• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tabletop games (Board and Card games)

Diperscitus

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
I've always enjoyed board games and card games. My father came from a family where weekly card nights with the whole family were normal.
So, unsurprisingly, my father taught me card games like Uno/Mau Mau, Jokeren, Belote, Canasta and Thirty-one at a young age. We also played a few board games like Clue, Catan (board game and card game), Carcassonne and Citadels but nothing major.
Only recently, after I found the boardgames subreddit, I discovered the huge amount of very good board games out there. The fact is that since The Settlers of Catan a Golden Age started of board gaming. So I've been buying some board games like Lords of the Waterdeep (Huge success! Everyone loved it) , Ticket to Ride Europe (Also super fun) and Dixit (Actually a card game. Still need to play it). Today arrived a meatier game for myself called Mage Knight. It's primarily a Solo-game but can also be played with up to four players although that can easily take up to 4-5 hours. Really looking forward to play that tomorrow.
:keith
But do you guys like playing tabletop games? Any recommendations?

Last edited:
You've already mentioned my favourites - Ticket To Ride (both Europe and US) and Settlers of Catan, and to a lesser extent Uno and Carcassonne.

For card games, try Fluxx. As well as the basic version, there are many themed versions including Pirate Fluxx.

There's also Tell Tale, which is a story-telling game involving cards. The cards are divided into various genres and each contains a character name, place or phrase. There are three rounds of bidding for cards exposed on the table which you can add to your hand, then you have to make a story from what's written on your cards. You don't have to use the whole lot - in fact, you might not be able to use them all because there's a maximum limit of how many you can play into a story, plus one way to get bonus points is to have a story with exactly one of each type. You're allowed to add one word before and one after each card so you can join them into coherent sentences, and you can add punctuation as you see fit. Which means that my favourite moment from one game was when I killed the fairy godmother. :D One card is "the fairy godmother comes to the rescue". Another is "is framed for the murder of". So I played "<don't remember the name> is framed for the murder of the fairy godmother, comes to the rescue, <rest of story>"

Also appropriate here and a fun game in its own right is Liar's Dice. Apart from some idea of the (fairly simple) rules, all you need is lots of 6-sided dice and some cups.

Also appropriate here and a fun game in its own right is Liar's Dice. Apart from some idea of the (fairly simple) rules, all you need is lots of 6-sided dice and some cups.
Indeed! I bought a PotC-themed set in San Diego many years ago and it is surprisingly fun.
Never get around to playing it, but that is a different story. :razz

Back