before next autumn, he won't risk another stormy season at sea.}
I heard a captain in the tavern say that he prefers winter weather to summer, despite the storms. In the summer, there is nary a breeze. Wonderful stuff in my opinion, but I'd imagine it'd be frustrating for a captain with a schedule to keep.{I heard a captain in the tavern say that he prefers winter weather to summer, despite the storms. In the summer, there is nary a breeze. Wonderful stuff in my opinion, but I'd imagine it'd be frustrating for a captain with a schedule to keep.}

In rumour_data.c, here are the edited parts:

Rumour.text = LanguageConvertString(tmpLangFileID,"An old sailor told me he is considering retiring. The weather gets quite nasty in the colder months, storms and such. He said if he can't find a sturdier ship to sign on with before next autumn, he won't risk another stormy season at sea."); // Morgan Terror
Rumour.state = "active";
Rumour.loc = "all";
Rumour.chance = 50; //Lowered a bit -Levis
i++;

Rumour.text = LanguageConvertString(tmpLangFileID,"I heard a captain in the tavern say that he prefers winter weather to summer, despite the storms. In the summer, there is nary a breeze. Wonderful stuff in my opinion, but I'd imagine it'd be frustrating for a captain with a schedule to keep."); // Morgan Terror
Rumour.state = "active";
Rumour.loc = "all";
Rumour.chance = 50; //Lowered a bit -Levis
i++;

Attachments

• Rumour_Data.c
    18.5 KB · Views: 87
  • rumour_strings.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 87
it looks fine to me. Did you game accept the new files without errors? if so we can include it in the next update.

@Levis

Installed the files, talked to people until I triggered one of the rewritten rumours, everything was correct. No error log.

So it looks fine!

Those rumours were added back in the days when season-dependent weather was added to let people know about that.
But there is currently no system in place to limit rumours based on the current month.

Hi Pieter,

That makes sense. And I think the revised version we made should make it clearer to easily confused players (like myself) that the dialogues are speaking generally, not about the current time. :)

Back