• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Planned Feature Survival During Boarding: Captured by Enemy Nation

Mask

HoO Team Member
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Creative Support
Quest Writer
Maybe. I thought there were cases of privateers getting reasonable treatment by enemy nations when captured, which didn't apply to ones considered pure pirates? Can't remember, so I may be completely off base.

Certainly, your conduct as a privateer for nation 1 would effect your standing and chances of turn-coating to nation 2. If they consider you a scumbag psycho, they'd rather hang you than hire you, regardless of your affiliation. If you were just doing your job, and you did it well, they might want you doing it for them.

At the moment we have no such feature as "being captured". Either you die or you survive and are free.

Well, the way it was handled in Mount and Blade and Pirates! was that you would be held for a while then released for a ransom, or you escape. If you're considered a pirate, escaping or being let off on ransom might be harder. You could simply adjust the chances of survival based off your reputation when defeated by an enemy to simulate this.

That'll be another new feature to be added. Would be good though, since right now there is no survival if you die during a boarding action.

I still want to add the possebility to get captured during boarding and end up in jail. Problem is I suspect it wont be used that often cause people will just reload anyways.

I still want to add the possebility to get captured during boarding and end up in jail. Problem is I suspect it wont be used that often cause people will just reload anyways.
That does sound plausible. I wonder how many people actually make use of the "resurrection mod" that allows you to continue play.
Perhaps we could make a poll for that to check.

I would very much like the feature survival upon failing a boarding action. Right now this is an obvious gap in our mod, since there IS survival everywhere else, but not during boarding.
And for pure role-play it could be much more fun to not reload if something goes wrong, but deal with the consequences properly.

I usually save before every fight, and then just reload when I die/fail :D But in boardings.. well when I die in boardings, I usually dont have a savegame right before the fight, but somewhere on the worldmap, having to search for a good loot again.. so if there would be a survival in boarding, maybe linked with a nice little sidequest, I'd definitly use that^^

Partly, that is because these sorts of games have poor engagement design for if you have a setback. In Mount and Blade, if you lose your high level army and your companions are scattered to the wind and you lose some expensive gear, what's the point in continuing from there? The setback has no engagement, it's just an annoyance. We'll want to put a lot of thought on how to make setbacks interesting in HoO. For PotC, I'm not sure that level of overhaul would work out.

As an example of an interesting setback, let's say it's possible for an ally to come to attack the ship which captured you, and you can use the distraction to escape from your cell, and set the powder room to blow as you leap off the boat Michael Bay style? Bouncing back from that setback almost fully (assuming you can resume control of your boat) would be very interesting.

Another possibility is you gain fame when you have a setback (as who doesn't think it's interesting to talk about the famous captain being defeated, but miraculously escaping/surviving?) and friends will sometimes help you back to your feet with missions, renting you ships, etc.. What's more, avenging yourself on the enemies who wronged you could be worth extra fame and restore your military reputation.

If you give the player interesting options and, "rewards," when they fail,it'll make failing interesting. Like the designer of Zoombeanies said. He'd liked to reward the players with an interesting animation when they failed at a puzzle, to lessen the sting of defeat. Rewarding the players for success isn't as important, as success is its own reward to an extent. Many games however take the opposite approach, trying to make the player feel even worse for their failures to the extent where they'd prefer to undo it altogether (I remember restarting games just to avoid a minor failure).

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention. Some games are based entirely around starting over and set back, namely rogue-likes such as Rogue Legacy and etc.. Most notably in these sorts of games, you upgrade functions which help you to get back to your feet. Stuff that makes your next character have that head start. If in Mount and Blade capturing castles and lands made it easy to rebuild your army and summon back your companions, then people wouldn't be so concerned about losing a battle at that point in the game.

That's essentially what I was suggesting with friends and allies. Ways the player can basically prepare themselves for a failure. This gives a sense of progression as their ability to spring back increases, and increases the importance in things like owning a business and land, or having friends and allies.

Last edited:
Back