• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Caribbean Sail

Ahoy there!

I'm the sole developer of this four year endeavor to make a pixelated masterpiece of a game.

image-asset.png

You take the role of a Captain, name your crew, purchase supplies and a ship, choose a destination, and sail to survive an onslaught of misfortunes adventures as you build reputation and become either a privateer or pirate.

There's also an optional fantasy mode with a unique storyline of its own and a horde of new encounters and fantastic locations.

Later this year I plan on Kickstarting and releasing a physical edition of the game and soundtrack on CD!

Take a gander on Steam: Save 66% on The Caribbean Sail on Steam

Attachments

• The Caribbean Sail - Box.jpg
    The Caribbean Sail - Box.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 120
There's also an optional fantasy mode with a unique storyline of its own and a horde of new encounters and fantastic locations.
For the true Pirates of the Caribbean fans, eh?
Nice going!

Later this year I plan on Kickstarting and releasing a physical edition of the game and soundtrack on CD!
Old-school, eh? EEEExcellent!
All this digital-only stuff might be convenient; but there is something classy about physical releases.

Are you done developing this game now?
And do you have any future plans already?

Old-school, eh? EEEExcellent!
All this digital-only stuff might be convenient; but there is something classy about physical releases.

Are you done developing this game now?

And do you have any future plans already?

I completely agree. There's a book shelf conversation starter quality that is lost without that physicality.

On development; The game is complete but there will be another update before the physical version goes out on CD and depending on how well the Kickstarter performs, that update may feature more content.

On future plans; There have been a plethora of requests for a mobile port and we've announced another game that's on the backburner for now. Truth be told, my coffers are nearly empty and if the physical edition Kickstarter doesn't do well, I won't be able to afford this career as a full time job anymore.

Spread the nautical gospel if you enjoy my work!
- The Captain

I completely agree. There's a book shelf conversation starter quality that is lost without that physicality.
True!
I've got quite some stuff on my bookshelfs here, partly also to be able to talk to people about it.
Not that I get many visitors, but still... it's nice to look at. :cheeky

Truth be told, my coffers are nearly empty and if the physical edition Kickstarter doesn't do well, I won't be able to afford this career as a full time job anymore.
Ouch!
You've been doing Indie game development on your own fulltime?
That must've been quite the risky move to pull off.
I salute you for taking the plunge; and actually DOING that!

Now I wonder what we could still think of to give you a bit more exposure.
Do you use Facebook? I am in a whole bunch of groups that I could invite you to; and where you could try to mention something about your work.

I'm also reminded of how Blackmark Studios (Sea Dogs: To Each His Own) and @Armada's Skyward Digital (Buccaneers!) use the same publisher (Valkyrie Initiative).
And they had this announcement lately:
BlackMark Studio is starting a strategic cooperation with a number of other Open World Pirate RPGs. We will support each other, sell our games together and offer exclusive deals to all our players. If you are a true fan of Sea Dogs and games of similar genres - you don’t want to miss it!

The first on the list is
Buccaneers!

Sea Dogs: To Each His Own - Pirate Open World RPG - Sea Dogs franchise is getting a big announcement this summer! - Steam News
I cannot speak for any of them; but is there any way you might be able to lift along...?
Or otherwise speak with @Volodymyr from Mauris (Save the Pirates!; Corsairs Legacy) who is also generally quite open about talking to people?

Spread the nautical gospel if you enjoy my work!
- The Captain
Nautical gospel?
ALWAYS! :cheers

Also...
How do you feel about Pastafarianism?
For some odd reason, I have to think of that right now.
I wonder why... ;)

You've been doing Indie game development on your own fulltime?
That must've been quite the risky move to pull off.
I salute you for taking the plunge; and actually DOING that!

Probably not the right thread to tell my life story but the short version is that I started young and my overhead has been covered while I try to make a sustainable career.
The growing pains are reaching their limit and I'm determined to stay independent or die trying.
I'm currently optimistic since I've heard nothing but enthusiasm for the physical release!

Now I wonder what we could still think of to give you a bit more exposure.
Do you use Facebook? I am in a whole bunch of groups that I could invite you to; and where you could try to mention something about your work.

When I first tried to get onto Facebook it became too intrusive instantly and I backed out.
I'd appreciate any help you can offer if you enjoy my work and want to review it or simply share links!

How do you feel about Pastafarianism?
For some odd reason, I have to think of that right now.
I wonder why... ;)

-because you can wear full pirate regalia while giving a sermon!
Sauce be upon him and his noodly appendage,
Ramen.

Probably not the right thread to tell my life story but the short version is that I started young and my overhead has been covered while I try to make a sustainable career.
The growing pains are reaching their limit and I'm determined to stay independent or die trying.
I'm currently optimistic since I've heard nothing but enthusiasm for the physical release!
If this isn't the right thread, feel free to start another one for it.
Always fun and fascinating to really get to know people.

My "little" brother is actually starting his own game development studies in a few months.
I'll be quite curious to see how and where he'll eventually be able to conjure up his money from.
Based on what I know, the game industry can be quite competitive.
But thankfully between Indie developers, things can be quite friendly.
Certainly things on the pirate gaming front have definitely been becoming quite lively again this year; with more cooperation than I've seen in a long long time.
It's really a nice thing to see happen! :woot

When I first tried to get onto Facebook it became too intrusive instantly and I backed out.
I'd appreciate any help you can offer if you enjoy my work and want to review it or simply share links!
I'm not sure how much time I could afford to spend helping.
There's a lot on my plate; and the things I want to do are... ambitious FAAAR beyond actual reason.

I barely get (take?) the time to play games at all these days.
Even though it should be quite fun to do al sorts of "research" and write down my thoughts about it all.
I've definitely been considering documenting my sizeable collection of interesting stuff here.
But there's only one of me; and a whooole bunch of things to check out... :shock

I wished there were someone who could just go around the various Facebook pages and just subtly mention all the cool things happening in Indie Land.
Who has the time though? I do a bit here and there when the fancy strikes me; but good advertising is a science all to its own...

Do you have any specific FSM elements in your game?
The Spaghetti Monster groups are pretty darn big! And generally talk a lot of hilarious crap.
Inserting some interactive piratey value in there is something I've always been curious to try; just to see what kind of response could be stirred up there.

And yep; Facebook IS a weird place.
It can be a bit intrusive; and it's also definitely strangely buggy in my experience; for such a famous billion-dollar platform. o_O

-because you can wear full pirate regalia while giving a sermon!
Sauce be upon him and his noodly appendage,
Ramen.
That's the spirit, me hearty!
Rev. Petrus D.M. Boelen salutes you as a friendly fellow (fella?). :cheers
*grabs pirate hat from my cupboard*

Does that work? I'm still getting the hang of the whole Pastafarian thing.
I've loved it ever since I heard about it; and the Gospel is a work of art.
But I'm not used to acting like it. Roman Catholic upbringing will do that for ya... :facepalm

Back