• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Historical Ships Mod

Why are ships like the RN_Lineship and Warship4 and most other Warships set up as merchant ships?
Especially the RN_Lineship and Warship4 are definitly supposed to be navy ships, with that colour scheme. :?

That's what I thought at first, but it looks like Doober did it on purpose.
He also set those ships to have the "Armed Merchantman" type name. :?

I am now here to answer your questions, apparently my decision has caused quite a stir. The ships are too big to be frigates, but they only have 40 guns on the supposed lineships and 44 guns on the warships. They really don't fit into any category of fighting ship. (To be honest, I think the warships should be completely taken out of the game as the stern of the ship is completely unrecognizable as a sailing ship. It's just a big flat awkward box. But that is besides the point). I was faced with the choice of keeping them as lineships that are weaker than frigates or move them to heavy merchantships. I felt that they would closer reflect east indiamen type ships as the dimensions are closer to those of a merchant ship than to a actual fighting ship, and east indiamen regularly carried heavy cannon to fend off frigates. I do agree that the two ships listed above do have a Royal navy paint scheme, so that may not have been the best choice, but I couldn't really come up with much of an alternate purpose for them. If they had 50-64 guns on them, they would make great 4th rate ships of the line, but 40 is just too light for that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better solution? I can certainly change them to whatever the community would think is best.

I'm not quite sure, really. I was quite surprised when I noticed it at first, but there is some sense in the change.
And the Indiaman ship type is actually yellow-and-black too, so it's not too crazy to imagine.
I suppose I'll leave it up to those who know better than me. :razz

On the Lineships, if someone added some more cannons, I think they would be great to use as 4th rates again, but I don't know how to do that and wouldn't presume on others to do it. As far as the warships, like I said above, I wouldn't be sad to see them gone altogether, but if they stay in, I think they look like large merchants ships the most and think they are best rated as such.

Maybe someone else will have a good idea, I'm open to whatever the other modders think.

I am too. :cheeky

I know Petros once added some cannons to a fleut model, if I recall.
He actually painted some more gunports on the model and added cannon locators.
But that's not something that's easy to do well. :shrug

There is the AmericanHeavyWarship model, but that thing is so covered in guns, I have no idea how it floats. xD: I think there are 74 guns on that ship!

I think something a bit less armed might look good.

:gday

i`ve been addressed here.
right at the beginning of the game (standard storyline), when leaving barbados the french warships chased a pirate merchantship, which surrendered.
i boarded the ship :wp and swapped that with the lugger.
so, i found myself with a 9lb 30 guns merchantship classified as 6th class ship with no penalty.
too much for a start, imo.

off topic: is possible to code the boarding so that if a france, pirate, spanish etc ship succeeds, the ship hoist the winner nation colour and acts accordingly during battle?
how many times i bumped into large fleets battling each others and leaving a mastodontic number of surrendered ships with almost half crew and acting like sitting ducks!
however just a thought.

Vinnipuk, I'm not quite sure how to address that problem because I think the problem there is more the fact of being able to board ships that you don't cause to surrender than anything else. Even if the ship that you had boarded was a class 2 warship, you would still have been able to board it and capture it, you would have had a subtraction to you leadership and such, but that hardly matters when you are a level 1 in leadership at the beginning of the game anyhow. Any thoughts on how to improve things?

It'd be nice to somehow be able to add a check to see if YOU really DID make the ship surrender.
Such as check whether any of your cannonballs hit the other ship.

I do like that idea, I don't know how to do that though.

It would be cool if a ship would surrender just to another ship rather than to an entire nation.

I don't know how to do it either. Probably is possible though.
When your cannonball was the one that sunk an enemy ship, the game also knows.
I reckon something similar would be good.

What about ships that surrender to other ships than the player one?
What should happen to those? Right now it seems like a get-out-of-jail-free card for NPC ships.
Not that it particularly matters to me anyway. :shrug

Maybe it should be set so that ships that surrender to you or ship under your command are boardable, all other surrendered ships are not boardable. Or have a check where if your crew is less than a certain amount (like 2/3 of the boarded ship) the surrendered ship will resist boarding and fight you on the decks.

That second option sounds like it may be easier to code, although I still wouldn't know how to do it.

The main issue, I think, is defining whether the ship surrenders to you or not.
I'm not sure how it's done at the moment; it might just take the nearest hostile ship.

Back