• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Spyglass of shame?

Fluen

Freebooter
Playing the newest build with update. And I found the spyglass of shame in my chest. Either this is a joke I don't understand or an emergency addition to help those completely without a spyglass. Will someone please explain? I also fail to see how a cheap spyglass is only one letter apart from the spyglass of shame. So have I misunderstood something? Or does this spyglass hide a secret?

Reactions: fjx
This is @Pieter Boelen's joke. If I recall correctly, it's based on an interview with one of the Russian developers of the original game. The one letter difference is in Russian - Google Translate translates "shameful spyglass" as "pozornaya podzornaya truba". If you give it "pozornaya" and "podzornaya" separately, it translates them as "shameful" and "spyglass" respectively.

The joke version only appears in "Tales of a Sea Hawk". In "FreePlay" you get the normal cheap spyglass. There is nothing special about the "spyglass of shame" - as with the normal cheap spyglass, you should buy a better spyglass as soon as possible from the nearest street trader.

Since it's causing confusion but shouldn't be removed entirely, I'm now thinking of only giving the "Spyglass of Shame" if you're using one of the "Russian" outfits (which you will be by default, Nathaniel Hawk's outfit being "Give me something with black trousers and vest, in the Russian style"); and if you're not using the default Personal flag.

Back