• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help stealth

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I have noticed that my stealth numbers are the only ones not going up, so deliberately started trying to get some stealth. I tried robbing houses, the residence, the merchant, and the shipyard with no luck.
I have stood in a corner till after midnight and all the guards are still there.

I have set my PIRATES to max out luck and stealth, and luck does increase, but not stealth.

How is this done?

Stealth is increased by successfully/unsuccessfully:

1) Sneaking into towns or prisons and fooling the guards
2) Approaching enemy forts under false colors
3) Brandishing false colors and sailing into enemy ship encounters
4) Conducting smuggling operations

and several other ways...

I've read somewhere else that actually failing to do 1 and 2 and 3 is what would increase the number, not doing it successfully. So as I can recall, you can get near a fort under a false flag, though try to be out of range, and if you are recognized then the game adds xp points to your stealth.
Don't take my word for it, its second-hand info.

I've read somewhere else that actually failing to do 1 and 2 and 3 is what would increase the number, not doing it successfully. So as I can recall, you can get near a fort under a false flag, though try to be out of range, and if you are recognized then the game adds xp points to your stealth.
Don't take my word for it, its second-hand info.

Both work, however failing increases skills more based on script code.
Watch your percentages in both cases, and you will see what I mean.
Stealth increases still depend on "Success" (50%) and Insight (50%) base skills, so your mileage depends on these factors as well.

Oh, yes. I have learned how to increase stealth by flying false colors when approaching a fort. Up to 35 now.

Oh, yes. I have learned how to increase stealth by flying false colors when approaching a fort. Up to 35 now.

I believe this was the easiest way to build your stealth up however I have never done it myself. Normally I just fly false colors and if I get recognised then we have a fight if not then I sail with them for a while to see if they do recognise me a little later or not, if they don't then I move onto another fleet from the same nation and keep doing that till my stealth is high enough to have a very good chance of sailing into a town. Normally though I only do this if I play as a pirate as its a vital skill to have, but not massively (at least for me) if playing as another nation.

It's always a kick when you capture a ship without a single fire shot, just by pretending. There is that added pressure of a mix-up as you get close by.
And a beneficial perk about flying a false color is that you can more easily check ship encounters if you use the world map. You can't see what ships are involved from there, but you can enter sailing mode and choose yourself where you want to mingle or not.

The whole thing about stealth looks kind of as a needless complication at first or one would think that it just involves too much reloading which is just tedious. I've avoided it myself because of the latter. It's actually rather doable when one gets the hang of it (builds-up), even amusing. Vital if you are sticking with being a pirate.

You would have to fly solo though. You can't have yourself leading a squadron, merchant or war, if you are into it as it very difficult to sneak into ports. Having just a second ship would require a stealthy companion hero and more importantly its canons stripped as the ai always think it is more amusing to shoot on a fort rather than walk away. This complicates things in other encounters when you have a lugging tub with no armaments. I do go on.:D Just a perspective.

Back