• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

"Special" Officers?

Radrunner

Powder Monkey
.... The game was going fine until I discovered that not only could I do quests with Horatio Hornblower, I could recruit him! Now i'm left wondering how many other officers there are that are not "generic" so to speak. i.e. their names are largely characters from pirate movies (John Silver, Horatio Hornblower.... go figure, Peter Blood). So far I've found to: Horatio and Michael Chard(?). I'm wondering how many more there are, how many have "unique skins" (as John Silver has the same appearence as a generic officer) and where you can expect to find them.

To clarify, this is in the UN MODDED City of Abandoned Ships.

On a side note, it seems the recruitment of said characters is done at random - talked to Horatio, got a mission. Screwed up, reloaded, talked to him again and after asking he joined up.... save spam!

Regadring modding... I have been slowly reading up on the threads, and it sounds like the combined mod has alot of new officers to pull in. Is it possible to install only bits and pieces of the combined mods (i.e. I want the characters), could care less about new cannons, or pulling in Pirates of the Carribean story line.

Are you sure you don't have any mods because Horatio Hornblower is added via a mod. :shrug

You can take what you want out of the combined mods, but it will require some experience in modding and the know how because the mods wasn't made as seperate packs, while the mini mods topic is all independent mods. You will need winmerge to see the sections of code added or edited for each file and you will have to compare a vanilla file against the same file from the mod to see the changes made. With that program you can move the lines of code over that are different one by one or all of them together. Since CMV2 and CMV3 have almost every file with changes it will take a long time. Op will be the best person to ask because adding character's is his department so he'll be able to point you to which files to pay attention too and which to bin. :onya

Hornblower is not part of Vanilla, but it is possible the name is in the names files and it just so happened you found that combination of a name. I took an amusing screen shot once me talking to a citizen and he mentioned to me that a Captain Kirk, stole his wife.

To export characters, you'll need their textures, models, and the herodescribe text.

The character Horatio Hornblower IS in the stock game, I ran into him as well without any mods. I ran into a few others as well, but don't remember them right off. Can't say I much like the model they chose for him, I posted a screen shot a while back of him somewhere on here ...can't remember where though :shrug

Indeed, Horatio Hornblower, Edward Lowe, Peter Blood and at least 15 other named pirates/captains are available to recruit in the stock game.

Cap'n Drow

Back