• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Start-up crash

Giovanni lopez

Landlubber
So i'm new to this what i did was just extract the "b14_beta4_final.tar" archive into my POTC folder and started it up i went well and it looked fine, started making my char and it would load for a while then the message: "FindIslandByLocation ERROR: Please post your compile.log file at piratesahoy.net!" so...that's what i'm doing! :) i hope someone can help me today if not, dont worry.

Thanks

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.7 KB · Views: 138
Add some spyware which reports the player's home address. Remotely access their drives and see if there's evidence that they've manually extracted the archive file. Then travel to their homes and explain it to them with a baseball bat. xD

Otherwise, there's not much you can do. You can try to include instructions somewhere, but either they're built into the installer and won't be read by someone who extracts the archive before running the installer; or they're built into the archive and can only be read by extracting it; or they're a third file which needs to be downloaded in addition to the installer and archive, and then you need to hope the player reads them.

Perhaps have the installer create a small file somewhere whose only purpose is to show that the installer has done its thing. Then have the main game look for that file and display a rude message if it doesn't find the file. :D

I've tried by making the file extension "tar", that people would be less likely to touch it.
Actually I wanted to use ".potc", but while that works fine for the Installer EXE, browsers don't understand and ModDB doesn't allow it. :facepalm

Perhaps have the installer create a small file somewhere whose only purpose is to show that the installer has done its thing. Then have the main game look for that file and display a rude message if it doesn't find the file. :D
It sort-of already does that. Any updates will refuse to install if that "marker file" isn't there.

Would be an idea to have the game itself look for that file too.
I've done something like that before so that sounds possible.... :whipa

Back