1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Low Priority The Curse of Davy Jones

Discussion in 'Build Testing List' started by Pieter Boelen, May 10, 2015.

1. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    We haven't discussed that yet, because that would require some actual storyline content to be written which is definitely more time-consuming to do.
    Would certainly add to the game though and if somebody would be willing to do it, I'd be happy to support that wherever necessary.

2. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

3. Pieter Boelen

Has anyone gotten around to trying this yet? What changes still need to be made to make this fun and interesting?

4. Levis

Levis Find(Rum) = false; Staff Member Programmer Creative Support Storm Modder

ICT
    Did someone test this already?

5. Pieter Boelen

This has been in the game now for well over a month. Has anyone tried playing as Davy Jones?
    Does that seem like a potentially fun challenge or is it too evil/boring? If so, what ideas do you have to make it more reasonable and interesting?

6. Pieter Boelen

There has been absolutely zero feedback on this. If nobody cares to comment, we'll just include this as-is for the Beta 4 release.
    Maybe some players "out there" will care to comment once they get to play like this.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    Levis likes this.
  7. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

I thought perhaps Davy Jones' loophole of being allowed ashore once had been implemented. (Technically he's allowed ashore once every ten years - good luck playing long enough for that to matter. :D)

8. Pieter Boelen

Nothing has been changed, no. Never really got all that much feedback on it from players plus no time to change it either.

And that is indeed the main reason why I'm not convinced that is worth bothering with. :cheeky

9. Pieter Boelen

Capturing crew from enemy ships isn't enough then, is it?

I wonder if something can be done with Reputation and Fame affecting the surrender chances.
    We've got some ideas in that direction, but aren't anywhere close to implementing them yet.

The only curse for crew is currently the "Curse of Cortez" which is triggered by cursed coins.
    For Davy Jones, really a different curse would be needed.

Maybe he could at least be set to visibly get those custom seaweedy skeleton models.

:rofl

Maybe Davy should start the game with a higher starting level.
    If players want to be immortal, they can use the cheatmode, of course; not sure if that should be included as part of regular play.

You do get the "Chest of Davy Jones" item, of course. But that is just a "flag" for the game to curse you.

DIFFICUUUULT! :shock

10. Levis

ICT
    lol I now imagine a chest being spawned in every level by using the build set (which are actually characters) and this chest has hitpoints, as soon as the chest is killed you are killed also. Else you are just immortal.
    It should be possible XD, but I'm not going to make it anytime soon I think.

11. Pillat

Pillat Sea Demon Storm Modder

Student
    Well 1) it is not that easy to capture a ship before I "accidentally" destroy it (I love those cannons).
    2) If I board it, the crew fights and then there are only few men left.. here is the thing.. I mean.. you wouldn't fight Davy Jones in a boarding unless you are an indoctrinated navy soldier, would you?

Yes those greeny Skeletons would be enough - thats just an optical thing and it doesnt matter if your crew is actually cursed or not.

Can we add extra starting HP to specific characters? That would be enough I guess.

Yes, I know^^ but maybe it is possible to trigger it after some years that occasionally enemy captains have found it and then try to duel you.

12. Pieter Boelen

But YOU would need to be ashore for anyone to attack the chest. And you can't get ashore.

Fair point! :rofl

True. But if they all instantly surrender, what gameplay would there be? :unsure

I think that's doable.

That should be relatively easy too.

13. Pillat

Student
    any non navy-ship should at least have a huge morale drop if the Dutchman emerges right next to them xD

I think the kraken attack might really help here. After a kraken attack you get loaded to a shipdeck and one of your crewmember says "Capt'n - we have x survivors, the rest went into the beyond" and then you can choose if you take them all or take just some or kill all.
    Dont know if it is possible this way

14. Pieter Boelen

I think the reputation/fame thing should take care of that.
    Hopefully. Eventually....

Theoretically possible. Somebody would need to find the time to do it though.

15. Pillat

Student
    Well as long as this storyline gets no high priority - leave it. It would be a cool feature but even I dont play the Dutchman that much, and I think most of the others even less or not at all.
    Only the surrendering should get a buff for Davy Jones tho, and it will be fine

16. Pieter Boelen

It is just low priority because near as I know, virtually nobody plays it and there is quite a bit to be done on other things.

But since you ARE actually trying it now, I very much appreciate the feedback!
    No guarantees on when something might happen, but when I do get round to doing something, it'll be good to know what changes would help to make it better. :onya

With a bit of luck, that will indeed happen the soonest as it can integrate well with a larger change that I've been wanting to make for a while. :yes

17. Levis

ICT
    with my new buff system its just matter of adding some simple lines to the startcase for davy jones. You can give him extra HP and even boost his skills if you want.
    Adding some crew after the kraken attack should be simpel. having you pick from them would be harder ...

18. Pieter Boelen

Why not just a simple HPbonus? :unsure

19. Levis

ICT
    gives the same effect :). the function would just call the HP bonus function eventually.

20. Pieter Boelen

What's the advantage of using the buff system instead?