• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Technically a pirate game - Pulsar: Lost Colony

kane

Landlubber
Hi, I've been following the progress of HoO on and off for a while now and I've also just started playing this new game: Pulsar: Lost Colony.

I thought people on here might find it interesting. It is a space game but has a lot of features and is generally laid out how I imagined HoO might be. I've had to broaden my horizons as old 3rd person naval warfare games are quite niche.

Basically it's a game where up to 5 people work together on a spaceship and have to carry out their own respective tasks (engineer, pilot, captain) to keep the vessel "afloat". And what's great is all the roles are quite vital and important so it really does feel like a true team game.

The reason I like it and related it to HoO, apart from obvious nautical-space related reasons, is the sense that you walk around the ship, do ship specific housekeeping and in that it becomes very engaging and immersive.

The game could definitely use more content but apparently the devs are good and active, it is early release though just so you know, but not very buggy in a game breaking way.

So yeah, just thought I'd let you know if that sounds interesting to you. I've been playing it with random people online for a few days now and really enjoy it :) Maybe you will have a go and it will inspire/give ideas to those at the core of developing HoO

Thank you

That multi player aspect you mention there sounds more similar to Blackwake than Hearts of Oak, actually.

Yeah I see that, but is blakewake not round based as opposed to continuous rpg type game. I'm not a great fan of round based games.
I don't know I've not played blackwake but I like the "world continuity" and ship/crew growing aspect of Pulsar which I didn't think blackwake included.

I do also realise HoO is supposed to be single player. It's not that the co-op makes it so great, It's hard to describe. One part of it is that you are on deck and you have a job to do, which I really haven't played many games like. and yeah blackwake does sound the same in that regard. But the rpg style and the fact that the world continues after fights are over.. you go to repair or a mission or whatever, is really really appealing for me as well.

Since when is Blackwake round based? I really quite doubt that.

Anyway, I haven't been keeping up at all with the gazillion games in development.
Enough to do right here to keep me busy. :cheeky

This is NOT AT ALL a pirate game. It's a science fiction space ship simulator with some very shallow adventures.

So far it's primary claim to fame is just that, a space ship emulator that utilizes a crew. There are AI for positions, but they're pretty useless last time I played so it's best played with at least one other player.

IIRC I think that they may have souped up the planets and quests a bit in one of the last updates, but I'll saya again this is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM a pirate game other than maybe? They both have ships?

Back