• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Stars Or Planets

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Well i would expect to see stars at night and planets well i wouldn't expect to see them that easily, and if i did see any other than the moon it would be a small dot in the distance, right? wrong.

Now why can i see all those planets so easily? I haven't edited any of the files that refer to the sky or anything my edits are cannons and ships. Anyway thourght i would share my bizare experience while testing some ship to ship combat out against 6 pirate ships and 2 French ships.

I've always thought having the celestial bodies in the game is so cool. :onya I used to use Galileo's telescope often in the old Carribean Tales. I had always wished they would have done more with this and one can always hope they do eventually. Wouldn't it be cool if on a more difficult setting (or a navigation option) you COULD NOT use the tactical map and had to navigate place to place instead. A couple of the items you could acquire would be a sextant or astrolabe which would be more complex and reliable depending on era as well as an almanac with celestial tables. Then the planets would be more than just curious eye candy. :keith

I have observed them during daylight before, but I do think its very odd that they're all three in a row like that. Never seen that before. :shrug

V/R AS

Well i would expect to see stars at night and planets well i wouldn't expect to see them that easily, and if i did see any other than the moon it would be a small dot in the distance, right? wrong.

Now why can i see all those planets so easily? I haven't edited any of the files that refer to the sky or anything my edits are cannons and ships. Anyway thourght i would share my bizare experience while testing some ship to ship combat out against 6 pirate ships and 2 French ships.

Yes, that's been a feature since the Sea Dogs days. :)

Unfortunately, the night sky is not accurately modeled.

Yeah, I've seen this as well. Don't remember seeing them in the daylight like this in the older games, though. But meh, who cares. They're not of any practical use, sadly. As modernknight1 said, being required to actually do some celestial navigation would be extremely cool.

I agree the ability to use stars, planets to navigate and the angle of the sun to determin the time of day would be a nice feature too but something tells me thats not easy or perhaps possible at the moment.

While doing more testing i noticed this

Now if thats the moon whats it doing all the way up there, anyway thats the only plnet i can see now but it is strange to see a planet so high and directly above me so i can't view it through the spy glass. :modding

That's not a planet, simply an artifact. Directly above is the point around which the texture of the skybox wraps (if that makes any sense), which produces odd artifacts like this if the authors don't do the texture properly.

Back