• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Standalone direct sail mod

hockeytree

Landlubber
Okay i actually registered here for the first time for this question.
To make a long story short, I want to know how to install the direct sail mod on a stock (non-build mod) version of the game.
I understand what im technically asking for is not build mod related however it seems logical that parts of build mod are required to make it run.
Im doing this to install it on the XBox version of the game which I have gotten several other mods to work for.
Is it possible?

I dont think so. The file you could look to adapt is in the main \PROGRAM\ directory after installing the build mod and called 'CCCDirectSail.c' but i'm not sure how you would put that onto an xbox - it being a closed non programable games console. If your doing something for XNA/XBLA and are some kind of coder then it may be possible, but you'll have to extract all the source from the game on XBOX and that is probably illegal and also rather hard.

On balance it would be better to get a PC(expensive, although you don't need a massive high end rig for this game) and then buy PotC(not so expensive) and download the buildmod for free(very cheap!).

I first started playing the game on xbox, loved it and that made me want to get it on PC when i found out about the build mod 12. You won't regret doing the same.

No idea how you'd do that; it WON'T be easy, that I can promise you. :(

actually have potc and buildmod on my laptop. The xbox and pc versions carry nearly identical file structure so mods are not difficult to install. Personally i just want to do this to see if it can be done.

Any more input?

Current mods installed on my xbox version:
Everything from potc mod installer 3.14 will work
and Mapships V2 works very well

So what are some thoughts?

Edit: forgot all C file text editing mods work as well

Have it so game continues after end and danniele is able to be taken out of crew.

Ahoy hockeytree, welcome aboard mate! :dance

This is an interesting Idea, and one that I really hadn't much considered, because when the game first came out there was no easy way to modify the files or adding bug fixes for the Xbox version of the game. This may be an avenue we should explore a bit more. Iif we could figure out how to get the Build Mod, or at least the parts of it that really improve the game, over on the console we may be able to broaden our modding community even farther. I don't know how available used, or even new, copies of the game for Xbox would be. :shrug

I don't have an Xbox, so there is really nothing that I can do with it. Plus I am not much of a coder, so that is two strikes against me. Hockeytree, would you be willing to give us a bit of a short writeup on how exactly you are modifying the files? I am assuming your using an Xbox 360 with an accessible hard drive, and not the original Xbox system?

Well it depends as to what the moderators will allow me to say but I am using a modified original xbox system. I own the game and have it backed up to both my computer and xbox harddrives.
The first thing I did was compare the install path of POTC pc to the files on the xbox.
They are nearly identical except for inside the C files.
I love mapships V2 and read that it didnt require buildmod, it installed easily replacing the files it needed to.
I cleared the cache on the xbox loaded it up and had great looking ships replace the toys.
This made me realize unlike many games the xbox version doesnt require special signing to allow mods to work.
My next attempt was to install buildmod 14 straight ontop of the xbox version.
This leads the game to stick at an endless loading logo.
after looking through i realized this was because buildmod installs custom DLLs and the xbox doesnt know how to read DLLs as xboxs use a custom file for "dlls"
also Im assuming Buildmod requires more than 64mb ram
This showed me what limitations I had to work with.
Next step I found something by draksen called mod installer 3.41 which ironically thagarr the only place i could find was here
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16718-hey-i-have-found-a-mod-installer/
Where you asked for it.
I simply pointed this to my xbox "install" directory and everything barring the pixel shader mod which i didnt care to use worked.
Then I found this
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/914549-pirates-of-the-caribbean/faqs/30122
Which i found showed me how to fix the problem with danniele staying in your crew among many other little things
and I had found direct sail standalone for download however it required buildmod, im considering opening up the files and checking it out.
Two other little requests i have are for the spelling fix mod and the island renaming mod, or more information on how to do them.

Thanks and if I am breaking the TOS because I am using a modified xbox my sincerest apologies.

Ah, ok, modifying the original Xbox was the "no easy way" I was referring too. I don't think it's an issue simply stating that you have modded it. As far as I am concerned, it's your hardware mate, you paid good money for it, and your free to do what you want with it. I have the same opinion about software, but I'll just steer well clear of that issue. :wp

Thanks for taking the time to write that up mate, it is much appreciated. It is unfortunate though, I was hoping you had found a new way of doing it. :facepalm

I got some good info from that installer as well for the Build Mod History manual. Mods were coming out left and right back then, usually by the time they had a new installer ready, there were 10 more new mods or bug fixes to add! xD:

hmm could you elaborate? I figured someone must have tried these things before, installing on a 360 doing what you describe wouldnt change anything in my mind, as the emulator in 360s doesnt add new features.
Is there something I am blindly missing?

That's why I was hoping you had found something new mate, it doesn't work that I know of. The only way that I knew was with the old original Xbox mod that you did.

Personally I couldn't care less about you modifying your Xbox, so go right ahead and tell us!

What you could try is to install Build 13 Final, which should have a lot less modified DLLs.
If that also doesn't work, you can try Build 12.1 as well, which should have an even higher chance of working.

There might still be a stand-alone DirectSail mod for Build 13, which should help you on your way.
Try this file here: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/ccc%20experimentals/Directsail_jan25.zip

You're in luck, since the person who wrote the DirectSail mod in the first place was Couchcaptain Charles.
He hadn't visited the forum for several years now, until he posted here yesterday. So you can always ask him. :doff

Hi Hockeytree :gday

I' afraid that Directsail uses so many codefunctions from Build13 that it won't work without it. And rewriting it so that it only uses stock code will be difficult or impossible. :urgh
But if you are familiar with C+ you can give it a try. :modding The program\CCCdirectsail file contains all the code with a lot of comments that explain how it works. Further information on the concept is in the mod's Readme and in the original forumpost (somewhere in the Build Alpha subforum)

Actually it may be much easier to transfer the whole Build14 into Xbox Potc. FAIK only the Xbox controls code is different from the PC version. The mods from the Build that you don't want can easily be switched off.

And you would be quite the hero for many Xboxers if can convert the Build for them :dance:)

port build mod 14 to the xbox?
Maybe i will but i got a C- in C+ so dont get excited.
Ill document progress here, if i get anywhere.

Can someone confirm if its playable or not with 64mb ram?

Is there a list of all the files that b14 modifies?
Is the sourcecode available?

well I may have gotten a little farther today, i need to know if there is either a command to skip all videos, or if they are controlled by an ini file(s) im not seeing.
problem is xbox can only read xmv, so even after I convert them all, everything still points to wmv files. Obviously the dll files will be tricky, either convert them, or there is the xbmc dll loader.

Maybe i will but i got a C- in C+ so dont get excited.
LOL, that's good enough for PotC modding.

Do you know the basics, what functions and variables are, how to outcomment code etc. ?

As for the videos, the PC program simply skips them if it can't find a .wmv file.

Is there a list of all the files that b14 modifies?
Is the sourcecode available?
There is no list, if you unpack the build in some empty folder you'll see all the files there. I think ther is hardly any programfiles that is NOT modded.

The programcode which the Build changes is all open C code, so you don't need any sourcecode access for that.

FAIK the sourcecode for the Storm Engine is now availlable too, but I don't know if anyone has already worked with that ?

We have access to Storm 2.8 source code CCC, the one used for CoAS. I know we have a t least a couple of people looking at it. I doubt we will ever have access to the source code for POTC simply because Disney was involved.

We don't have the source code for PotC (Storm 2.0), only for CoAS (Storm 2.8).

seadogs.c contains the references to most of the video files at the beginning of the game.
Just search the game code files for ".wmv".

I know enough, but its fun to learn by diving in.

I should have done my research about the source you guys have, that is impressive to say the least. Congrats :cheers

After last night It is my opinion the box lacks sufficient ram, I believe it would be possible on a 128 modded system but crash every 3 minutes or so.

My original goal of direct sail is feasible, its not as complicated as i had previously assumed. (dont hold your breath)

Worst case scenario Ill release an xbox pack that
fixes Akella bugs + horrendous spelling + gives the best visuals without exceeding 64mb ram
My current version loads faster and looks better than I could imagine, but is averaging 59mb use while standing.

best case (far off imaginary goal)
all previously mentioned along with direct sail, real carribean, and several of the realism mods.

Be very careful changing the spelling in the actual code mate, all those references should remain as they are. Good luck mate, I really hope you are able to do this, that would be awesome! :onya

Be very careful changing the spelling in the actual code mate, all those references should remain as they are. Good luck mate, I really hope you are able to do this, that would be awesome! :onya
Wow, finding these posts and my old account 10 years later is weird as heck!

Someone posted about this game and Im trying to source my modded xbox version to release it on the internet archive and I find the exact instructions on how to recreate it TYPED OUT BY ME! Hey Thagarr, do you know if anyone has a copy of that Mod Installer 3.14 or anything close to it?
Googling leads me to believe I still am the only person to ever do this.

Back