• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Suggestions for improvements

Pirateer

Landlubber
There should be a certain thread for general suggestions regarding the game, but I cannot find any. But my main concerns/suggestions are:

1) The steady disturbing by enemy ships is annoying, but at least when looking at world map (by pressing Tab in map view)
you should not be interrupted by attacking enemy ships and locked for a long while. Game should be "frozen" when looking at that map.

2) Drawing sword should be by own decision - and not automatically when spotted if looking in a chest or just being asked by enemy soldier. Mostly I had preferred just escape and not being feared by everyone after unnecessarily drawing sword in that unpleasant way.

3) On islands they could use a navigation system orresponding to that on sea: A "map view", where you by foot or cart towed by horses/donkeys travel large distances freely or along a network of paths. In "land view" you see yourself sitting in cart or on horse/donkey back. And when "anchoring" you walk freely by foot in the terrain, looking for treasures , people and so on. That also solves the "map problem" on land. :keith

There should be a certain thread for general suggestions regarding the game, but I cannot find any. But my main concerns/suggestions are:

1) The steady disturbing by enemy ships is annoying, but at least when looking at world map (by pressing Tab in map view)
you should not be interrupted by attacking enemy ships and locked for a long while. Game should be "frozen" when looking at that map.
I agree it can be quite annoying when this happens all the time :modding

The main thing is all the really experienced modders are either unavailable or busy working on the Build Mod, if you were to have a go at this yourself we would try and help you though ;)
2) Drawing sword should be by own decision - and not automatically when spotted if looking in a chest or just being asked by enemy soldier. Mostly I had preferred just escape and not being feared by everyone after unnecessarily drawing sword in that unpleasant way.
I think once you get spotted everyone becomes afraid of you any way :shrug
3) On islands they could use a navigation system orresponding to that on sea: A "map view", where you by foot or cart towed by horses/donkeys travel large distances freely or along a network of paths. In "land view" you see yourself sitting in cart or on horse/donkey back. And when "anchoring" you walk freely by foot in the terrain, looking for treasures , people and so on. That also solves the "map problem" on land. :keith
This would be a huge mod and I cant see it happening Im afraid to say :no

I agree it can be quite annoying when this happens all the time :modding

The main thing is all the really experienced modders are either unavailable or busy working on the Build Mod, if you were to have a go at this yourself we would try and help you though ;)
I think once you get spotted everyone becomes afraid of you any way :shrug
This would be a huge mod and I cant see it happening Im afraid to say :no

Thanks for answer, Captain! But primary I aimed at suggestions for game developers - not as modification patches. I guess developers also read these posts. Ideas to think of in future versions of pirate games.

Those pirate games from Akella are decent, but there are some things
I (and obviously others) are less content with.

An other "issue" in the game I think is the
very large number of crew required for overtaking a ship - while
your own ship continue sailing well even if roughly only the captain is left.
For instance in original Sid Meier games already a crew of just
5 - 7 people was sufficient. (How was it in reality?) And upon this
also defeating enemy crew until last man is not appealing - better
using Sid Meyer concept where surviving surrendering crew could join you.

:nk

Increasing that part of the game with minimum crew been a target, i know to ballance things out the AI need to cheat some what but at the start you can be attacked by several small ships or several large ships like Frigates while your still in a class 6 or 5 ship. I get annoyed but understand why that happens however in the case of crew, if i loose most of my crew cannon loading times are drastically increased while the enemy with no crew can still reload there cannons just as fast as when they had full crew. But i totally agre like in POTC you should be able to take the surviving crew members as part of your own crew rather than as prisoners. I know if after the battle you enter your cabin or are on land or another ship you can press enter key and select to have the prisoners join your crew which is good but thats most often pointless since you would be looking to replace them with more experieced sailers at ports or after battles, its while your in battles you need the crew members of captured ships to agree to join your crew not after the battles ended.

Back