• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Storms and Spinning Ships

um no, the console scares me ;) I might get around to that later, got a pirate party of a 1x Light East Indiaman, 2x English War Gallion and 1x East Indiaman chasing me from La Grenade to Barbados currently! They are after my cargo of 292 cwt sailcloth(must be all them sails they have to maintain?), pesky pirates. I just hope the wind stays on my side, a nasty turn for the worse and they are only 1000 or so yards away! ok make that 700 yards or so!! Come on Lugger1, come on!

:keith

I'm guessing this is what we need to change, from the same file as above:
Code:
// do damage if storm or tornado
//placed here by MAXIMUS -->
float fExp;
float fWindAttack;
float fDamageMultiply;
float fDamageHP;
//placed here by MAXIMUS <--
if (bStorm && bSeaActive)
{
fWindAttack = 1.0 - abs(fWindDotShip);

fDamageMultiply = fStormProfessional * Bring2Range(0.25, 1.0, 0.0, 1.0, fWindAttack);

// hull damage
// NK -->
fDamageHP = (sqrt(fBaseShipHP) / 15);
// NK <--
Ship_ApplyHullHitpoints(rCharacter, fDamageMultiply * fDamageHP, KILL_BY_TOUCH, -1);

// sails damage
switch (MakeInt(fSailState * 2.0))
{
case 0: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.15); break;
case 1: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.55); break;
case 2: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 1.1); break;
}

So are we looking at something like this here?

case 0: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.10); break;
case 1: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.35); break;
case 2: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.5); break;

Or should they be higher?

I found it!

Here is a link to the post that has the settings Armada thought were ok. See what you think. :drunk

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17614-storms-and-spinning-ships/page__view__findpost__p__395424

I think those were the default values, atleast going from Pieters reply to Armada? I've set them to the lower values i posted and will report back if i notice anything odd.

Just to clarify, the quote you posted shows the stock values, while the quote below states the values I chose to use:
A little experimenting has lead to three numbers which I think are more suitable; 0.05, 0.15 and 0.25.
Much smaller, I know, but they still leave a few holes here and there. The player would still need 'Storm Helmsman' to reduce the damage further, and reduce the holes down to the odd one or two.
Those values are based on the original sail damage texture, so with your new one it might be good to raise them slightly. :yes

um no, the console scares me ;)
As Pieter said, the console is a Modder's best friend, especially when it comes to testing purposes. :dance
If you need any help using it, then just ask.

Just to clarify, the quote you posted shows the stock values, while the quote below states the values I chose to use:
A little experimenting has lead to three numbers which I think are more suitable; 0.05, 0.15 and 0.25.
Much smaller, I know, but they still leave a few holes here and there. The player would still need 'Storm Helmsman' to reduce the damage further, and reduce the holes down to the odd one or two.

Those values are based on the original sail damage texture, so with your new one it might be good to raise them slightly. :yes

Ah yes i hadn't thought of that, but good idea - my sails-damage retexture was just a quick and dirty 'fix', an experiment really; so i plan to go back to it and refine it for later, adding lots more really small damage detail etc, so yeah a more damaged overall look to that texture might require slightly increased values as you mention.

um no, the console scares me ;)
As Pieter said, the console is a Modder's best friend, especially when it comes to testing purposes. :dance
If you need any help using it, then just ask.

I'm just being lazy really, but i'll ask if i have a question about it :yes

Code:
case 0: arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate; fRotate -= 0.02; break;
case 1: arCharShip.stormimp = fRotate; fRotate += 0.02; break;
I have had the chance to test this fix in the Heavy Lugger, Heavy Brig, and War Galleon and it has stopped the continuous left turning bug in all aspects, while maintaining a nice momentary loss of control here and there... I recently found myself in the midst of a twister while on a smuggling run with my war galleon (with 20% HP to boot) and came out of it safely, without a single loss of cargo.

Code:
case 0: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.05); break;
case 1: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.15); break;
case 2: MakeSailDmg(iCharacterIndex, fDamageMultiply * (fBaseSailHP / 100.0) * 0.25); break;
I also applied Armada's sail damage fix, and found it to work wonders (especially with the larger ships). I am able to keep sails at half mast and come out with enough of it to dress my crew!

Keep up the good work! :onya

*Update* -- While jumping in to help a a few English war vessels against some ever so ruthless French merchant ships, I found my Ship of the Line in a storm battle and encountered myself in a continuous right spin bug this time. This is the first time this has happened and I will test it more.

Darn.....so close, but no cigar! :facepalm

thanks for the info Nenketsu :onya

I've yet to see any spining bug(left or right) but will say if i do!!!

All I can say is that with your and Armada's settings a light fluyt is a handful. It's so slow to turn that tossing cargo is a maybe, maybe not proposition and if you let it swing away it takes forever to bring it back in line with the waves.

Oh, and your sails look just fine and show damage well.

:cheers

The aim is to make Storms 'a big deal', so something the player is actually concerned about(as you would be in real life, with a hold full of cargo to loose!), while fixing that annoying spinning bug that means you have no control during a storm. Atleast now you have control, but also the storm element that means you got to keep on top of things as best you can. The sail damage still needs tweaking and testing as does the spin-left bug fix. Still we now have a spinning right bug.........so :shrug

Back