• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Buccaneers of America

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
I was doing some searching for more pirate booty when I came across this little gem of a book this morning. 'De Americaensche Zee-rovers'(The Buccaneers of America) by Alexander O. Exquemelin, 1678. This book was written by Alexander O. Exquemelin, in the service of the French West India Company. It is a first hand account of his adventures in the Caribbean starting in April, 1666. In this book, he recounts in detail some of the exploits of the some of the most famous privateers and pirates of the time. Including Bartholomeus De Portugees, Henry Morgan, Francois Lolonois and a right bloody bastard simply known as The Rock of Brazil! It's an interesting listen to say the least!

The book is presented in an interactive Flash format, with translated English audio. It is presented by U.S. Library of Congress on their Culture and History of the Americas website. You can find the complete flash presentation HERE!

frontpiecezeerovers.jpg

canonssb.jpg

buccaneers.jpg

Beautiful find Thagarr!!! I ordered it from Amazon as soon as I saw this content. http://www.amazon.com/Buccaneers-America-Alexander-O-Exquemelin/dp/048640966X

Thanks Mate!

Old Rock Braziliano was one mean blood thirsty mamma jamma. You don't seem to hear a lot about him these days. I remember he was a character you'd fight in the old original 1980's version of Sid Meier's Pirates. He was Dutch, starting out his career in Bahia Brazil during the 30 years or so it was under Dutch occupation and then went over to privateering for the English. He was known to shoot men who refused to drink with him and cut off the limbs, boil and spit Spanish prisoners.

I seem to remember him being played by Anthony Quinn in one of the old Hollywood classic films with Marine O'Hara, but I can't remember which one.

I think he'd make a GREAT character in COAS.

MK

Thanks MK! I had heard the name Rock Braziliano before, but I couldn't remember where, now I do! Your right, he would make a great character for the build mod! We have had a bad guy here or there, but not a bloody butcher like this maniac! You would think after putting together and editing all those tutorials, I would get a clue about modding wouldn't you? xD:

Maybe once we get the Books Mod finished and New Horizons ported over to Storm 2.8, or at least most of it, I'll try to talk FireBat, Darkhymn, and Luke into giving us a hand on this.

1.2 Million Stallion?! Holy crap that's a lot of doubloons! :woot

Not that hard to find out, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Exquemelin

Thanks MK! I had heard the name Rock Braziliano before, but I couldn't remember where, now I do! Your right, he would make a great character for the build mod! We have had a bad guy here or there, but not a bloody butcher like this maniac! You would think after putting together and editing all those tutorials, I would get a clue about modding wouldn't you? xD:

Maybe once we get the Books Mod finished and New Horizons ported over to Storm 2.8, or at least most of it, I'll try to talk FireBat, Darkhymn, and Luke into giving us a hand on this.

Rock Braziliano appears as a bad guy in Bartolomeu's Assassin ( Johan Elting storyline )

:cheeky

"When Buccaneers of America was published in English, pirate Sir Henry Morgan sued him [Exquemelin ] for libel and won. Exquemelin had painted Morgan as a black-hearted villain. This did not bother him. What Morgan objected to was the fact Exquemelin had said that he had first gone out to the West Indies as an indentured servant. Morgan insisted that he 'never was a servant to anybody in his life, unless to his Majesty'. The publishers were forced to pay £200 damages and Exquemelin had to amend the English edition book. "

So it is OK to call me a murderer, torturer, sadist, or other bad names.

BUT say I was someones servant :shock and not a gentleman and I will see you in court.

Morgan is my type of guy :rofl

Rock Braziliano appears as a bad guy in Bartolomeu's Assassin ( Johan Elting storyline ) :cheeky

Thanks Talisman, I was not aware of that, I never got around to playing Bartolomeu's Assassin quest.

Back