• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The best version of the game

barkra123

Landlubber
Hello, I have been playing POTC with New Horizons mod for the last few weeks and let me start by saying I am enjoying it a lot. Congrats and props to everyone involved in making it. What I like about it is the freedom and the number of things you can do in it, I also love it lets you create your own story without really relying on scripted quests. Now onto the question I wanted to ask. Is this the most feature rich version of the game that allows the most freedom and lets you do the most fun stuff? I checked a few topics about it on the forum but couldn't really discern a definitive answer. Also another question: is the Maelstrom engine worth shillling out the 12$ (since it's like 60 in my country)? I know you can play New Horizons and a bunch of other mods on it but is it much more stable than POTC: New Horizons? If not Maelstrom than is To Each His Own fun taking in mind my prefered playstyle, from what I've read it's much more linear. Thanks in advance.

Welcome @barkra123 :keith

Well I have somewhat the same situation as you, altough I played and enjoyed the "old" New Horizons a lot. But I never came along with the very dusty and old melee combat system. And I really cant play with that anymore. So I swapped to the Maelstorm 2.8 engine - port of NH, because the 2.8 engine offers a much more advanced melee combat system.

The latest ported Maelstorm version is BETA 4 WIP 31 from March 2016. It is - if you download it just and leave it - very stable and I'd say more stable than the original New Horizons, especially on more advanced PC systems and 64 bit systems.

To Each his Own is a complete different game and has nothing to do with New Horzizons or Maelstorm, and I tried it for about 2 hours and then got a refund because... nah, just nah :)

the Maelstorm porting of New Horizons has some limitations and bugs that came along with the porting, but I will try my best to find those bugs and (with help) sort them out. And add all the awesome stuff the new engine offers (Ship lightning e.g.)

So in conclusion for your question:

Keep in mind, that you can't use all the awesome features the guys here scripted for New Horzions, and it probably takes a long time, until the newer stuff gets ported correctly to Maelstorm

Some functions like the advanced combat system only work partically, which means that you need to accept graphical bugs etc.

So if you dont have a high end PC with a CPU that otherwise wouldn't get along with Storm 2.0, stay with the original New Horizons

If you have a "high-end" system with a 64bit architecture, you will most probably be better of with the Maelstorm engine, since it got an upgrade for 64-bit-addressing, which is very much noticable, both for stability and performance

-> if you already have an original copy of PotC, I'd question myself twice if you want to spend the extra 12$ for the Maelstorm, but I did (cheap dollar-course, I got it for 10 €, which is 1/3 of the current pricing for TEHO) and I didnt regret it so far..

BUT: I dont just play that game, I also enjoy modding and editing the files

Thanks for the reply @Pillat.
Since you have the Maelstrom engine I'd like to ask if you played any other mods for it namely Gentlemen of Fortune and ERAS. How do they compare to New Horizons feature-wise?

Well.. ERAS and GOF are basically more or less the same in its core (I didnt play both that much, I have to admit).

Feature wise.. they are faaar beyond from what NH offers. Also NH offers way more customization.. E.g. I prefer an a bit more arcady style of gameplay and I can easily customize turn rates, speed, cannon damage, cannon reload times etc. in the internalsettings.h of NH .. thats completely missing in ERAS / GOF.

GOF / ERAS feature a deeper melee system, but thats mainly from the vanilla 2.8 engine, and I am 99.99% certain, that it can be implemented into NH, too.

Simplified, I just say that ERAS and GOF are were NH was prolly 5 years ago, feature-wise.. at least, thats what I can tell from my rather short playtime from both.

If you want to try GOF, then I'd really advise to just buy Maelstorm, because ERAS and GOF are pretty much the same and you actually can play all 3 (or more accurate, all Storm games) with the same engine - excluded TEHO

Thanks again, I'm probably gonna hold off for now and wish you and others good luck porting New Horizons to Maelstrom engine. I'll buy it once it is ported a little better or I get bored with NH and want something a bit different yet similar to play.

Now onto the question I wanted to ask. Is this the most feature rich version of the game that allows the most freedom and lets you do the most fun stuff? I checked a few topics about it on the forum but couldn't really discern a definitive answer.
The best version would always be the latest version for NH if I say so myself. :yes Currently this: seadogs2_0001.jpg(2nd September2020)
Also another question: is the Maelstrom engine worth shillling out the 12$ (since it's like 60 in my country)? I know you can play New Horizons and a bunch of other mods on it but is it much more stable than POTC: New Horizons?
It's quite buggy right now as it's still using the old version and A LOT has been fixed since then. But yes, as @Pillat has said, it is definitely more stable, especially for modern PCs and Laptops. It just really needs updating. If you have the stock version of the game, I'd recommend that you should definitely just stick with BUILD 14.

But yes, it's worth it as you can play NH, ERAS II, GOF, etc. all for free. I'd just avoid that NH on Maelstrom for now until it's updated and fixed-not a lot of people play it using Maelstrom Engine that's why @ChezJfrey never really bothered with it and I'm still to report the bugs I found in there to him.
If not Maelstrom than is To Each His Own fun taking in mind my prefered playstyle, from what I've read it's much more linear. Thanks in advance.
Personally, I like TEHO more than GOF and ERAS II. I like that it has a more dynamic currency system which makes the game more immersive IMO.

Simple overview:
1. PotC:NH is the oldest, but with the most mod-added functionality
2. CoAS with GoF offers a lot of free play potential, including long optional sidequests
3. TEHO offers a lot of linear story potential

If I read you correctly, the other option to consider would be CoAS.

@Pieter Boelen ,yeah I remember playing CoAS sometime around 10 years ago and i enojed it. This is what led me to NH and from what I've played of both I think I enjoy NH a lot more but I guess I'll get Maelstrom in about a month or two to see how CoAS with GoF plays. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts on the matter.

Back