• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

suggested settings for GOF

gandalf8211

Landlubber
Hi there, what are the best settings to play GOF? What is the suggested difficulty? Is better to select tactical or dinamycal battles? thank you mates!

This all depends on what you want from the game, if you are new to COAS then i would say play on Sailor for a while to get use to the game, then move onto a more challanging difficulty. If you are already use to COAS then Captain difficulty can be very challanging, if you like realism then go into options and bottom right tab called Mods, switch what you want on/off. Turning realistic weights on for example would mean you can't carry as much cargo but that and realistic costs will make it more difficult to make money. Realistic ship encounters will mean you do not find yourself out gunned very often, turning this off will make it so you can find yourself in the middle of a bunch of MOW's. More challanging but not very realistic. Each of the mods has a little explination of what to expect by turning it on or off, have a look and see what you like the sound of and change them to what you want. Please be aware that you will need to start a new game if you choose to change them at some point mid game, so make sure the settings you want are what you want and that you will not change your mind about them later on. Do a few test games to see would most likely be a better option, then you can see for yourself how they work and if you like them or not.

so thats why..... i so rarely see a mow around think few years passed in my game iv seen mb 10 mows overall (non could carry 48lbs) anyway Luke what can happen if i turn realistic ship encounters to off in late game?:(

The following settings should be ok to switch on or off durring game play without effecting the game in any weird way (mot tested though) so it could effect the games stability if done a lot, but once or twice should be fine if changed for testing to see which settings you like the most.

Realistic ship encounters (requires game to be saved and closed after this has been changed to on or off)
RTBL aka Real Time Battle Light (requires game to be saved and closed after this has been changed to on or off)
Realistic weights (requires game to be saved and closed after this has been changed to on or off)
Realistic prices (requires game to be saved and closed after this has been changed to on or off)
Realistic Ship Purchase.

As of yet those are the only ones i have tested, i am sure that Realistic Ship Encounters, Realistic Weights, Realistic Prices and RTBL require the game to be save after changing their settings and then close the game down so when you reloaded the game the new settings can take effect. (This was because the reinit button been removed), however the reinit button was added through the console file i have not tested to see if it actually does change the ingame value's for weights and prices for the goods without exiting the game first. It should do, the other settings above should work without having to exit the game first (i say should but have not tested this in GOF 1.1). In CMV3.2 the reinit function was used but wasn't actually needed for some of them. Realistic Ship Purchase should be fine, you shouldn't need to do anything since its a .C file so upon the game generating a new fleet it should automatically switch to the new setting if changed. With Realistic Ship Encounters on the idea was to make it more true, with small ships been seen a lot more and the larger OW's not been seen so much. This area requires further tweaking in a later version of GOF (will remain as it is in now for the next version GOF 1.2). But it does need some tweaking to make it much more fun, but still giving the chance to find large ships at sea. The MOW's looks to be very much how we wanted them, the Battleships, Warships and Lineships though do need some changes to make them not as hard to find as the MOW's but not as easy as they are right now.

As far as I have tested, All the options should be toggle-able In-Game. After changing the settings it does a mini re-init for just what it needs to, so you can play around with all the settings during the game.

Some things, like the Realistic Ship purchases will not take effect until the next shipyard update after a few days, but they can all be changed.

Get back to me if any thing does not toggle as expected.

yup you're right its posible to toggle with saving and rolading save good now i see full map of fat ships haha but nvm think ill get it back to realistic soon as i have all ships stored that i wanted. .

(but still dont understand why non quest soleil is by far the cheapest class 1 ship 170 000 to 200 000)

@Jonathan Aldridge

Thanks bud, now i know. :onya

@ HorrorOfThe7Seas!
That i think has been fixed for GOF 1.2, if it hasn't then it will be. ;)

Nope 1.2 is not out yet, as and when it will be released is not yet been talked about because it needs some things to be finished before final testing can start and fixes if any bugs are found and a little more testing to make sure we got all the bugs and fixed those that we found. And sorry to say, but yes a new game will be required.

Back