• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Storm Damage

jokash

Sailor
I would like to decrease the damage from the storms especialy to the sails because 1. I like spending time in storms and 2. I dont think that sails get those swiss chesse holes in real life from rain and strong wind ( correct me if im wrong ). So does anybody know which files i need to change? Playing with 1.2 GOF mod.

Lighter sails don't really get cheese holes in them... They actually tend to literally get blown to shreds in heavy enough winds. They can also be destroyed by being torn out of their bolt ropes, (a rope providing strength and structure to the edge of the sail that is sewn onto the sail) or having their sheets break. (The sheets are the two lines that hold the bottom corners of the sail to the yard underneath the sail)

In short, Swiss cheese holes are the only way the game can simulate the above mishaps, which would happen every time a sail was set in conditions too severe for the thickness of the sail.

Hmm....I can't do anything about the technical side, but perhaps visually it may be possible to change the sail damage texture, instead of holes, make them into torn shreds. Would that be acceptable? Id have to experiement but it could be possible.

Yeah acutaly stupid thing to say about sail damage since i know that the game has limitations.Its not the effect that bothers me so much as the time it takes for the storm to fully "eat" you sails. Remeber in that scene in master and commander they just lost one sail while sailing in a storm ( Acheron also had her sail set ) dont know how much this can relate to reality but you get my point. Seeing a ship with set sails in a storm is a glorious thing and its just lasts soo short in AOP 2

I wrote a fairly long repose, only to find out that my internet had stopped working- I don't want to re-write the entire thing again, so here is a summary:

A ship can't set all its sails in a storm; that would invariably cause damage to the rigging, even destroying the mast its self in extreme cases. The game doesn't let us just set a few sails of our choice, so there is little incentive to making the rest of the storm mechanics more realistic. I don't think implementing shredding sails would be more realistic, since any sail that was damaged in that manner would have been cut away to prevent damage to the other rigging. It would be better to implement sails being completely blown out, if it's possible to only make it work in a storm.

Ok im convinced that sailing with full sails is a no go, but sailing with half sails in AOP will also eat your sails pretty fast and that would be a real life alternative to sailing with some sails set so i still wish i could reduce the damgage so i can stay longer in a storm

Battle sails still don't make the cut in my opinion. In the game you usually only take in courses, leaving up t'gallants and royals. Ideally you would want to look like this: (note the missing t'gallantmasts. If you don't know what I'm referring to look at my "Parts of a Ship" thread under storm engine modelling.)

607973473160102172452.jpg

hehe i knew you were gonna bitch about not proper sails being set but in my opinion its close enough (since we dont have anything else lol) please dont take any insult i can see you are very knowlegable in this whole area.

Perhaps too knowledgeable? I have persuaded some of the modelers to give their vessels less sail, but I don't think the ones already in game even approach "close enough." Half of the heavier sails are doused, while the high-up light air sails stay set. We could potentially add another sail setting to the game, but that would take coders and a ludicrous amount of time.

If you still want to know, you need to modify the AIShip.c. Search for sails damage. In that area youll find the hull damage as well.

Tnx for the help.Tried it last night works perfectly.AIship.c. who would have looked there sounds like something that handels AI files not storm related damage (among other things)o_O

I have to add that I think the storm damage is pretty realistic over vanilla. Your ship would be OVERLY damaged in vanilla. Luke159 changed the weather files and AIship significantly. I know folks are tired of me sounding like YODA..... but I say PATIENCE. Yoda voice says: "Wait should you until level up you will"......Once you level up to 15 or so the storms hardly damage you at all, so editing prematurely will mean that you receive no storm damage once you advance a little.

MK

Back