• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Spanish Main French officer uniform appears in all periods

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
During one test run through my "Hornblower" extension, an officer who appears near the end had a uniform which looked as though it belonged to the Three Musketeers - certainly no officer of Revolutionary France would wear a uniform with a fleur-de-lys!

Here's why. From "initModels.c":
Code:
  model.description =  "This uniform suggests that it's wearer might be an officer of the King's Musketeers!  Surely a rapier is the appropriate blade to complete the effect!";
   model.id    =  "Offic_fra_16";
   model.FaceId   = 343;
   model.minrank    =  1;
   model.nation    =  FRANCE;
   model.price    =  4000;
   model.assigned   =  true;
//   model.period = "" + PERIOD_THE_SPANISH_MAIN; // PB: For Hylie Pistof
   AssignModelTypeNation(isstart, model, "Land_Officers", 1.0, FRANCE);
   AddCharacterModel(model);
With the 'model.period' line commented out, that model is valid for any period. Other than that, the only valid French land officer uniform for "Napoleonic" period is "Offic_fra_19", so my quest officer is now getting that rather than the random uniform assignment which I'd copied from Antoine Chamfort, the corrupt officer you meet during the "Angelique Moulin's Father" side quest.

That side quest, however, is going to have the same problem. About the only period you won't see Antoine Chamfort in "Offic_fra_16" is "Early Explorers" because in that period he's Spanish.

Is there a reason why the 'model.period' line for "Offic_fra_16" is commented out?

Note that if you really want to play in that uniform, all you'd need to do if the 'model.period' line were reactivated is to set the year to something in "Spanish Main" period, select the uniform, then put the year back to whatever period you want to play. You can do the same with nationality too - as an experiment I started a "Free-play" game in "Early Explorers" English land uniform, playing as a French officer in a later period.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why the 'model.period' line for "Offic_fra_16" is commented out?
I think you figured out the reason already. @Hylie Pistof often likes using that model, also outside periods where it is available, so I made that change specifically for him.
At the time you couldn't change the starting date from within the Select Storyline interface.
But now that you CAN, I think we can put that line back in.

This change now undone in my game too.

Thanks for catching, @Grey Roger! I did run into the same situation,
but didn't think anything of it because I thought it was because I was abusing the quest coding.... :facepalm

Back