• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Starting issues with 14.10

DrSysAdmin

Landlubber
First of all - excellent work and a big thanks to all who have worked on this.

Now - I am running on a work machine and would love to play PoTC at work. Its a optiplex 755 - running windows 7U-32.

The problem I am confident is the integrated Intel graphics card. I have tried the swiftshader workaround - and have had something close to success.

Here is where I am currently.

I can launch the game, get to the main menu, but when I start a new game - I get a CTD without it loading into the game proper. However - once - and only once - have I gotten it to launch fully and was actually able to play.

I have tried running in a window, as well as full screen. I am running the game as admin, with visual themes, desktop composition, and display scaling all disabled. I know this will work, but its so hit and miss its driving me bonkers.

Anyone have any specifics that I may be missing? Thanks in advance.

Is the original game installed to PROGRAM FILES??

If so try putting it somewhere like My Documents and then try installing the mods ;)

Sounds like the famous Intel problem; the only REAL soltion I know is to play on another computer. :(

May I know what type of Intel integrated graphics your computer has?

I know for a fact that the more recent Intel graphics on netbooks (GN40, or at very least a i945) can, surprisingly, run older games quite well (older meaning 2004 or earlier), but if you have a i910 or something that's strictly for office work!

Then again even if it didn't fail to load entirely, your enjoyment would be limited with very poor framerates.

I'm pretty sure the Intel GMAs do not run this game. No matter how good they are (which is still not good, since they are integrated)

When it crashes, what exactly is the error message that comes up?
From what I know, if you get the runtime error, it likely is your intel GMA. Try with swiftshader (but you can't actually play with shiftshader, horribly FPS and will fry your computer)

If it just crashes and windows gives you the little program is not responding box, then I believe that is more game code related.

Thanks to all for the replies.

SWS - The graphics chipset is a Q35 Express.

CM - I am installed to my D drive - in program files. C is my OS and as this is a test machine, wanted to keep that clean, but I can install to the root or a games directory off of the root and see if that affects it.

Pieter - I am inclined to agree but am going to keep trying! Its worth it!

TDL - I have tried swiftshader. If memory serves me it was in use when I got a momentary success.
On a side note - I have run Age of Pirates (which uses the same engine I believe) on this machine without major issues.

AoP uses an updated version of the same engine, but it's not exactly the same.
I'm still surprised that WOULD work and PotC wouldn't though. :wacko:

Back