• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The brigantine's spanker

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
During a recent bit of playing, I noticed the brigantine's spanker turns the wrong way. Using TOOL to edit "Brigantina2_mast3.gm", changing locator "rey_a3" value XX from 1 to -1, makes it turn the right way - but perhaps too far. (It probably turned the same amount when it went the wrong way.)
full_starboard_wind.jpg full_starboard_wind2.jpg

If I change XX to -0.5, the spanker doesn't swing so far forward:
reduced_starboard_wind.jpg reduced_starboard_wind2.jpg

Does anyone with actual sailing experience or a detailed knowledge of sailing ships know which of these would be more realistic?

As evidence, here's the Black Pearl - not the fantasy version from some weird film, but a real brigantine of that name:
225black_pearl.jpg
Her spanker appears to be angled about the same as the game's brigantine with XX set to -0.5. The flags show the wind to be coming from starboard, as it is in the screenshots from the game.

Congratulations! You just discovered something new after all these years. :bow

If the spanker swings around too far it will foul the rigging and look ugly which indicates that it is swinging unrealistically. I never knew how to stop its swing sooner, but you have found out how to do it. I bet this works on lateens as well.

As Hylie already said, only the shrouds limit the rotation of the boom in the mizzen, so 0.5 looks fine to me

Back