• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Texture problem...I think...my ship is white

Well, I'm trying to make a Flying Dutchman with a Man-o-war look. I chose to do it because I want to cheat so badly and that Flying Dutchman is simply...ugly =P; and I love Man-o-wars.

I copied the files and changed the name of every file, replacing every "manowar" for "flyingdutch" and I came up with a strange result...the ship was white. How do I solve it?

Here's the picture from my dear whitie:

Full size image

The two ships are built differently. You will have to repaint that Man-O-War.

You need to HEX-Edit the model GM files to use your newly renamed texture files instead.

I see...thanks Pieter! But there's a tutorial or something like that that I can read about this? 'cause I really don't have much experience about it...I'm a complete newbie with a lot of disposition and curiosity. =P

Even if you do HEX edit the file, the Dutchman textures will not fit the Man-O-War properly because of differences in the models.
You need to modify the Man-O-War hull texture yourself, in a program like Photoshop or GIMP, to make it look like the Dutchman.
You will need the TX Converter to convert the TGA.TX file into a TGA file that you can edit, and to convert back to TGA.TX format when you're done.

Note if using GIMP: do not save the TGA file with 'RLE Compression', otherwise TX Converter will not recognise the file.

A HEX editor is available here, and is fairly easy to use. Open the Man-O-War hull model and scroll down to the name of the hull texture it uses.
Replace this name with the name of your custom texture (once finished), which must be the same length as the current texture name.
Then save the file, and the new texture will be used.

Neither of the above is very well documented here, so excuse the quick explanation. If you have any questions, just ask. ;)

I've read what you wrote again and a question came up. Wouldn't it by easier to simple hex edit the Flying Dutch files so that they only use the textures from the man-o-war? That was my inicial objective, you know, to use a man-o-war texture in the Flying Dutchman. In such a way that the Flying Dutchman holds no features of a Flying Dutchman, but of a man-o-war.

Edit: Forget what I said earlier.

What do you mean by saying "Make it look like the Dutchman"? How do I make it look like the Dutchman?

Well you can try it, but the result might look a bit strange, because the Man-O-War textures were not designed for the Dutchman hull.
If that's what you're trying to achieve though, why does your screenshot show a Man-O-War hull with no texture, not the Dutchman? :confused:

Well you can try it, but the result might look a bit strange, because the Man-O-War textures were not designed for the Dutchman hull.
If that's what you're trying to achieve though, why does your screenshot show a Man-O-War hull with no texture, not the Dutchman? :confused:

Yep, my screenshot shows that because I copied the manowar files (models, not textures) and pasted them into the Flying Dutchman folder and replaced every "manowar" in the file name for "flyingdutchman bla bla bla" as it was in each file. And for every file that the manowar lacked, I simply maintained the Flying Dutchman original file (don't know if deleting it could cause a crash).

But again, how do I make the manowar files look like the dutchman in the photoshop? What exactly do I need to do. I already opened the converted file, but simply looking at the pictures didn't give me any thoughts...

So you want to modify a manowar texture to look like the Dutchman texture, right?
It's a bit of a tricky process, but you need to copy the parts of the Dutchman texture and modify them to fit the lines of the manowar texture.
Using layers will be extremely useful, keeping the manowar texture as the background and gradually adding layers of Dutchman parts on top of it.
It's mostly a test of your Photoshop skills, so there's not much more I can do to help at this stage.

So you want to modify a manowar texture to look like the Dutchman texture, right?
It's a bit of a tricky process, but you need to copy the parts of the Dutchman texture and modify them to fit the lines of the manowar texture.
Using layers will be extremely useful, keeping the manowar texture as the background and gradually adding layers of Dutchman parts on top of it.
It's mostly a test of your Photoshop skills, so there's not much more I can do to help at this stage.

Actually, my objective is exactly the opposite of what you said. =P
But even so, I think your answer serves to both of the cases. I want to make my modified Dutchman (I'm using the debuger to bring him in-game) have the looks of a Man-O-war. Problem is: The Dutchman has 3 files in each Hull folder and the Man-O-war only 1. So to make the photoshop changes would modify only the first file, right? Since I'm trying to overlay the Dutchman with parts of the Man-O-war.

As I already replaced the model files of the Dutchman turning him into a Man-O-war with no texture, my only problem now is how to make the changes in such a way that the Dutchman Textures becomes Man-O-war ones.

Oh right, I think it get it now. :rolleyes: If you're using the Man-O-War hull and want Man-O-War-style textures, you just need to copy the Man-O-War texture into the Hull folders without modifying it, which means you don't need to worry about Photoshop at all. :facepalm The "white ship" problem was because the hull model was looking for its original texture, but the texture was not in the correct folders.

Oh right, I think it get it now. :rolleyes: If you're using the Man-O-War hull and want Man-O-War-style textures, you just need to copy the Man-O-War texture into the Hull folders without modifying it, which means you don't need to worry about Photoshop at all. :facepalm The "white ship" problem was because the hull model was looking for its original texture, but the texture was not in the correct folders.

The file names have no say in this? I mean, so I don't need to change the Man-O-War file names? Just keep it as it is and place them in the Flying Dutchman folders???

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!!!!!

It worked! :eek:

I just copied the Man-O-war files into the Flying Dutchman folders WITHOUT changing their names! I really thought the game would crash if I did this, 'cause it would look for the files with Dutchman names, but damn I was wrong! :facepalm

It means that the Model files actually changes the Texture files that the game look for?

Well, the model files themselves are linked to specific textures, regardless of where either one is placed.
So, a model will always look for the same texture unless you HEX edit the model to look for a different one.
The game just tells the model to search for that texture in a specific folder.

Anyway, glad that's sorted. :onya

Back