• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Steam Frigates

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
This may have been covered before, but when I was getting a screenshot of the French steam frigate yesterday, I remembered just how bizarrely these things behave. In other words, they go stupidly fast perpendicular to the wind, slower with the wind, and into the wind... I didn't test, but I'm sure it isn't right. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to make these things handle more realistically? :?

Not really, no. We haven't figured out how to make them REALLY self-propelled, so they're as much sailing ships as the other ones are.
Code:
Max speed in broad reach ;semi-wind independent
That's what SWS added as a note for the final values used.
When you try to sail straight into the wind, she'll lose speed like any other sailing vessel will.
I supposed to main advantage to the steamships is not that they're REALLY steampowered,
but that their sailing characteristics are so different from the other ships that you can get the advantage in a situation where otherwise you wouldn't.
Oh... and they look cool. :razz
As long as the smoke comes out of the funnel (which it doesn't at full speed :facepalm ).

Not really, no. We haven't figured out how to make them REALLY self-propelled, so they're as much sailing ships as the other ones are.
I thought the whole idea was to make her semi wind-dependant, not 100% self propelled. There are just times when she goes abnormally fast (I mean, MUCH faster than all other ships), but that's quite possibly because of high winds making it look bizarre. :shrug

Code:
Max speed in broad reach ;semi-wind independent
That's what SWS added as a note for the final values used.
When you try to sail straight into the wind, she'll lose speed like any other sailing vessel will.
I supposed to main advantage to the steamships is not that they're REALLY steampowered,
but that their sailing characteristics are so different from the other ships that you can get the advantage in a situation where otherwise you wouldn't.
Oh... and they look cool. :razz
Yes, I guess most of the characteristics make sense, and I certainly agree they look cool (I especially like the French one!).

However, this note in ships_init has just made me wonder...
Code:
// British experimented successfully with steam prototypes in 18th Century.
Haven't we forgotten something...? Or some nation....? It wasn't just the US and French, you know! :cheeky

EDIT: In fact....

[attachment=5590:New_steamfrigate.jpg]

We're already half-way there!

I like it! Did you manage to update the flag on the bow as well?

I like it! Did you manage to update the flag on the bow as well?
All I did was make the US_SteamFrigate use the RN_BattleFrigate hull and deck textures, plus the FR_SteamFrigate's masts, then edited the 'Added' texture which covers the extra parts on the steam ship. :wp So yes, as with the RN_BattleFrigate, the flag is correct. :yes
So do you reckon she's a ship worth adding to the game? I'd certainly like to see her there!

On a side note, I followed the 'tradition' in ships_init for the steamships' entries, and gave the new one a name. I simply looked through the ship names file and found one that I liked the sound of; "Astrea". (No, I didn't choose it because I was too lazy to look beyond the A's. :razz )
But then I went and searched for that name on the internet, and by pure coincidence, I found that the only RN ship ever to bear the name 'Astrea' (in that spelling) was a wooden 'screw frigate' (a steam frigate with propellers). She was ordered in 1861, but cancelled 2 years later, so in fact there was never officially a 'HMS Astrea' in the Royal Navy. So the name is quite fitting! xD:

Looks nice. Just a question, what is the white plume coming out of the side of the ship?

Looks nice. Just a question, what is the white plume coming out of the side of the ship?
According to ships_init.c, there are two exhausts; one for the coal furnace, and one for boiler steam release. The white one is probably the latter.

have you tried making my engine sound mod yet? i could try finding the topic. the attachements should still be there.

that's odd, it didn't log me in. oh well, here's the topic:

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/15998-steamship-sound-mock-up/

Nope, never got round to doing that. One day I'm hoping we can, but I'm not sure when because I've got too much to do as it is. :modding

Oh... and yes, the RN steamfrigate would be welcome as well. Apart from download size, I can't think of any reason to exclude her.
And I'm still hoping they'll get some quest use some day. But we'll see about that... :shrug

aw, nuts. i tried fixed it, btw, but i never got the chance to test my modifications.

Oh... and yes, the RN steamfrigate would be welcome as well. Apart from download size, I can't think of any reason to exclude her.
Well put it this way, I've only needed to add ONE extra texture, and copy all the GM files once, so it's not a noticeable impact on the download size, really. :onya

And I'm still hoping they'll get some quest use some day. But we'll see about that... :shrug
Now that would be interesting! Or at least some sort of quest should use a custom ship, besides Master and Commander. :yes

As for the sound effects, I'd like to see them working someday; that would really add to their unique characteristics!

It would do, yes. And as for quest use for the new ship; I'm sure they'll get used once we've got them in a Patch.
I'll make a Patch 4 shortly after I get your files, so hopefully some time next week.

Back